I’m a Newbie to This Arena And Want to Buy Some Tools That Will Last For Quite a While.  I want to get a skiver/splitter. Have Heard Much About Osborne 84 And 86. I Also Recognize There Are Many Others Out There That Are Similar. I Don’t Mind Spending The Money to Get a New Osborne 84 But I’m Wondering if it Would be a Better Idea For me to Get an Vintage One And Get it Cleaned up or Even Another Brand /model. Any suggestions would be very grateful.

I have the heritage skiver\splitter from Weaver. I like it well enough.

I don't think I would like one without a locking handle.

Good luck.

I personally don't own a splitter, but if I were looking for one I would probably get an old one through Bruce Johnson. He will have cleaned it up and sharpened the blade, likely better than the factory. That said, a splitter is kind of a major purchase for someone just starting out, unless you know you are going to do projects that require it. If you really do want to spend the money on a new Osborne, be aware that you will almost certainly have to sharpen the blade right out of the box.