MY63

Edge slickers

One of our spaniels took a liking to my edge slicker, I had always thought it was a little on the small side especially as I have some restricted movement in my right hand.

Anyway I decided to make my own by chance I was in my local Axminster tool store and asked the assistant if he knew of a local wood turner who might be able to make one for me. He told me that they have a demonstration day on Tuesdays and they would turn one for me FOC yes free.

I ordered some oak from a timber merchant and worked out that the best thickness for my hand was 28 mm looking at the items I have made I decided to have multiple grooves of varying thicknesses.

I had to buy a 1.8 m piece of timber and on arrival spoke to the man doing the demonstration he basically offered to make me as many as I wanted. I asked him to make three using one third of the wood I gave him the rest.

Picture one shows what is left of the original with the larger replacement the inner part is rounded to give well rounded edges

35503806106_66172e0710_z.jpg20170621_105856[1] by my0771, on Flickr

Picture two is the same style but with flat bottoms for square edges it also has an extra groove which was an error but not the end of the world.

35503803536_2165a440b1_z.jpg20170621_105837[1] by my0771, on Flickr

The final example has much less of a taper at the end to enable me to grip it with my damaged hand

35503802406_1c4937c09c_z.jpg20170621_105812[1] by my0771, on Flickr

I would have been happy to pay someone to make them for me as they are so easy to use if anyone is interested they are 200 mm long and 28mm in diameter I chose grooves that suited the sizes of leather that I use the most.

That is really cool, good for you! What kind of wood did you end up using?  I didn't have any wood turners that I could find, so I had to DIY it. I took one of the dowels that they sent with my Blue Guns, chucked it in the drill, and put my knife to it. Not nearly that nice, but it works.

The wood is red oak.

Nice job. Tools that fit our hands is nice. I have an awl made by a forum member that fits my hand perfectly. It really relieves the strain.KIMG0552-540x960.thumb.JPG.afbe211a9b4b51e2fb85541f6d757006.JPG

Nigel Armitage has slickers made for him too. 2 different styles round grooves and flat grooves. His are also bigger than the standard ones. I think a bigger one would be more comfortable in the hand also. From what I can tell there is no wrong slicker if it works for you.lol Good idea to make the grooves the size you use most. That's the problem with most "one size fits most" they end up not. So done babbling now.... They look good to me and I would buy one if I came across it.lol

Captquirk Yes as Bikermutt07 said it is Oak I was in the same position until I came across these guys here is one of my earlier efforts in walnut the length is about right but it was still too thin for my hand.

35400012502_2a2c086d73_z.jpg20170627_141207[1] by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks Mattsbagger I thought Nigel had stopped doing them as they don't seem to be on his website anymore ? I had them made for my needs one has round grooves the other two have flat. As long as they slick the edges that is good enough for me.

Thats pretty cool! I've often felt like I could benefit from a fatter burnisher too. Got to find me a local woodturner. :)

I thought I would share my first use of my new slicker on a project. I moistened the edge and made three or four passes with the slicker as the edge is going to be dyed I wont do any more in fact I will lightly sand it to allow the dye to penetrate the leather.

35586789286_7e3fb83551_z.jpg20170630_103610[1] by my0771, on Flickr 

You definitely don't need to sand before you dye. And  can burnish with the dye still wet and get a nice edge.

Thanks Mattsbagger I guess having worked with wood previously it is hard to break the habit of lightly sanding between coats :) I have tried to take a picture of the finished edges but it is quite difficult anyway here is the best picture.

I did not want to use my new slickers on wet dye but I did and it worked out ok.

35514465111_eb1458fe31_z.jpg20170701_092222[1] by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks

Michael