Yeldarb

Bench Burnisher vs Drill Press Burnisher

My drill press motor burned up today which sent me to the forum looking at what I should do next. I have read through a lot of the topics on people who are using bench grinders/buffers and a burnisher as well as folks using drill presses. 

Would love to get insight on if it's time to go the bench route over the drill press or just buy a new drill press. I have never worked with bench grinder style, but would be interested to hear the benefit over the drill press (seems to be more commonly used). I am not married to either at this point. 

Thanks for the help. 

Drill presses are usually slower turning. I have a homemade bench set up. The motor is 1\2 HP and spins about 3450. I have a 2" burnisher on that. 

It hasn't given me any problems and the motor was free (some people say that is way too fast).

I have another 3 speed motor from a down draft vent a hood I want to try next.

Just food for thought.

Bench grinder types generally spin faster, which means they build up heat in the workpiece faster and therefore allow you to do your edging faster than a drill press. So, if yours is a professional shop concentrating on output, then the grinder type is probably a better investment.

If you're doing this for fun and maybe just some side profit, maybe you need the versatility of a single tool that can be an edger and a drill press.

I've used everything from drill presses, dremels, bench grinder motors etc. They all get the job done to some degree. A few years back I pony'd up and bought the leather machine co's version. I love it. It's higher speed when needed and super quiet when running. I don't use the sanding drum on it as I have a seperate bench sander, instead I purchase old used canvas firehose and mount that on one side and soak it with saddlesoap. I run the wood burnisher supplied on the other side. It takes my edges to the next level.

I absolutely recommend the drill press.  Those grinders are WAY too fast.  Seriously, I don't do it all the time, but I can get a NICE edge on leather with a stick in my hand.. in a few minutes.  In teh drill press, I can run down both sides of a belt twice (which is what I usually do) at about 600 rpm with a 3/4" diameter "stick" for burnishing.  

I have tried higher speeds (and also lower speeds), but this seems to work out about the best combination of speed and quality edges.  

So, I recommend a drill press... harbor freight got em for about $60.  Only way I could see improving on that would be with a lathe -- NOT that it's better for burnishing, but rather that aguycould burnish AND do some other things as well.

ANybody know surface speed?  Like, if you put a mark on your burnisher at 12:00 position, basically,

• RPM is the number of times your mark will go by in one minute, and
  • SFPM is the distance that mark "travels" in that minute (so, clearly influenced by the diameter).

Example:

• 600 rpm with a 3/4" dia burnisher is running about 115 sfpm
  • 3400 rpm with a 2" dia burnisher is running about 1800 sfpm, or about 15 times as fast.

My .02 cents wood or Delrin for the burnisher itself the way it's spun is up to you as @JLSleather says 600 rpm is ideal with wood, for me at 1750rpm SS and Delrin have worked flawlessly.  Motor wise whatever your wallet can take and your bench support. I personally would rather have a horizontal mount motor but mine is vertical and was free here's a pic or 220170709_144826_resized.jpg.03c8270f7d6addb65a15c2c2a33f62fb.jpg

20170709_144829_resized.jpg.e114a0f9cc59f69024cc5536fea75f47.jpgthe 3rd shows the burnisher. 1" holster special and 2" everything else.20170709_144838_resized.jpg.9d968b909eb4581ee88594758c1cec42.jpg

Sanch who made your burnishers ... I assume you but...?

If it was you then would you consider making and selling them with a shaft already installed? I chuck mine in on a belt driven horizontal drill chuck rather then mount them on shaft like you seem to.

Bottom left of the attached is my set up.... 3/8 threated shaft belt driven and I mount a thick buffing wheel being the drill chuck then insert my burnisher and different diameter sanding spindles mounted on 3/8 bolts (from a oscillating sander) ... with one machine I buff, sand and burnish.  When sanding I attach a cut open plastic jug attached to a vacuum hose as a particle collector and works great. Not sure of the speed of rotation or surface travel (I do see the difference and consideration... good point thanks) but it isn't super fast and I can slow it down by witching the belt pullys around. little old motor is quite itself but I need to take loose stuff off the table or it buzzes around!

But I really like to the look of you holster burnisher and am looking for one...

IMG_0092.JPG

I made one with a variable speed bench grinder.  can slow it down to where i want it.  nice and solid  use a clamp to hold it down when needed then put it back in the drawer.

5 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Sanch who made your burnishers ... I assume you but...?

If it was you then would you consider making and selling them with a shaft already installed? I chuck mine in on a belt driven horizontal drill chuck rather then mount them on shaft like you seem to.

Bottom left of the attached is my set up.... 3/8 threated shaft belt driven and I mount a thick buffing wheel being the drill chuck then insert my burnisher and different diameter sanding spindles mounted on 3/8 bolts (from a oscillating sander) ... with one machine I buff, sand and burnish.  When sanding I attach a cut open plastic jug attached to a vacuum hose as a particle collector and works great. Not sure of the speed of rotation or surface travel (I do see the difference and consideration... good point thanks) but it isn't super fast and I can slow it down by witching the belt pullys around. little old motor is quite itself but I need to take loose stuff off the table or it buzzes around!

But I really like to the look of you holster burnisher and am looking for one...

IMG_0092.JPG

I did make them myself but no I will not reproduce them to sell.

I was just about to ask if there was any reason why the grinder I use (burnisher one side, sanding drum on the other) could not be mountet vertically.   As I'm always looking for ways to save a bit space, when I had a lightbulb moment.

A couple of years ago, I picked up 2 workshop buffing wheel motor things.   Lovely old ones, sort of like the one below.   I imagine the speed should be perfect, and it can be mounted through one of my tables.

Mmmm.....   just need a free couple of hours.....

IMG_1708.JPG