Seagrove59

Black Powder Possibles Bag

image.thumb.jpg.103ead1a7140fbed395d18dc7caed44a.jpgBrother in law is getting into black powder muskets, was talking about possible bags to carry equipment. Seemed like a neat challenge as I had never done a bag, so did some research online and with some magazines he provided and did up a pattern, and made it up,  hand stitched and glued the the seams. Based on eastern beaver tail bags I saw. This is the closed to finished picture, need to finish the edge of straps and dubbin for waterproofing.

Any suggestions or constructive criticism is welcomed. My daughter just started a new job so might take some skills learned and have a crack at a briefcase next. 

You did a nice job with this.  Seems a bit larger than the bags I have been using for muzzleloading, but that's a personal preference anyway.

Is it a single compartment inside or did you divide it, use pockets, etc.?

It is a single compartment with a pocket under the flap. Was estimating on sizes from photos and articles. Storage body under the flap is about 10 inches and a bit. 

Now you have to get a musket so you can make a bag for yourself!

nice work on the bag.... and on a tangent... what do you use the set of what look like ball peen punches and dies for in the upper left corner of the pic?

I've been to many rendezvous and would bee happy to have that along!

Garypl I will leave the muskets to those that know what they are doing,, will get him and his cousins to show me how they do it, I understand the principle just need to see the practical.

Plinkercases, they are for doming and Shaping metals I occasionally work with, used to do some jewelry work but not so much anymore.

JD62 thanks.

Good looking bag! I started into leatherwork over a year ago to make myself flintlock accessories. Over a year and few grand in tools and supplies and I still haven't made a possibles bag. :-\

1 hour ago, Sceaden said:

Good looking bag! I started into leatherwork over a year ago to make myself flintlock accessories. Over a year and few grand in tools and supplies and I still haven't made a possibles bag. :-\

That's why I started playing with leather back in 1969 - to make accessories for muzzleloading rifles!  Don't shoot them much anymore, but still enjoy playing with leather.

Gary

That's a cool bag. We used to go to rendezvous. My dad's friend was into it. He got all his co-workers and buddies into it.