YinTx

Boxed in: Box stitching a tooled leather trunk

Not sure how I feel about this one, now that I am finished.  Over 1 month in the making.  I debated putting it in the "critique my work" section for a while, since this is the first box stitched trunk I have made.  For sure, a learning experience, many things I would change on a next piece.  Not too happy with the back "hinge," so I am off to the drafting board again for that design bit.  Also picked out a different basket weave, and it was an entirely different beast to manage!

And oye, the wayward camouflage tool!  I'll get it under control some day!  Took me three different types of awl blades and about 14 hours of stitching to put this together.  Thread was heavier than what I normally use, 332 Campbell's Satin Laid Linen in yellow.  Blue suede lined, very heavy veg tan - I think 10 or 12 oz.  This little box is pretty stout and heavy.

So.. many.. corners... so. many. stitches... !  

Anyhow, hope you all enjoy..comments welcome as always!

YinTx

BoxGLoRes.thumb.jpg.5205184bde3ebd40924f07197700ccae.jpg

BoxHLoRes.thumb.jpg.060f361009ea0d3d2881463c54c9c25e.jpg

BoxCLoRes.thumb.jpg.0d914c42e2cf8438d96c25f81ad0ea53.jpg

BoxALoRes.thumb.jpg.b7ff71010ca2350d5e784ba79681e3f4.jpg

Good grief, what an undertaking!!!

Great job and I applaud your resilience.

What a beautiful box!  Lots of work and lots of patience on that, I am sure. 

Excellent!!   That is NOT an easy project!  Sewing box corners is a beast all its own, and you didn't tread lightly there - you used a high contrast thread.

Kudos.  

Bill

You, sir, are a true artist!

And the amount of work that went into that project - not just the stitching, but all the basket weave stamping, too!  I can't imagine doing something like that! :o

How big is the chest?

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Damn!  That's a super nice box.  How did you do the hinges, leather straps?  Or is it just that one belt? 

That is a very, very nice piece of leather.  You consistently do amazing work.

rick

Very nice. I have wanted to try another of these, (the first did not come out as expected) but have been putting it off.  You did a fantastic job. 

7 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Good grief, what an undertaking!!!

Great job and I applaud your resilience.

Bikermutt,

It was a bit of an undertaking, more than I had expected.  Thanks for the compliment!

6 hours ago, Rohn said:

What a beautiful box!  Lots of work and lots of patience on that, I am sure. 

Rohn,

At the end, I was wondering if I had enough patience!  Was glad to see the last stitch go in.

2 hours ago, billybopp said:

Excellent!!   That is NOT an easy project!  Sewing box corners is a beast all its own, and you didn't tread lightly there - you used a high contrast thread.

Kudos.  

Bill

Bill,

A new skill for me, along with the tooling.  Something about using high contrast stitching and tooling that makes you focus more intently, see errors more easily, and seek improvement more readily!

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

You, sir, are a true artist!

And the amount of work that went into that project - not just the stitching, but all the basket weave stamping, too!  I can't imagine doing something like that! :o

How big is the chest?

Sheilajeanne,

As I have mentioned in another thread, I can barely draw recognizable stick figures... so I am happy to have accomplished something that someone finds artistic!

The box measures 10"x7"x4.5"

1 hour ago, Grey Drakkon said:

Damn!  That's a super nice box.  How did you do the hinges, leather straps?  Or is it just that one belt? 

Thanks!  The hinge is a strip of suede, which you can see on the inside back.  That is one part I was not happy with.  It tends to push the back of the box lid up, instead of letting it sit flat.  I won't repeat that technique in the future.  The closure belt across the top and front is not integrated with the hinge.

40 minutes ago, rickdroid said:

That is a very, very nice piece of leather.  You consistently do amazing work.

rick

Rick,

Thanks for that!

I really appreciate all the positive response to this work.  Truth is I was a bit down and out about it, since as usual I am my worst critic.  I was happy to have learned the new skills, but I see so much room for improvement, and wonder if the quality I achieve on my pieces is something folks will be willing to pay good money for.  So again, thanks for the emotional lift!

YinTx

44 minutes ago, Sofaspud said:

Very nice. I have wanted to try another of these, (the first did not come out as expected) but have been putting it off.  You did a fantastic job. 

All I can say is give it a go!  I put this off for some time too, now I have a few more planned.  I think I'll try a simpler one with a binder strip to reinforce the corners.

Yours may have come out better than you think if you are anything like me.  I was hesitant to even share photos, since I can see all the flaws, but it appears at least some people like it!

YinTx

My fingers hurt just looking at that! Amazing work, and I think it's a beautiful heirloom piece. Thank you for sharing, it's inspiring to see the skilled work done by others. 

55 minutes ago, motocouture said:

My fingers hurt just looking at that! Amazing work, and I think it's a beautiful heirloom piece. Thank you for sharing, it's inspiring to see the skilled work done by others. 

Heirloom?  I might be...:blush: now.  And thank you for the compliment.

And the fingers and arms... they do hurt.  Ice on the forearms every night lol.  Not sure how often I can do that!  I can't imagine folks that do nothing but tooling all day every day for some of the large saddle makers, etc.  The pain must be unbearable at night.

YinTx

I'm digging this Yin, great job

6 minutes ago, kiwican said:

I'm digging this Yin, great job

Thanks much, Kiwican!

and I just noticed... the mosquito in the second photo... trying to cover up the entire "L" in the word "Love."  I thought I deleted all the skeeter photos.  Gotta love South Texas!  You lose weight every time you step outside!

YinTx

Hey Yin, where are you in South Texas?  I live in Corpus Christi. The weather here reminds me of Hell with a sauna.

11 hours ago, Sofaspud said:

Hey Yin, where are you in South Texas?  I live in Corpus Christi. The weather here reminds me of Hell with a sauna.

I am really close to Corpus, and the weather is exactly that.  But then, that's why folks come here for vacation? :dunno:

YinTx

JNewkirkct,

Thanks, this craft indeed takes a lot of patience.  Next one might go a bit faster, since I have a better idea of what I am doing... but probably not much faster!

YinTx

How do you secure the 4th side while you sew the top/bottom?  A box jig or pony works for the first 3 with a little planning, but that 4th ...

Billybopp,

This was something I had wondered about myself before I embarked on this effort.  I made a small upright box before starting this one to sort of puzzle it out.  

A lot of judicious planning allowed me to stitch all sides with the box stitching clam I made, save one corner and one edge of the hinge.  I managed to set it up so that only a short length corner had to be stitched without the clam - along the bottom of the short side of the last piece stitched in.  At this point the box was a box, so i was able to just set it upside down on the work bench and carefully stitch it together.  Keeping the awl at a good angle and pulling needles through was a bit uncomfortable on the wrists due to the angle, I suspect I could build something to hold it in place at a more convenient angle if this becomes an issue in the future.  The last stitch on the hinge I just did with the box in my lap - each stitch required flopping the lid back and forth as I pulled the stitch tight -  a bit annoying, but you get used to it after a few dozen times...

The last side on the lid I was able to just clamp in catawampus and get to work.

If anyone has a better way, sure would be nice to know it!

YinTx