Chayse

Picked up a 'Patcher' this weekend

The title says it all and I couldn't resist! Overall it is in good cosmetic condition and seems to have been looked after properly. It is worn, like so many these days, only gets 8 SPI...oh well, I mainly bought it to save it and to one day use it for it's intended purpose. Nothing time and money can't fix, right!!!

Plans are to disassemble, clean, oil, order parts to get the SPI back to as close to normal as I can...then use it ...within it's limits. The only part I see missing is the spring for the darning tension disk...I just may have and extra that might work! I do have a pair of boots that I need to fix, so that might be it's first project! Might touch up the treadle a bit to make it look better and fab up a flatbed table for it. Overall, just keep it looking as it does now...given that this one dates to 1962, it isn't THAT old!

I will post a picture later of the contents of the drawer...I should never run out of needles!! Just a quick glance, I counted over 60 29-4 needles, new in their little envelopes...and even more in other packaging. Just thought I would share!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Treadle...which I sewed with before removing the machine head from the stand. Love these old machines!!!

4.jpg

5.jpg

29K71 are more or lest the most modern machines of this type - beside CLAES patchers - you almost find any part of it as after market part since the Chinese copied this machine almost 1:1 (with some small exception). I have restored a 29K71 in even worse condition a few years back.

Manual and detailed parts list are available.

Its worth the restoration and it is no big deal, these machines are easy to work with.

I got my parts from College Sewing in the UK but most parts are avail. on Ebay or most known sewing machine dealers.

I have already downloaded the manual and parts lists, usually the first thing that I do and have read your resto thread on your machine...turned out very nice! I will look on the 'bay' but hard to know if any of the 'new' parts are going to fit without some sort of finaggling...might just be trial and error. I would have to check to see what shipping would be from across the pond...if it is reasonable, then may do it. Hopefully one of the vendors on here may have the parts. I will start with replacing the bell crank lever (part #82167), which is usually the culprit but understandably, it could be a combination of things leading to poor stitch length. Once I get it torn down, I will have a better understanding of what needs to be replaced. Thanks for the insight Constabulary!

Very nice, on the face of it looks to be in very good condition overall.

You've done well.

@dikman..thanks...seems in good condition overall, I would think normal use through the years...definitely not one of these we see that is just a pile of rust...missing half the parts. Seller relayed it was a family members machine...found in a shed! Oddly, the only rust is wear the leather belt sat on the pulleys for so long and a bit on the treadle..flat surface for things to settle. Overall, am pleased to own it! I was thinking of painting it but the more I look at it, the original paint is in good condition, so will keep it as is...

Contents of the drawer...I was mistaken..most of the needles are 29x3...sizes ranging from 120 to 180. Couple bobbins and odds and ends. I will identify the other needles...there are probably 25-30 that are loose. I have no idea if the little oil can is original...nothing that says Singer on it...only a patent date of 1885. Couple screwdrivers and an extra handle for the hand wheel....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what the large awl type tool is in the top left...is sharp tho! I think some of the fun is finding what, if any, hidden treasures might be stowed away in the drawer!

Paint it? Heck, it's in far better condition paint-wise than all of my used machines! I'd leave it like that (unless you want to change the colour). That little wooden needle holder looks OLD!.

I have restored a few other patchers already with parts from College Sewing. They all worked well I only had to modify the Bell Crank Lever when I installed it in different 29K models. Oh - the set screw for the revolving head di not fit as it came with a metric thread but that was no big issue - re-threaded it with an M5 thread - done.

I would probably "touch up" the decal area and put a new decal on - just for optical reasons. Paint looks like hammertone silver.

Edited by Constabulary

On 8.7.2017 at 9:30 PM, Chayse said:

The title says it all and I couldn't resist! Overall it is in good cosmetic condition and seems to have been looked after properly. It is worn, like so many these days, only gets 8 SPI..

Hi,

7 spi are factory standard.

Greets

Ralf C.

2 hours ago, Kohlrausch said:

Hi,

7 spi are factory standard.

Greets

Ralf C.

Thats mentioned in a 29K71 - 73 manual but I think it is a misprint.

My 29K71 right now has 4.5mm - 4.6mm - thats approx 5.5 SPI. So 7 SPI in the manual can´t be right.

stitch length.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

On 7/8/2017 at 10:22 PM, Chayse said:

I have absolutely no idea what the large awl type tool is in the top left...is sharp tho! I think some of the fun is finding what, if any, hidden treasures might be stowed away in the drawer!

I replaced the feed motion crank in my 29k71 two years ago and after filing the new "puck" for the best fit in the ring, it consistently gives me 5 spi

Thanks for everyone's input thus far as I still have to find the time to disassemble the machine and give it a good clean and inspection. I think it is then that I will have a better understanding of the next steps to take.

I am still a novice, so the actual stitch length doesn't bother me as much and I am sure it will all come together on different projects and finding the stitch length that is aesthetically pleasing to fit the project at hand....all in due time I guess! 

3 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I replaced the feed motion crank in my 29k71 two years ago and after filing the new "puck" for the best fit in the ring, it consistently gives me 5 spi

@Wizcrafts...are you referring to Part #82149...Feed Motion Cam Wheel? By your description of the slight modification, I think I have the right part narrowed down. But through reading of your various threads pertaining to the 29K's, particularly the later models, I know it can be a number of things...will take it slow and see how it goes. I know for sure that I have a bit more than a 1/16th movement at the bell crank lever..at least it gives me a place to start. Thanks for your insight!