Reindeer

Journals. Can somebody advise on paper options?

I'm going to bind carved leather journals. I just need to know does anybody have suggestions about what type of paper to use, and where to buy it from. They will be a little shorter than your traditional Moleskine notebook but about the same width, idk if that matters.

I was going to maybe just use printer paper and trim it to size but idk if maybe I should be using something nicer since they're handmade and all (if you think it's fine to use printer paper let me know though!)

Also, if anybody knows of any good tutorials for different binding methods that would also be nice (I already know a couple but I'm always looking for different options). I will not be doing any super involved/advanced bindings though, I'm mostly just interested in the kind where you sew the paper into the spine with waxed thread.

I believe most people use decent weight art paper from large art tablets. 

There are lots of good articles out there about what paper to use.   A nice heavy paper looks good, but biggest thing to watch for is the direction of the paper grain.   The grain should run pararel with the book spine, or else it can do funny things to how the book 'lies'.

The  blog below goes into the paper side extremely well.

http://myhandboundbooks.blogspot.co.uk/2007/09/paper-grain.html

Check out sea lemon on YouTube. She does some simple binding that can be applied to leather. 

I used regular printing paper. But I would agree with using heavier art paper. You can use anything you want to really. You may want to go to Michael's or hobby lobby and look around in the scrapbook section to see different papers. A paper cutter would make things easier too. And depending how you're going to bind them some book board for the cover. 

The one I made just had book board wrapped in leather. 

I'd think you want to let the intended use determine the paper.  For a journal, you want relatively smooth paper and more pages, so I'd go with printer paper.  Heavier is probably easier to work with, so maybe 20lb paper or so.  If it's to be a sketchbook, less pages needed but with a little texture, so I'd go with paper from an artist sketchpad - OR if you want REALLY nice, hand-laid paper.  

Just my thoughts

Bill

On 7/2/2017 at 1:40 PM, billybopp said:

I'd think you want to let the intended use determine the paper.  For a journal, you want relatively smooth paper and more pages, so I'd go with printer paper.  Heavier is probably easier to work with, so maybe 20lb paper or so.  If it's to be a sketchbook, less pages needed but with a little texture, so I'd go with paper from an artist sketchpad - OR if you want REALLY nice, hand-laid paper.  

Just my thoughts

Bill

And there you have it, the best advice one can give. Use the materials appropriate for the intended purpose. :)

I think the reason so many people use art paper is because they are creating a rustic/fantasy looking journal often in earthtones but good quality, heavy printer paper would be ideal for a more refined product. 

Thanks everybody, yes I think a nice quality printer paper might do it just fine then.

Thanks for mentioning grain direction, I hadn't even thought of that.