Hi guys i have recently opened up my potion of vinegroom that I made a few months ago and it's taken quite well to the leather and gone a really deep black but it bloody stinks! 

I used cider vinigar and rusty nails to make it, any ideas of how to remove the eternal stench?! 

Thanks 

I haven't made it myself...Does it smell of vinegar? This site has some suggestions. It says to add iron if yours is dissolved and still smells strongly of vinegar or heat it up a little if it smells and you still have iron. It mentions the smell should go away (relatively) when it's balanced right(vinegar to iron) I hope it helps you out.

There's also some interesting tips on using it as well. 

https://www.adamsleatherworks.com/vinegaroon-a-k-a-vinegar-black/

Awesome I'll have a look thanks for this :) 

a couple items that might help is - baking soda - not to mix it with the solution, but only have it sit with the solution, it absorbs stinge.. another one is charcoal - same way of usage.

Great, I've got both of those things, I'll give it a go, thank you :) 

@AdamGadut is the idea to neutralize any remaining acetic acid/vinegar? And how do you keep them from mixing? Just a larger container with the open jar of vinegroon and a pile of soda? 

Apply the soda mixed with a bit of water to the leather after using the vinegaroon to your satisfaction.  or just pour soda out on it evenly, then brush and wipe off with a damp rag or sponge.  Here the idea was to remove odors but helping to cancek out the pH is an added benefit.

brill I'll try all these things thanks for taking the time to help out :) 

not sure if neutralizing it would take away the effectiveness of the solution on leathers. but yes the idea was to make the baking soda absorb the odors. Maybe try a little sample to test if neutralizing it would still work, if it doesn't then don't mix it. You can put it in a separate container and have it sit beside the vinegroom - and maybe seal away these two.

At home we use it on anything that has some odors like refrigerators or even carpets - it takes like a week or so, but its definitely effective. 

On 6/27/2017 at 8:40 AM, goody2shoes said:

Hi guys i have recently opened up my potion of vinegroom that I made a few months ago and it's taken quite well to the leather and gone a really deep black but it bloody stinks! 

I used cider vinigar and rusty nails to make it, any ideas of how to remove the eternal stench?! 

Thanks 

I have used vinegaroon to dye a couple holsters.  It is a great way to create a black piece which will not transfer color to a garment.  I used the article from CAS City Forum to guide me through the use of the vinegaroon.  It has recipes for a couple of old time dyes.  The slurry of baking soda is used to neutralize the vinegaroon.  

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,11991.0.html

Ok word of warning on baking soda, first what you do is you dip your leather into the baking soda for ONLY a few seconds no more than ten, this is to actually stop the vinegarroon from going darker, second any longer and you risk actually burning the leather which will crack it like mad and make it useless, the easiest way I have found is to put the piece some where the air can get to it (preferably outside) for about a week, yeah my last piece took nearly a week before the smell vanished. 

Edited:  Meant to say dip the leather in the baking soda for only a few seconds, the longer you leave the leather in vinegarroon the darker it gets. But you really do not want to leave the leather in the baking soda and water mix for more than a few seconds.

Edited by northmount
Corrected