platazote can be purchased from shoe repair supply shops.  Among others (Franklin, Southern), Landwerlen Leather in Indianapolis carries it in various thicknesses.  This particular foam is used commonly in braces, orthotics, prosthetics, etc.  It has a very specific softness/firmness for things like diabetic insoles.

There are other foams like neoprene, latex, or eva "cloud" that are good for backing leather because they use similar adhesives.  These are commonly used in shoemaking and shoe repair, so have the same skin contact as a belt would, basically.  This stuff is simlar but softer than what cheap flipflops are made of.  Cloud is probably the cheapest, and starts at about 3mm thick.

I usually pad things with neoprene foam (scuba suits, mouse pads) or I use wool fleece or shearling.  

There are other, cheaper foams but if they arent made for shoes or something else used a lot then they dont last long.

Edited by JohnnyLongpants

I don't like to use padded straps on my instruments but when a client asks for padding I use wool...the world has enough plastic as it is.

I use the poly batting that you put in quilts, furniture and clothing  they also use it as a layer over the foam padding in furniture and in medical equipment like knee braces and such. It wont break down like foam will. 

I use pleather that can be bought locally for $6.00  36''' x 72''   sheets