unioncreek

Looking for pattern for FN holster?

I'm looking for a IWB holster for a FN FNS9.  Or at least an outline of one, barrel length is 4.5".  Making a holster for my son for his birthday.

Thanks,

Bob

Can't help with a pattern but a good place to start is to find a gun of roughly the same dimension. Then look at JLS for a pattern for THAT gun. Then use his tutorial on how to make holsters. Update. With my quick checking on line you can use a G19 holster pattern. Have to "tweek" the stitch line. But that's where I'd start.

Edited by Mattsbagger

Well, tha's one way.  Other hand, if'n a fella already got the gun in question.. LOTS o holsters made without any pattern at all :whistle:

One day I simply MUST do a video about howta go bout that there..

Tons of videos on how to do that already.  Check out the Facebook group Holster for Handguns.  Bunch of guys there already on it, including Eric Adams from this site.  Wouldn't want you to re-invent the wheel, Jeff.

Here's one of many on how to do it from Google.  

20 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Tons of videos on how to do that already.  Check out the Facebook group Holster for Handguns.  Bunch of guys there already on it, including Eric Adams from this site.  Wouldn't want you to re-invent the wheel, Jeff.

Yeah, re-inventing is a nice word for piggy-backing on the efforts of others - and I try to leave that to the soft fellas ;)

But that video shows nothing.  Matt was talking about making a holster from a pattern, and I was mentioning making a holster without a pattern and - correct me if I'm wrong - that video doesn't show either of those.  That's the exact type of thing I like to avoid... lots of hype, lots of hashtags, but no actual info.  

I will go check the Fakebook thing - always like to give a guy benefit of doubt :whistle:

No matter, though -- this was a duplicate post, and somebody already offered the OP a fix... don't know if he took it or not.

Edited by JLSleather

YIKES!  Talk about re-inventing the wheel .. I'd count how many holsters over there (Facebook group Holster for Handguns) with my design (and not one shout out to Jeff) but I got stuff to gitter dun today ;)

Thought for the day... how many leather crafters use the same design / pattern before it's no longer "custom"? :whistle:

Credit to Aaron S for the elephant accent shoulder rig --- nice lookin' stutf there Aaron.

Edited by JLSleather

As I said, one of many.  I grabbed the first one I saw which shows a time-lapse of pattern development.  Its at the very front of the video.  THEN he made the holster.  Not rocket science.  But you're right about the usefulness of the thing.   Just a matter of a little google fu and you have a full on pattern video.  As for custom, there are only so many ways to wrap leather around a gun, ammiright?  Believe you said those words yerself a few years ago.  Either way, you wanna make another video on how to, feel free.  I'm just saying there are already videos aplenty on that topic.

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

As for custom, there are only so many ways to wrap leather around a gun, ammiright?  Believe you said those words yerself a few years ago

Actually, that do sound like me :whistle:

Still, I can only find one video on holster making that's actually of any real use (and I certainly have looked), and that was from Sam Andrews.  To date, I hadn't made one BECAUSE I have no objection to referring people to his.

But, Sam does a good job of showing HOW to make a holster (and it's instructional in that when the video is done, a guy actually could make a holster from what he watched). Sam started with his own pattern - meaning a guy would need either a pattern, or the ability to make one, to use that information.  Fair enough.

So, Sam has covered (very well) how to make a holster from scratch from a pattern.  So the only ways left to add to that video ( and not simply copy for attention, thus NOT riding on Sam's coat tails) would be:

• supplying a pattern, or
  • instructing on how to make their own pattern, or
  • instruction on how to make a holster without a pattern.

And that is the video I have not seen.

So wait you can't find a pattern making video for a holster???

Here's a few right off the top.  I am not vouching for quality, but if a guy wanted to learn how, I'm sure this would put them on the right track.

Well, I'm gonna go on agree that maybe we won't comment on quality :innocent:  Bottom line, though.. one guy says 3/4" offset, another guy say 5/8" offset, and otherwise just what was clearly stated in Stohlman's How to Make Holsters.- nothing to add, and yet they "added". :dunno:

But, it aint about what I think is good - -but rather about are people being shown.  Since that one video has 17k views, I'm gonna take that as people might need some help!  

So, not really my responsibility, but it does seem there is something as yet to be said.

In the interest of not necessarily about what Jeff likes, if you have a favorite video you actually learned something about holster making, let us know over here in this nuther thread .

Sorry I haven't responded, been extremely busy and a swath in the family.

i don't have the pistol in my possession, my son lives 300 miles away . I do have instruction on making a pattern and will send to him.  He drives truck so it will probably take him  a while to get it back to me. Probably turn into a winter project.

I've looked at JLS's webpage and read through all the holster instructions.

Bob

On 7/13/2017 at 1:47 PM, JLSleather said:

So, Sam has covered (very well) how to make a holster from scratch from a pattern.  So the only ways left to add to that video ( and not simply copy for attention, thus NOT riding on Sam's coat tails) would be:

• supplying a pattern, or
  • instructing on how to make their own pattern, or
  • instruction on how to make a holster without a pattern.

And that is the video I have not seen.

I could have stated this more clearly.

You could obtain a pattern, then follow that video, or

You could make a pattern, then follow that video, or

since you have the gun you could make a holster for it without using a pattern ;) (and this is the video I haven't seen, though it may exist)