I purchased a "dremel burnisher" from Richard Loy at Pro Edge Burnishers (great service and shipping btw) and was wondering what tool I should be using to spin it. I'm making bifolds which can be held in one hand and a drill/dremel in the other hand, but I'm also making watch straps out of thinner leather that would need two hands to keep taunt while burnishing. So what would you guys recommend that can safely spin the burnisher hands free and allow me to move the watch strap over the bit with two hands to keep it taunt and stiff?

image.jpeg

I have the same burnisher (two of them). I have a small clamp the will hold my dremel. This would allow you to use it hands free. Here is what I have. It is a for a normal drill but I added a piece of leather so the dremel will fit. I normally use it in my hand and not in the stand. Just be careful not to put too much pressure on it...the shaft on the burnisher is small. -Adam

IMG_3995.thumb.JPG.b37e26e4840c0e24894a9009d029e472.JPG

Edited by arz
Edited text.

They also make a small drill press stand for dremels that you can buy. But, if you have a few clamps lying around there isn't anything keeping you from just clamping it to the table haha

Another thing you can try, is a modified stitching pony to clamp the leather. I've been clamping thinner leather between paint sticks to make it more manageable.

8 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

Another thing you can try, is a modified stitching pony to clamp the leather. I've been clamping thinner leather between paint sticks to make it more manageable.

Wow. How did I not think of that? Thanks!

1 minute ago, alpha2 said:

Wow. How did I not think of that? Thanks!

The trick is, to only expose enough edge to burnish, using the sticks to support the leather. This helps keep it from just flopping under the pressure of the burnisher. It works ok with just one of those slicker disks, and I also use a home made burnisher chucked in a drill.

15 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

Good idea, I forgot about that. I just made some belt keepers and used a small paper clamp with some leather glued to it. I burnished it by hand and dremel:

IMG_3996.thumb.JPG.ca5dbf668ac1f84de5622b1bc132d768.JPG

Edited by arz

Thanks to everyone that contributed! I tried both methods of clamping the workpiece and clamping the dremel and both work very well depending on the size and shape of the workpiece. 

I have a Pro Edge Burnisher too. I use one of these https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/2500-01-multi-vise. I don't have an actual Dremel brand dremel, so the hook part doesn't fit on mine, but I just use the clamp to hold it. Works well for me.

22 hours ago, arz said:

It is a for a normal drill but I added a piece of leather so the dremel will fit.

If holding the dremel this way make sure you keep the cooling vents clear, if blocked the dremel will run at higher temperatures which could have an adverse effect on the bearings leading to premature failure.

Edited by mdawson

9 minutes ago, mdawson said:

If holding the dremel this way make sure you keep the cooling vents clear, if blocked the dremel will run at higher temperatures which could have an adverse effect on the bearings leading to premature failure.

Good idea I'll keep that mind!

Just remember to keep the RPM low so you don't burn your edges.  Burnish good, burn bad!

Yes you do have to watch the speed, I have only used it at slow speed (don't want to wake up the neighbors!). 

When I burnish (which is rare because we use wax edge paint for almost all our products), I use Tokonole which really does not need the dremel. I find a piece of canvas to be enough. I will sometimes use the dremel if I apply wax after burnishing, that needs more heat than I can quickly generate with canvas only. 

The dremel can also be useful to round and smooth edge paint, but you have to be real careful! We sometimes put a buffing attachment on to help give edges a shine. We use whatever works at the moment :) 

-Adam