This video has taken forever to get filmed and uploaded to YouTube. I have a NEW Leather Goods store in L.A. and thought I would show you that you too can start from your living room with two needles, thread, a bit of leather and a dream. It has been a long 4 years of uncertainty, grit and determination. I am posting this to you show all of my fellow leatherworkers that going retail is possible and making a full time career out of this labor of love is both possible and rewarding!

I have posted several ads over the past 2 years looking for an apprentice or another leatherworker to come into my shop...still no takers. 

This video has taken forever to get filmed and uploaded to YouTube. I have a NEW Leather Goods store in L.A. and thought I would show you that you too can start from your living room with two needles, thread, a bit of leather and a dream. It has been a long 4 years of uncertainty, grit and determination. I am posting this to you show all of my fellow leatherworkers that going retail is possible and making a full time career out of this labor of love is both possible and rewarding!

I have posted several ads over the past 2 years looking for a DEDICATED, HARD-WORKING apprentice or another TALENTED AND COMMITTED leatherworker to come into the shop...still no takers. 

Edited by Jess Jones
added more info to post

That's a nice little corner back there, with some spiffy machines!

Nice shop! Like the machines and the bench with all the tools. Enjoyed the video.

Congratulations, and good luck. The shop and the inventory looks top notch.

Living the dream! All the best wishes to you!!

Very nice.   Good luck!  I really like your kits.  

Congrats on living your dream!  I liked the bikes too as I collect and restore vintage bikes.  Mainly the older road bikes that were popular when I was a kid and couldn't afford them.

Good luck with your business!

Thank you everyone. I have always loved to see everyone else's shop and hope that mine inspires you some.

Congrats! That place looks great for making leathery goodness!

Can I be a long distance apprentice  ;)

I would love to have a tutor, but they are really hard too find in Denmark  :o

Love your shop! Thanks for sharing 

Very nice layout. 

If I were young and single, able to pack up and move to a more expensive area, and didn't have a family to support, I'd take a serious look at that apprentice offer. 
I guess it's difficult to find that young rootless person who is also a leatherworker, or not going to college instead!
Paging Mike Rowe... Mike Rowe, to the courtesy desk please...

1 hour ago, DJole said:

If I were young and single, able to pack up and move to a more expensive area, and didn't have a family to support, I'd take a serious look at that apprentice offer. 
I guess it's difficult to find that young rootless person who is also a leatherworker, or not going to college instead!
Paging Mike Rowe... Mike Rowe, to the courtesy desk please...

You know, the funny thing is that when I first started leathercraft, I begged and begged people to teach me in exchange for free labor. That never happened and like many of us...I had to teach myself. The love of it all helped me persevere on long nights where I messed up a project or did not know how to proceed. even this forum right here helped me TREMENDOUSLY!

Well, I had a young man that is 16 years old approach me offering the same thing I sought 4 years ago. A mentor and an apprenticeship...a "whatever it takes to get in here" attitude.

After two weeks, he started whining about being paid, etc. So I started paying him and as soon as I began paying him monetarily and bought him his own tools to use, he started not showing up to work, no motivation, lack of interest, yawning all day, no initiative to create a project, etc.

I believe this kid wanted a "JOB." Not an honest trade in which I devoted all of my time to teach him (which IMO is an opportunity of a lifetime). He had every tool he could ever need and his own coach. BUT, he blew it. He lasted about 5 weeks and then quit . 

It is hard to find people who love this craft so much that they are committed to mastering it. I am ok working solo, but would truly appreciate someone willing to not waste my time and apprentice under me, and grow long term with my business. payed or unpayed...

Edited by Jess Jones
Spelling corrections

I like your shop Jess! Everything is laid out logically. As a fellow retail shop owner, I wish you the best of success!

That's a nice looking shop, Jess.  I love the feel of the place and it looks like you've thought out the work space as well.  Kudos to making your dream a reality, and I wish you the best.  The problem you describe with an apprentice is not uncommon, and I distinctly remember an old man with a shoe shop offering to pass on his knowledge and his shop to a dedicated person.  I know he went for years without fulfilling that offer.  I'm not sure what happened in the end, though.  

The problem is understanding the average teenager these days.  As a police department training officer, I saw this issue manifest in a variety of ways.  Young people do not seem to have the same mentality of those of older generations, especially those who have served in the military.  They are a generation of instant gratification, and I can see where the no pay option would begin to chafe, as my officers made well over 60k a year to start and we couldn't motivate them to learn new skills without ordering them to do so.  

Its a sad commentary on our times, but most 15 year olds don't know what they want 3 weeks from now.  I was certainly that way when I was that age.  All I wanted was something to keep my interest and to chase Tammy around the room whenever we were together (Thats probably only one thing, actually).  The trick is finding someone who is interested, and then challenging yourself to keep them motivated while they learn.  

Apprenticeships in the past, and those still in effect today, offered compensation on several levels.  Room and board, food and a small wage for incidentals in addition to learning a trade.  Contrary to the past, we have a lot more distractions available to us today and convincing a child to ignore youtube, FB, snapchat, pinterest, ect. ad nauseum is a nearly impossible task.  It's about perceived value to them, and not being bored.  Most kids out of college expect a six figure job and are emotionally unprepared to learn that they have to gain some experience before anyone would actually hire them.

Just some thoughts on the matter, but perhaps you could look at your apprenticeship offer from a different perspective and package it for your intended target?  Anyway, great workspace, and I hope you find someone soon!

Looks great, wish I was out your way I would have probably taken you up on that apprentice job.  Good Luck

Thank you for the feedback everyone!