Just finished up this long wallet prototype on the weekend - this was my first attempt at a zipper and it worked out ok.  I've made many wallets and field tested them all, I'm finding that with wallets, something might look good, but it ends up being not practical or functional enough for me IRL.  I don't want to be standing at the cash register and shoving folded bills into my minimalist wallet, or fighting with three cards stacked on top of each other.  This zippered pocket pleases my, aesthetically, but I can't imagine what I would carry in it.  And the fact that it floats does not appeal to my girlfriend, but it makes sense from a design standpoint since it may get bulky.

I'm working on version 2.0 and will incorporate a fold-over snap closure of some sort.  And probably go for the obligatory grommet/chain attachment "biker" look, just to give it a go.  I'd appreciate comments about or experiences with form over function, that to me is the real challenge with this craft.  Once you get the skills to be able to craft these things, then it comes down to making it better. (stronger, faster :)).  Feedback is most welcomed.  Have a great day folks!

wallet_1.jpg

wallet_2.jpg

wallet_3.jpg

wallet_4.jpg

wallet_5.jpg

wallet_6.jpg

The execution on this is very nice.  I agree with your wife on the pocket.  I think leaving it "floating" will encourage too much stuffing and it will become unwieldy.  You mention it getting too bulky, I think the design will encourage that.  It is already very thick, IMHO.  I would put a fancy silk or something in the cutout to add some flair.  I might also use a creaser on the pockets and around the cutout to add some feature, but that is my personal style and doesn't appeal to everyone certainly.

I wouldn't dismiss the grommet as a "biker" thing.  It is a safety thing.  Back in the day men wore coats, even in the summer and long wallets could be carried in the breast pocket.  This made them less likely to be lifted by a pickpocket.  Not impossible, mind you, just less likely.  Today, lots of folks stuff a long wallet in their back pocket, where it sticks up as an easy and tempting target.  Hence the need to chain it down.

So, unless the wallet is going into a case or purse, the design is somewhat dictated by where on your person it will be residing.

You mention minimalist wallets.  I tend to favor them and they don't have to be as you describe.  I have several I've made that are super thin, compact and efficient.  I neither stack three cards nor do I find it hard to access the cash.  I agree with you that some have taken an approach that is less than convenient.  But there are always tradeoffs, no matter which style you choose.

Oh, last thing, I think you nailed the stitching distance from the edge, it is just right to my eyes.

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

The execution on this is very nice.  I agree with your wife on the pocket.  I think leaving it "floating" will encourage too much stuffing and it will become unwieldy.  You mention it getting too bulky, I think the design will encourage that.  It is already very thick, IMHO.  I would put a fancy silk or something in the cutout to add some flair.  I might also use a creaser on the pockets and around the cutout to add some feature, but that is my personal style and doesn't appeal to everyone certainly.

I wouldn't dismiss the grommet as a "biker" thing.  It is a safety thing.  Back in the day men wore coats, even in the summer and long wallets could be carried in the breast pocket.  This made them less likely to be lifted by a pickpocket.  Not impossible, mind you, just less likely.  Today, lots of folks stuff a long wallet in their back pocket, where it sticks up as an easy and tempting target.  Hence the need to chain it down.

So, unless the wallet is going into a case or purse, the design is somewhat dictated by where on your person it will be residing.

You mention minimalist wallets.  I tend to favor them and they don't have to be as you describe.  I have several I've made that are super thin, compact and efficient.  I neither stack three cards nor do I find it hard to access the cash.  I agree with you that some have taken an approach that is less than convenient.  But there are always tradeoffs, no matter which style you choose.

Oh, last thing, I think you nailed the stitching distance from the edge, it is just right to my eyes.

I appreciate the comments Tugadude, and I agree with the cutout needing some fabric lining, which I've done in the past (like the photo).  I also get what you are saying about the safety/security thing with the wallet leash & grommets.  I have been practicing my 4 strand round braid and would like to incorporate that into the leash at some point soon.  Thanks for the stitching comment too, the thread is 1mm tiger, the stitch distance is 1/8" minus the burnishing.  I'm in a love/hate with 1mm tiger at the moment, at 5 spi it looks good, anything tighter than that and it gets too chunky IMHO.  On smaller pieces like card holders and minimal wallets, I feel the 5 spi/1mm combo looks less elegant, on this larger one it worked.  The tiger thread is such a pleasure to work with.  I think I'll abandon the floating pouch at this point, tack it down and see what happens.  That's part of the fun, no? Trial & error, and learning through it all.  Cheers!

gf wallet.jpg