Is it better to use open or closed cell foam for padding leather items?  Closed cell would be more firm and wouldn't retain moisture.  I'd assume that it would help in the prevention of molding.  Open cell foam would be more breathable, which I'd assume would breakdown and or flatten over time plus allow for moisture absorption. I'd also assume that you would not want moisture absorption for something inside of leather because it could draw the oils out of the leather and cause it to dry out easily.  I'd also assume that breathable foam could retain moisture and cause molding on the inside.  Maybe I'm overthinking this. Doe anyone have any experience with this?  Please advise.

I've used open and closed and I have not had much problems with either. The product being made and what it does for for it is more the issue as to which to use. Open or closed come in a wide range of soft to hard ranges.What type of product are you wanting to pad. Brian

good question, Ive been wondering the same thing as ive been contracted to make a padded camera strap

I would not use open celled foam in any products worn next to the body (like guitar straps) ... sweat can be an issue.

Edited by Basically Bob

1 hour ago, Basically Bob said:

I would not use open celled foam in any products worn next to the body (like guitar straps) ... sweat can be an issue.

If it is sandwiched between two pieces of leather, and the leather is properly sealed, I'm thinking it would have to be drenched to be a problem?

1 hour ago, CaptQuirk said:

If it is sandwiched between two pieces of leather, and the leather is properly sealed, I'm thinking it would have to be drenched to be a problem?

Seems to make sense, but I do know that a lot of guys on the bass players' forum I frequent, avoid padded straps because they eventually stink. That being said, others do use them. I have never used and will not use a padded strap, (just a personal preference) so I can not speak from personal experience.

Edited by Basically Bob

Would using the same techniques as padding a dog collar apply? I've seen neoprene used in that application. 

21 minutes ago, Basically Bob said:

Seems to make sense, but I do know that a lot of guys on the bass players' forum I frequent, avoid padded straps because they eventually stink. That being said, others do use them. I have never used and will not use a padded strap, (just a personal preference) so I can not speak from personal experience.

It seems to me, that they need to learn HOW to clean their leather, or at the very least, replace it with a new strap?

I've made a few guitar straps with a deer hide lining, which is nice and soft with just a little give to it.  It gives just a little bit of padding.  If you were to find some deer tanned cow that's thicker than deer it would likely give even more padding.  Again, not quite as soft as a padded strap, but still a bit softer than veg tanned leather.  Mine have been made with the deer hide rough side out to help prevent the strap from sliding around - but you could do it grain side out to give just a bit more "slide".  Also, I haven't seen anybody else do it, but I put in a pick pocket on the back side as well - picks are right there when you need 'em.

Billgallery_52894_2278_199320.jpggallery_52894_2278_49439.jpg

6 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

It seems to me, that they need to learn HOW to clean their leather, or at the very least, replace it with a new strap?

:) 

8 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

Ugh.  Bacteria growth is a real problem.  

Always use closed cell foam if you can.  These guys sell and ship at reasonable prices.  http://www.thefoamfactory.com/closedcellfoam/closedcellfoam.html

Alexander

Thank you for the feedback!  I'm definitely gonna go with the closed cell just to be on the safe side.  

On 6/28/2017 at 6:10 PM, SolarLeatherMachines said:

Ugh.  Bacteria growth is a real problem.  

Always use closed cell foam if you can.  These guys sell and ship at reasonable prices.  http://www.thefoamfactory.com/closedcellfoam/closedcellfoam.html

Alexander

This is going to crack you up:  One of the best sources of foam padding is Uline.  Back when I was making a lot of padded items, I tried their packaging foam.   It comes in different sizes and thickness, is water proof, just the right amount of cushion, easily sewn through, and above all, inexpensive.  Swear to god.   I used the 1/4" and 1/8" stuff.  

Go Here:  https://www.uline.com/BL_855/Uline-Foam-Rolls

Wow, but how long does it hold shape/firmness? 

On 7/3/2017 at 8:15 AM, SolarLeatherMachines said:

This is going to crack you up:  One of the best sources of foam padding is Uline.  Back when I was making a lot of padded items, I tried their packaging foam.   It comes in different sizes and thickness, is water proof, just the right amount of cushion, easily sewn through, and above all, inexpensive.  Swear to god.   I used the 1/4" and 1/8" stuff.  

Go Here:  https://www.uline.com/BL_855/Uline-Foam-Rolls

+1   I have found that it works well and lasts.

Open cell foam deteriorates much quicker and breaks down into dust under stress, such as in the folds.

No one is talking about the other important aspect of  selecting the best foam for a project which is the base material.  Foam comes in many material types: natural rubber, polyurethane, polyethylene and more as example. I purchase foam in various materials, thicknesses and density including in open and closed cell types including memory foam.  Take a look in the McMaster Carr on-line catalog for a wide selection.  I purchase small sample qtys of foam in a range of physical properties close to what I think will work then make a final determination based on testing the various foam samples with the actual project leather I'm using.  I bit more scientific approach than what many may have the patience for but that's how I work out a solution.  Just saying!

Silverd

Silverd, you mentioned foam types, say I wanted to make a rifle sling or a camera strap, which foam have you used and recommend? Would you just use the foam sewn onto the leather or sandwich between leather (internal padding) I have closed cell neoprene I tried using for leather coozies (that stuff grips!). Which has to best odor elimination?

For most of my projects I use closed cell Polyurethan foam which I purchase from McMaster Carr.  I buy several thicknesses depending on the application.  For a rifle pad maybe no thicker than 1/4"  possibly 3/16" .  I use chrome tan Calf or lamb skin in 3-4 oz weight.  I cut the pad shape in the leather so that the finished pad is larger by 1/8 - 3/16" than the belt on both sides.  I then use contact cement to glue the foam pad (also cut to shape) to the leather.  Then I fold the leather over the foam on both sides so that the seam is located down the middle of the foam.  I usually trim the ends prior to all of this so that the pad blends into the belt.   Sew the pad to the belt with the seam facing in.   They look great and are quite easy to make once you get the hang of them. 

Good luck!

Silverd

Among other foams I regularly use . I have used this for years sewing on certain items where I need thin foam between panels . ( It works real nice )  . Floor underlay foam is a thin closed-cell polyurethane foam,  ( 1/8" ) thick that is, good price, closed cell, 'tough rugged' . can find it easy over at hardware like, home depot ...etc

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Standard-100-sq-ft-Rolls-25-ft-x-4-ft-x-080-in-Polyethylene-Foam-2-in-1-Underlayment-100779555/203956730?MERCH=REC-_-PLP_Browse-_-NA-_-203956730-_-N

Edited by nylonRigging

I was at my local thrift store and found about 4 brand new leg immobilizers, those things that get strapped on you when you get a knee operation. That's what I am useing for padding for straps and slings. They are made out of polyester wadding with a layer of cotton on one side and synthetic fabric on the other and are about 3/8" thick when sewn in. When they run out I plan on using the ploy wadding for quilts as it wont break down as bad as foam IMO.  

Edited by chuck123wapati

Given that shipments from Abbey of England now go through customs, and that I only found Plastozote in music shops (in connection with flight cases), the nearest of which is closed for looking around, I thought of gym mats and yoga mats.

The cheapest of which is ridiculously priced: 2,50 Euros for 1,40 x 0,50 m, 6 mm thick. 100% polyethylene,  doesn't absorb water, the density might be 33 kg/m3 (might because that's the figure I calculated, but I don't trust my math). And best of all, I could pick it up free of charge during my weekly shopping trip to the nearest town.

Now the bad news: The chain store I bought it from is Intersport and I don't think they've made it outside of France yet.