Bkor131

How is this done?

Hey there, all. So, I'm absolutely enamored by the idea of thick, leather bound books, with tooled covers and such... How is this done? Is this actually a thing, or just a fanciful imagination or misconception? Any advice or references are appreciated. Thanks!

Traditional bookbinding is a thing, and there are a lot of cool things that can be done with it.  Another idea is to make a slop cover for a book and add your tooled panel on the outside of a normal hard cover.  Google will give you a lot to look at, especially if you look at antique or ancient tomes.

3 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Traditional bookbinding is a thing, and there are a lot of cool things that can be done with it.  Another idea is to make a slop cover for a book and add your tooled panel on the outside of a normal hard cover.  Google will give you a lot to look at, especially if you look at antique or ancient tomes.

Could you direct me to a few resources for that? It'd be much appreciated!

Sadly, I can't.  I don't know much about it, other than what I've seen online.  The only guy I know for sure is Sergey Neskromniy on FB.  He also posts here but I don't know his user name.  

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

The only guy I know for sure is Sergey Neskromniy on FB.  He also posts here but I don't know his user name.  

I think his username is: 'arbalet12'

17 minutes ago, gigi said:

I think his username is: 'arbalet12'

Yes!!!

11 hours ago, stelmackr said:

That's fantastic, definitely something I'll have to try out on a few books of mine (I've seen this applied to the Harry Potter series, and I'm in love with that idea.) But, what I'm referring more to is the idea of, as the author put it, "building my own cutesy journal with expensive hand made paper and fancy stitches", minus the expensive hand-made paper part.

I've dabbled at book binding. Take a look on YouTube for sealemon. She shows lots of ways to stitch paper. Bind books and make book presses and other needed items for next to nothing