alexitbe

Gritzner Frobana Outsole Machine

On 7/4/2017 at 4:59 AM, jimi said:

If anyone wants a copy of the manual in English let me know. its too big to upload in PDF or i dont know how to??

I would sure appreciate a copy, leathermoose@yahoo.com

I have no idea about what it should be, but as 1.25 is the standard pitch on M8 screws I find it unlikely to be used on M5 (that usually has 0.8 pitch, and the thread doesn't look out of the ordinary in the picture). 

It is an M6 x 1.0 screw, 33m long shaft with 4.5mm x 15mm end w/o threading - see picture

I have no spare - sorry!

IMG_1402 (Custom).JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks guys I tried with M6x1 and it worked but somehow it seems that I can't get the movement unles I pull the leather. Does the spring on the screw plays any role? 

Could the feeding teeth be inserted wrong? 

I'm also looking for oil intake niple. Are there any available?  (Pic) 

Thanks

IMG_20200327_210835.jpg

Edited by SenttRox
Typo

You may need to lower the head to press on the leather for it to move along?? It is hard to see from your pictures?? when you lower the head does it press on the leather??

There should be a thumb screw under the front lid with this thumb screw you can raise and lower the head (the thing that looks like a fulcrum beak) It is like the presser foot on regular machines it puts pressure on the materials and w/o a certain amount of "foot pressure" this machine will not sew properly. If you have problems adjusting the head height turn the small checkered wheel (looks like you have a wheel instead of a lever) a bit to the left while turning the thumb screw.

Do you have a manual for your machine - if not send me your email address by PM

Can you post a few full view pictures of your machine?

Edited by Constabulary

9 hours ago, jimi said:

You may need to lower the head to press on the leather for it to move along?? It is hard to see from your pictures?? when you lower the head does it press on the leather??

Thanks Jimi, i do have head lower all the way when sewing.

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

There should be a thumb screw under the front lid with this thumb screw you can raise and lower the head (the thing that looks like a fulcrum beak) It is like the presser foot on regular machines it puts pressure on the materials and w/o a certain amount of "foot pressure" this machine will not sew properly. If you have problems adjusting the head height turn the small checkered wheel (looks like you have a wheel instead of a lever) a bit to the left while turning the thumb screw.

Do you have a manual for your machine - if not send me your email address by PM

Can you post a few full view pictures of your machine?

The thumb screw marked on pic....

I would be grateful for a manual.

Attached more pics, i just bought it and would like to set it right.

InkedIMG_20200328_082237_LI.jpg

IMG_20200328_082319.jpg

technically it seems to be the same thumbscrew but your machine is probably the earlier model I think. But the manual seems to be right for your model.

Manual is on the way.

Edited by Constabulary

I think first of all you might want to look for a smaller bobbin, that way you can get tension on the top thread. By the looks of it, that big cop of thread will not let you get the proper tension. It consists of a felt or leather washer each side,spring cup washer,spring and nut. Remember 1 1/2 times around the first tension pulley.It might be just the position of your wheel but the head looks really high?? You normally put the leather under and adjust until it is just gripping when the arrow on the machine is in line with the one on the hand wheel. I have just noticed that your arrow is missing?? Looks like it has been worn down where it was. There are two kinds of feed dogs for this machine, one is for rubber soles with two teeth like the one you have in the machine and the other is for leather soles which is a knife and a small point. If you are sewing leather then change the feed dog to the knife.

20200328_114234.jpg.1dbea59e99c84447a4541959663d98c3.jpg20200328_114247.jpg.46e8b42802f3710752332d003a08f2ae.jpg20200328_114259.jpg.23bccc69749dfbd2a533db2192539362.jpg

20200328_120734.thumb.jpg.bd08589c771c3814646bea487324ebac.jpg

Edited by jimi

This may be a dead post but,,, I have tried all the links to parts and needles and none of them work. Does anybody have current information on parts and needles for Gritzner and Frobana? I have a gritzner and want some spare parts on hand.

Thank you

I hope it's okay to post here. I need help please, in threading the upper thread. Its not like the double disc sandwich on my other sewing machines, and also i dont see a tension control spring or any other tension other than that on the thread spool itself. Its an old Frobana, serial number 5925.

IMG_3202 compressed .jpg

Edited by Sharon Kudrle
to add a photo after compressing it.

On 7/2/2017 at 4:42 PM, alexitbe said:

DSC08706.thumb.JPG.d3336f19dca57830b7e0d3854353362f.JPG

Can be repaired by a TIG welder or made on a mini lathe. Sometimes this is even worth ordering custom dies or taps for. I could even solder it back together.

Tip: the stud does not have to be split.

Edited by DrmCa

Thank you SO much, how exactly and what is to be welded and / or made on a lathe?? More details would be very nice.

This thread you started has been very helpful, but my Frobana is much older and the configuration of my machine is different.  

I believe the part you had to fix was the tension on the spool of thread, but I am concerned about  the section further towards the head. 

Edited by Sharon Kudrle

12 hours ago, Sharon Kudrle said:

I hope it's okay to post here. I need help please, in threading the upper thread. Its not like the double disc sandwich on my other sewing machines, and also i dont see a tension control spring or any other tension other than that on the thread spool itself. Its an old Frobana, serial number 5925.

IMG_3202 compressed .jpg

The tension unit works with friction and not with discs. Meaning the tension spring puts pressure on the tension wheel and increases the friction. Looks like your thread needs to be wrapped around the tension wheel one more time.

Please post more pictures of your machine

Edited by Constabulary

Thank you Constabulary, it picked up the bobbin thread nicely with the needle in preparation for stitching for the first time!  

Then on the first stitch the bobbin thread hung up and isn't slipping over the bobbin now. Have you seen this problem before, please can you tell me what I should do to fix this? It is so very close to stitching down.

I should add that I previously removed and sharpened the needle as the the machine arrived with the tip broken off.

IMG_3219.JPG

Edited by Sharon Kudrle
Amend problems

I hope this photos doesn't clutter the thread here, but I added it so readers can see the configuration of this Frobana. I think the serial number isn't visible in this photo.  I'm sorry for the late posting, I'm using a shared computer and it isn't always available. It also isn't threaded up in this old photo.

IMG_3209.JPG

Edited by Sharon Kudrle

How available are these machines here in the states, as I have never seen one in person? How do they compare to the Landis 12? I think the Forbona is a really neat machine and neat thread!

Edited by ryano

Sharon - sorry but your pictures do not help much. They are to small and do not show the details well enough.

Please post pictures from all side - better too many than too few. Or maybe you can post a video of how you thread the machine and start sewing.

Have you tried what I wrote? I think you need to wrap the thread around the tension wheel one more time.

Hi, Here is a video to help you see the thread path.

Thank you all, I'll reply in order:

Ryano: How cool! my boyfriend is from Ohio and Ryan is not an unknown name to me!   Frobanas and Gritzners aren't made anymore, I think.  Landis Co. still exists in Canada.  That takes care of availability.  Landis machines are ~800 pounds, the Frobana is ~60. Frobana is a benchtop, manually operated, shoe repair machine or at least was invented to repair shoes if the internet stuff I read is correct. If you are still interested in making boots, the Landis would be better.  The Frobana would work best on light shoes or shoe repair, I think, although I'm not an expert and you'll get more and better advice on this website.

Constabulary: I did wrap the thread 1.5 times, I should not have posted the old photo.  I'll make a video and post it as that advice is golden.

Jimi: Thank you for that gem of a video.  Now, for the bobbin. Troubleshooting bobbin problems is the bane of my existance, but if I can get this solved I think the Frobana will stitch down.  Otherwise, it's just cast iron for my collection.

10 hours ago, ryano said:

How available are these machines here in the states, as I have never seen one in person? How do they compare to the Landis 12? I think the Forbona is a really neat machine and neat thread!

Basically, Frobana machines are non-existent Stateside, or elsewhere, unless one becomes available used, as is. I have seen exactly one in my life, but it wore a Gritzner name tag. There used to be a seller/rebuilder in Canada, a decade or two ago. And Henry Veenhoven, in Toronto, used to sell hand operated Junker and Ruh sole stitchers, but they aren't anything like a Frobana/Gritzner.

There is no comparison between a hand cranked Frobana and a motorized Landis 12(letter). If you make or repair shoes and boots, get a 12F or 12G and be done with it.

Thank you for the wonderful summary Wizcrafts!

Here is a link to a video I just made of the upper thread getting caught in the bobbin area. 

I hope the problem is just something stupid I did, like not pulling the bobbin thread tight while attempting the first stitch.  I have 4 other short videos I am uploading of the preparations for this video #1.  My apologies, I'm recording the video while I'm trying to stitch, and its my first youtube video. The upper thread is making a loop and the bobbin is casting off, but the upper is getting stuck in the bobbin and breaking, and then jamming the thread and machine.

Sharon, your thread should be coming out of the hole in the middle of the spring?? i see in your video your thread is missing that hole so no tension on it. 

DSC08699.JPG.278f6df9f64fb05f0efa7531274988be.thumb.jpg.b07a12905bd969728225e255ae0608a0.jpg