Sharon Kudrle

Champion / Landis / McKay 77 repair

I am the new operator of the machine, and when I step on the 'accelerator' nothing happens, although it turns by hand and stitches down.  The previous operator started it by turning one of the wheels on the top of the machine, but I'd rather not do that.  

I noticed some problems with two belts.  I also noticed that one large spring doesn't seem to move, and looks crushed from pressure.  

part # 77-s-336 , the clutch pulley round belt is loose and isn't engaging when the motor is turned on.  It looks like I would have to remove a lot of parts to replace it with one like the round belt that is on the machine now.  Are there any alternatives to doing that?   Would a round, stapled belt be okay?  Is there a wheel tensioner somewhere that would position the wheel further out so I don't have to replace the belt?

part # 77-s-337 , the motor belt has been replaced with a leather stapled belt that is much narrower that the rollers, but it seems to work. Should I try to replace it too?

Can anyone help me identify the  crushed spring and its function?  I can't identify it from the only downloaded catalog of parts that I have. I have attached a photo of it and its location.

Thank you, Sharon

DSC00755.JPG

DSC00757 - Copy.JPG

Give Shoe Systems Plus or Gateway Shoe a call .  Gateway is in Illinois I believe and Shoe Systems is in New York.  Both deal in Shoe repair equipment and should be able to help you.  Also, Harris at Pilgrim Shoe which is in your home state.

Glenn

Thank you very much Glenn for your kind reply.  Harris is an excellent source for shoe machine parts and supplies, he doesn't do repairs though.  Shoe Systems Plus and Gateway are out of my price range, and I need to learn to do non-major repairs myself.   I'll try to do follow up posts for others who may be in similar situations.  Shoe Systems Plus has a great reputation locally, and there is also Landis corporation in Canada too.   Sharon

Below the top pulley on your machine there should be an idler pulley that holds the tension on the round belt.

Thank you very much for your suggestion machinehead, I'm sorry for this late response to your post, but I've unexpectedly had very limited computer access since June 30th.  

I'll take a closer look at that pulley to see how I can adjust it outward.  The 77 will run, but I have to floor the pedal.  Shoe Systems Plus  has a free manual for the 77 online, which has been very helpful.  I ordered a part for a different machine, and some Sellari's 85 thread lube from them which should arrive next week.  I'll continue to post to this thread just in case someone else had a similar question.  Thank you again for your help.  Sharon

Sharon,

In this video you can see the small idler pulley peeping out from behind the machine. Watch above and behind the C in the word Champion. You can see that the belt comes around the large top pulley and then to the other side of the small idler pulley. In the photo of your machine it looks like the belt is straight down toward the floor instead of coming immediately to the opposite side of the small pulley.

Hope this helps.

Edited by machinehead
embed instead of link