Made a cigar case and a case for a cigar cutter today for my friend's birthday tomorrow.  Used 4 oz embossed veg tan for the cigar case and lined it with pig skin.  The cutter case is plain 4 oz veg tan.

I dyed the cases with a base coat of tan and followed with chocolate oil dye - both sprayed with air brushes.   Sprayed resolene (2 coats) followed by atom wax.  I used 3/4" dowels to form the case.  

I'm learning how to use my CB4500 and it is great how much time it saves me compared to saddle stitching.

i appreciate any comments or criticism!

IMG_89.jpg

image1.JPG

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image2.JPG

Great job. I'm curious as to why you didn't use the embossed leather for the cutter?

Wow those colors are truly beautiful and go well with the rugged texture of the embossed leather!  What airbrush did you use as I was considering getting one to due gradient dying like you did?

that looks really cool

21 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Great job. I'm curious as to why you didn't use the embossed leather for the cutter?

Thanks Bikermutt - I would have used the embossed leather for the cutter case, but I couldn't start it until yesterday afternoon when I received the cutter and I needed to finish it this morning.  The embossed leather is harder to work with because it is so rough/irregular and I didn't think I would have it finished in time for the party!

17 hours ago, HideCreekLeather said:

Wow those colors are truly beautiful and go well with the rugged texture of the embossed leather!  What airbrush did you use as I was considering getting one to due gradient dying like you did?

Thanks HideCreek - I used a $10 airbrush from Harbor Freight.  It works great for spraying dyes or Resolene.  I have a $150 airbrush that I rarely use because it is more difficult to clean and I really don't need the precision when spraying dye or finish on the entire piece.

8 hours ago, kiwican said:

that looks really cool

Thanks Kiwican!  Appreciate everyone's comments!

Excellent idea, you did a great job on this concept. Keep up the great work my friend. 

10 hours ago, HeartlandLeatherWorks said:

Excellent idea, you did a great job on this concept. Keep up the great work my friend. 

Thanks very much!

I keep coming back to this cigar case. I really like how it looks. Have to get me some gator embossed hide

1 hour ago, kiwican said:

I keep coming back to this cigar case. I really like how it looks. Have to get me some gator embossed hide

Thanks - it does look nice - but its a pain to cut a straight line because its so bumpy.  On the plus side it is a lot less expensive than real alligator!

hmmm I didn't consider the cut but yes I can now see how that would need to be done carefully

Thanks!  I used 3/4” dowels inside and 1/2” dowels outside with small strips between the larger dowels to maintain spacing.  The old cast iron holds everything in place while the leather dries.  I think the 3/4” dowels were a good fit for #52 cigars. - Gary

9BEB5D70-1C03-4056-800C-916E9A54AC38.jpeg.f2b0104dad84865dc6e25a6c05853e36.jpeg

038A4857-E551-49F4-9B41-B8154262EA7B.jpeg.5c541a81cdc8875ada1c15126ba469cf.jpeg

3E338FF7-3D9B-4A6F-8F74-0D4A6BCACC5C.jpeg.2a7d37cf9e43eebeb6dc60deeaf3e191.jpeg

Very vice

i dig it!

would you be willing to share the dimensions you used for the cigar case?  Looking to do a project similar.

5 hours ago, onelooneyzeta said:

would you be willing to share the dimensions you used for the cigar case?  Looking to do a project similar.

Sure - here are templates - cut two of each size.

Gary

D3F90FFE-D489-4634-BDAB-DCCE402FAA88.jpeg.206383bb6bfd4774997fbb7ef24ff28f.jpeg

Very nice job. Thinking of the cobra class 4 how do you like it? Where did you buy it from? 

Thanks,

carson

Good job Gary! I love how the airbrush work came out. Have never tried using an airbrush on leather before. I am interested in trying that out. I guess a cheapo from HF wouldn't be a deal breaker either. :)

Thats nice garypl. Dang what a friend to make something that cool for a guys birthday, and thanks for sharing the dimensions with us!

8 hours ago, Carson said:

Very nice job. Thinking of the cobra class 4 how do you like it? Where did you buy it from? 

Thanks,

carson

Hey Carson, I use a Cowboy CB4500 and very much enjoy sewing on it.  I am thinking I will get a smaller machine for very thin leather so I can use thread smaller than 138.  I bought the machine from Bob at Toledo Sewing - check his banner ad here in the forum.

Gary

4 hours ago, JMcC said:

Good job Gary! I love how the airbrush work came out. Have never tried using an airbrush on leather before. I am interested in trying that out. I guess a cheapo from HF wouldn't be a deal breaker either. :)

I highly recommend the air brush from Harbor Freight for dyeing and spraying finishes where I am not concerned about pinpoint detail work.  I use the #93506 air brush - cost $9.99 and there are always 20 or 25% discount coupons online.  I:like it because it comes with 5 paint cups that you can switch without having to clean the air brush.

I also use the Harbor Freight #62994 brush, but you have to buy extra paint cups and you have to clean the brush after each use.  Keep a straight pin handy to unclog the vent holes in the paint cups - they tend to accumulate dried dye and finish and won’t spray if they become clogged.

Either brush sprays Resolene thinned 50/50 with water and they do a great job.

Gary

2 hours ago, georgiapine85 said:

Thats nice garypl. Dang what a friend to make something that cool for a guys birthday, and thanks for sharing the dimensions with us!

Thanks!  I enjoy making small items for friends and family - just started making and selling shooting accessories for some of the guys at my gun club that have seen my work.  I’m not interested in turning this into a real job, but nice to sell a few pieces now and then to support my hobby!

Gary

Thanks garypl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!