Wulfing

'painting' with dye

Hi all

Has anyone ever tried adding something to pro dye to make it thicker so it would be easier to 'paint' / apply it to carved leather designs?

The reason I ask is that I hate using leather paints as they reduce the life of the leather when they crack etc.

I'm surprised fiebings or someone hasn't come up with a product like this yet??

What kind of leather paint are you using that cracked? I use it all the time and never had any problems with such.

You can't thicken spirit dyes.  If you let it evaporate, you'll end up with a much stronger and more potent color, but it wont be thick like paint.  Secondly, if your paint is cracking, you're either using the wrong paint, or applying it way too thickly.  I use paint that has the consistency of milk for all leather applications.  Try thinning what you have and sneak up on your color slowly with multiple coats.

13 hours ago, Wulfing said:

Hi all

Has anyone ever tried adding something to pro dye to make it thicker so it would be easier to 'paint' / apply it to carved leather designs?

The reason I ask is that I hate using leather paints as they reduce the life of the leather when they crack etc.

Don't know what product you are using but I have never, in my 40+ years of working with leather, had any of the dyes or acrylics that are specifically designed for leather crack or even reduce the life of the leather.  If you are using any such product then it isn't really intended to be used on leather in the first place.

If your intention is to paint then you use an acrylic leather paint; if you are looking to get more depth of color then use dye because it penetrates deeper (as it is supposed to do).  I too would hazard that you are either using the wrong product or applying it improperly.  If you are attempting to apply leather paints to leather that is other than veg-tan you will also see a high degree of failure as there are no pores left on those heavily processed hides to let anything set and hold.  I have several local hobby crafters that think you can apply acrylic leather paints to latigo and other such leathers and they get frustrated when it doesn't take; I ask them if they have ever heard that water and oil don't mix?  They have no clue where I am going with that question until I explain to them how latigo leather is made and processed; once they learn that the oils and wax will pretty much prevent anything from having a long-term presence it is like watching that old cartoon lightbulb in their head come on.  Quite amazing.

And no, have never attempted to add anything to spirit dyes because it would change the effect that the dye would have and to reduce it down will only create a huge mess and net you any different results because all it does is evaporate and doesn't really thicken; it just leaves the pigments behind.

On 7/8/2017 at 1:12 PM, NVLeatherWorx said:

Don't know what product you are using but I have never, in my 40+ years of working with leather, had any of the dyes or acrylics that are specifically designed for leather crack or even reduce the life of the leather.  If you are using any such product then it isn't really intended to be used on leather in the first place.

If your intention is to paint then you use an acrylic leather paint; if you are looking to get more depth of color then use dye because it penetrates deeper (as it is supposed to do).  I too would hazard that you are either using the wrong product or applying it improperly.  If you are attempting to apply leather paints to leather that is other than veg-tan you will also see a high degree of failure as there are no pores left on those heavily processed hides to let anything set and hold.  I have several local hobby crafters that think you can apply acrylic leather paints to latigo and other such leathers and they get frustrated when it doesn't take; I ask them if they have ever heard that water and oil don't mix?  They have no clue where I am going with that question until I explain to them how latigo leather is made and processed; once they learn that the oils and wax will pretty much prevent anything from having a long-term presence it is like watching that old cartoon lightbulb in their head come on.  Quite amazing.

And no, have never attempted to add anything to spirit dyes because it would change the effect that the dye would have and to reduce it down will only create a huge mess and net you any different results because all it does is evaporate and doesn't really thicken; it just leaves the pigments behind.

Using leather paints on veg tan is not good. The paint cracks and fades over the years BEFORE the leather ends its life whereas dye lasts the length of the leather. I wasnt after an opinion on this. I have seen many many examples that make this true.

With that in mind my question was is there a way of more accurately applying dyes e.g. making them thicker so they dont bleed so much etc etc.  Thanks for reply :-)

On 7/8/2017 at 1:07 AM, Wulfing said:

Hi all

How about an airbrush and masking?  Dry brushing?  Use less dye so it doesn't bleed?  and FYI, properly applied paint does not crack.  Just like properly applied dye doesn't bleed.  Perhaps a picture of the problem you're having would help diagnose your issue?

23 hours ago, Wulfing said:

Using leather paints on veg tan is not good. The paint cracks and fades over the years BEFORE the leather ends its life whereas dye lasts the length of the leather. I wasnt after an opinion on this. I have seen many many examples that make this true.

With that in mind my question was is there a way of more accurately applying dyes e.g. making them thicker so they dont bleed so much etc etc.  Thanks for reply :-)

Have NEVER had the acrylics crack on me since I started working with them nor have I ever had an issue with dye bleed, so, I go back to the my comment that the product is either wrong or it is being applied improperly.  That is it in a nutshell and sorry if it doesn't fit your thinking.  I have been doing this for 40+ years and it has NEVER failed me.  Quantify and compare that.

I shall not get into the arguement and observation.

To answer the OP question; what can be used to thicken it? I have not tried this with leather paints but with acrylic paints in general; Artists Medium, available in gloss, sem-matt and matt. Its a gel specifically for thickening artists acrylic paints so they can be applied by spatula or when by brush it leaves the brush strokes in it; making the smooth flowing acrylic paints work like oil paints. It does however slow down the drying time considerably and use of too much will actually stop the paint from drying at all