I'm just getting into leather working as a hobbiest and I cannsee the benefits of using a clicker press. I just cannot afford one and dont have the room for one. Just a thought, I have a 1 ton Arbor press and was wondering if I could have a steel plate welded to the base of the rod, with another steel plate for it to press against and use this as a manually operated press for using with dies? Surely it would at least mark the leather enough to make the cuts more precise?

When I am using my hydraulic press to cut out patterns with clicker dies, I sometimes go up to 7 - 10 tonnes, depending on the size of the cutout. 

A lesser press would definitely make an imprint of the shape on your leather, but a stylus will do that. If that is what you have, make the best of it.

I am thinking a 1 tonne press might be OK for punching holes, stamping, setting snaps and rivets and eyelets. Maybe somebody who has a 1 tonner, will make a comment.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:57 AM, Rockoboy said:

When I am using my hydraulic press to cut out patterns with clicker dies, I sometimes go up to 7 - 10 tonnes, depending on the size of the cutout. 

A lesser press would definitely make an imprint of the shape on your leather, but a stylus will do that. If that is what you have, make the best of it.

I am thinking a 1 tonne press might be OK for punching holes, stamping, setting snaps and rivets and eyelets. Maybe somebody who has a 1 tonner, will make a comment.

I agree with Brian - I use a 1 ton press for setting rivets and stamping, but I doubt it would have enough force to cut anything other than a very small die not much larger than the ram itself.

Gary

5 hours ago, sparklehart said:

I think one of these might be a nice alternative 

https://youtu.be/TIGYW1dPm6c

We had a short discussion on these sorts of press here: Click me

Upshot is that such things might be useful for certain small and/or repetative jobs. However they are very limited on their punching power and have a narrow daylight space.

I would dearly love a swing-arm press because it would massively reduce the time it takes per cut, and placing cuts around flaws would be much easier. I don't have the space or power required for a "real" clicker press, and the Weaver pneumatic ones are expensive and have a fixed head. There's a few options on smallish manual ones: Weaver, Lucris, and Cowboy and they all look like excellent machines. As far as I can tell they all work on the same principle, which is a long-arm toggle press that can deliver around 4-5 tons pressure and have a moving presser head around 12" square. Unfortunately they all cost 4 figures and I just don't have the budget for that at the moment.

Instead I went down the popular route of an inexpensive bearing press, which is a machine that car mechanics use. It's a heavy steel frame with a bottle jack attached. I bought a 6-ton model as I had limited space available and my research indicated that the ram will move quicker the smaller the pressing capacity. I was able to buy the press, some steel plates, a heavy cutting board, and build a stand out of 2x4s for under £100 total. This machine has two major limitations: it can't handle leather any wider than 13" and it requires usually 4 strokes of the handle to make a cut, and a separate control to release/raise the presser. It also requires the presser plate to be loose, rather than fixed to the ram, so I lose a little speed here too. However the price was excellent and being entirely manual I can feel the exact moment the knife passes through the leather, which limits the wear on the knife and the board.

I also have a fly press, which is a machine commonly used in metalworking. It uses a weighted arm which spins a very large screw, which provides a surprisingly powerful "bounce" with a single stroke of the arm. This makes it fast to operate, and the open C-frame will give a lot more flexibility regarding the leather pieces I can put through it (no need to cut into strips first). Unfortunately I've not yet had the chance to set this machine up and run it through its paces.

DeckerZ, Thanks for the Video! Think that will be my next purchase.

How many of you are aware of a blacksmiths fly press? Depth adjustable,fairly large work area even on small ones,and quick.Should work great for clicker set up.

19 minutes ago, ironbasher said:

How many of you are aware of a blacksmiths fly press? Depth adjustable,fairly large work area even on small ones,and quick.Should work great for clicker set up.

I have a no2 sitting behind the shed, waiting for me to free up enough space to build it a stand. It's been about a year so far... My suspicion is that it's going to be great for quickly cranking out repetitive small parts, since it's a C-frame and will essentially a single-stroke machine. Might end up just using it for making sheet loops though!