Rockoboy

Very old, very dry leather repair

I have a leather case, supposedly about 80 - 100 years old that is in pretty poor condition. Some of the surface of the leather has peeled in places and some of the leather straps are missing entirely.

I am hoping to restore this case closer to new condition and/or stop it from degrading any further.

My question is ... What can I do about the leather that has lost its surface coating? You can see the degraded leather better in the 2nd pic along the front and back edges of the top.

Repair job coming up.jpg

old n dry leather.jpg

If it were my project, I'd keep all of the original hardware and replace all of the leather, possibly keeping the best pieces of old leather for use as inserts if possible.  

I think if it's suffered dry rot, its past the ability to be rejuvenated.  However, before you go about eviscerating it, might be worth a go at with some British Museum Leather Dressing.  It's designed for just this type of situation.  Not sure how you would go about cleaning it, perhaps just some water with a soft toothbrush?

I'm currently making a box, and I've seen others like yours, and I wanted to see how it went together, would be cool if you could share more close up images, and shots of the inside?

YinTx

I think its too far gone. A feeding as YinTx suggests then retire it to a display as an exhibit.

I find that often people forget that leather is flesh, it will eventually rot away. It will last a long time if looked after, but if not it'll rot away as fast as any dead body.

On 4.7.2017 at 4:28 PM, YinTx said:

I think if it's suffered dry rot, its past the ability to be rejuvenated.  However, before you go about eviscerating it, might be worth a go at with some British Museum Leather Dressing.  It's designed for just this type of situation.  Not sure how you would go about cleaning it, perhaps just some water with a soft toothbrush?

YinTx

Hi Yin,

Do you have a source of the British Museum leather dressing?  I have never been able to find a place to buy it from...

Thanks

Alex

Thank you one and all for your ìnput.

A few things are set in stone and one point I am a little flexìble on.

These points are set in stone for me.

1. The most important point is respect the item. If I cannot do the repair properly, I will not even start.

2. Any repairs will be made with a minimum of alteration and/or replacement of the original leather.

3. Any replacements will only made after I have established exactly what the missing piece looked like.

The point I am flexible on (at the moment anyway), what will I do with the case after repairs are made, or deemed not viable? Loan to a museum or RSL?

Time will tell. Thanx for reading.

20170707_220405540.jpg

Edited by Rockoboy
Pics of the inside

4 hours ago, alexitbe said:

Hi Yin,

Do you have a source of the British Museum leather dressing?  I have never been able to find a place to buy it from...

Thanks

Alex

Alex,

If you want to know exactly what is in it and in what proportions, that information is here in the wiki page: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Museum_leather_dressing

I have seen it for sale here, although I have never purchased any:

https://www.restoration-materials.co.uk/product.php/british_museum_leather_dressing_-_125mls/?k=:::612290 (if you are in UK)

http://www.archivalaids.com/rsm/6/products/leather-treatment/british-museum-leather-dressing-with-beeswax-lt01 (with and without beeswax)

Brian,

Considering the intended use, this may fit the bill for you.  As discussed in another thread about making leather treatment, there is some controversy surrounding using leather dressings.  National Parks Services has a write up here:  https://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/09-01.pdf.

If you are interested in conservation, here is a good write up, and it includes information on how to make the British Museum Leather Dressing:

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/CRL/conservationmanual/File7.htm

Perhaps try some out on a lesser piece in worse condition and see if you are happy with the results before utilizing it on the case? Hopefully all of this is somewhat useful...

YinTx