Here is my new completely handstitched cartridge bag, should have brass buckles I know, I may change them or sell this as a fashion bag. Let me know what you guys think 

IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

Looks like it is really well made.  The thick shoulder strap is a great idea for comfort with such a heavy load too.  Very nice.

Thank you very much

Looks great!

I think it's amazing work, and for hand stitching, outstanding work.

I'd carry shells to the range in it.

Sorry guys seem to have missed your comments here! Thankyou very much for them, better late than never! :) 

very nice

Thanks 

Super impressed with your work, love how you positioned the buckle on the side of the pouch - that's different!

9 hours ago, Bonecross said:

Super impressed with your work, love how you positioned the buckle on the side of the pouch - that's different!

Cheers matey :) there is a buckle on both sides so the wearer can change the strap easily, I've made a strap with extra cartridge pockets ( in case 75 isn't enough in the main compartment!!) 

what do you recon about the buckles do you think they should be traditional brass? I've had a lot of shooting folk saying that's a must, probably worth investing for the next one. 

It's a great looking bag, and I think the buckles are fine.  They aren't overly shiny, which might look a bit out of place.  Brass would really look great to give it a little more traditional look, and if it were for anything black powder related would be a must.  

Bill

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

It's a great looking bag, and I think the buckles are fine.  They aren't overly shiny, which might look a bit out of place.  Brass would really look great to give it a little more traditional look, and if it were for anything black powder related would be a must.  

Bill

Yes I think brass would be best. Forgive me for being dim but I'm not very well versed in everything shooting and just make to customers specifications, I'm sure I'll keep finding out new things, what do you mean by black powder? 

I realize this bag is for cartridges, where the gun powder is contained in brass cartridges, but some folks out there still mess around with muzzle loading guns (muskets and such) and hence carry gunpowder to load them.   Anything that might create a spark could potentially be disastrous - steel/iron can spark, brass won't.   Since modern gear evolved out of that older style of shooting accessories, it's probably one of the reasons that brass is still preferred - for practical reasons in the past, and historic reasons now.

Bill

have to agree with billy, the buckles look fine. If you were entering a competition that required you to stay within the period then yea change them.  

If the customer wants something done a certain way I do it also, i will show them options to see if their mind changes. i have several customers that have told me to do that thing i do & they keep wanting more. 

Do you know the 

4 hours ago, goody2shoes said:

What do you recon about the buckles do you think they should be traditional brass? I've had a lot of shooting folk saying that's a must, probably worth investing for the next one. 

IMHO,

For hunting, antiqued/darkened solid brass is so ideal! Acetone / liver of sulfur / oven. Kills the flash - a hunter can spook prey with a small flash of reflected light.

For show? Shiny solid brass. If they wanted to polish the brass they could bring it back to a high shine with some Brasso...

And if you can, get the buckles stamped "solid" - cause I guarantee the customer will see that ;)

Afterthought: you could also look into nickel "fuming" with vinegar - darkens the nickel hardware.

Edited by Bonecross

23 minutes ago, billybopp said:

I realize this bag is for cartridges, where the gun powder is contained in brass cartridges, but some folks out there still mess around with muzzle loading guns (muskets and such) and hence carry gunpowder to load them.   Anything that might create a spark could potentially be disastrous - steel/iron can spark, brass won't.   Since modern gear evolved out of that older style of shooting accessories, it's probably one of the reasons that brass is still preferred - for practical reasons in the past, and historic reasons now.

Bill

Ah that makes sense thanks for explaining bill! :) 

17 minutes ago, Bonecross said:

Do you know the 

IMHO,

For hunting, antiqued/darkened solid brass is so ideal! Acetone / liver of sulfur / oven. Kills the flash - a hunter can spook prey with a small flash of reflected light.

For show? Shiny solid brass. If they wanted to polish the brass they could bring it back to a high shine with some Brasso...

And if you can, get the buckles stamped "solid" - cause I guarantee the customer will see that ;)

Afterthought: you could also look into nickel "fuming" with vinegar - darkens the nickel hardware.

Great thanks for this, 

looking into changing the nickel would be a good idea too, the reason I used nickel is because I got a huge amount of buckles free with some leather so it would be useful to make them usable and not so shiny and new looking! 

'Fuming' oooh sounds intriguing