studioBT

45K Oscillating shaft bent

Hello all, I am a frequent visitor to this forum however this is my first post. As well as an active leather worker I am also a keen collector of industrial sewing machines. I recently picked up a Singer 45K (I'm not sure what subclass as the brass plaque is missing or has been removed. The serial number AE190567 indicates that its from around 1935-1938, it has a jump foot and no reverse). Its in good condition in the main part with one exception - I significant bend at the drive end of the oscillating shaft (part number 91171). The bend is binding up the oscillating roller in its guide. 

My question is does anyone here have a spare oscillating shaft (part :91171) that they would be willing to sell? If not I will have to try and repair the shaft which would be tricky or machine a new one.

Many thanks.

Josef.

File_000 (2).jpeg

File_000 (3).jpeg

File_000 (4).jpeg

Edited by studioBT

I have a spare in a machine but I have to put it in an electrolysis bath to get it out.

PM me if you are interested.

Here is a thought...if you are unable to find a replacement, you mentioned machining a new one. Curious if you machined the same diameter hole in a piece of stock to a depth of let's say 2"...overall shaft diameter, heated the end that is bent and slowly placed/pressed the bent end into the machined hole. I think it would straighten it and re-align everything. That would be kind of a last ditch effort if a suitable replacement cannot be found. I think machining an overall replacement would be challenging to say the least. But, one must do what you have to do...but then again, you may luck up and find a replacement. Even then, I would machine a piece of stock on the mill and see if it couldn't be straightened...but I like a challenge! Good luck! 

Heat will be required to bend it back into shape!

After that you will need to have the bearing surface rehardened.

WOW - you need a lot of force to bend a shaft tip like that. :huh: Are you sure no other parts went bust?

8 hours ago, Chayse said:

Here is a thought...if you are unable to find a replacement, you mentioned machining a new one. Curious if you machined the same diameter hole in a piece of stock to a depth of let's say 2"...overall shaft diameter, heated the end that is bent and slowly placed/pressed the bent end into the machined hole. I think it would straighten it and re-align everything. That would be kind of a last ditch effort if a suitable replacement cannot be found. I think machining an overall replacement would be challenging to say the least. But, one must do what you have to do...but then again, you may luck up and find a replacement. Even then, I would machine a piece of stock on the mill and see if it couldn't be straightened...but I like a challenge! Good luck! 

Hi Chayse - Thanks for the idea, That might work, although the end of the shaft is in a pretty bad way as I think it has been worked on before now. I think a replacement part will have to be found or I start from scratch - Like you said - One must do what one has to do!

2 hours ago, Constabulary said:

WOW - you need a lot of force to bend a shaft tip like that. :huh: Are you sure no other parts went bust?

Hi Constabulary - the order of events is unclear but someone has drilled two holes in the end of the shaft and no pin is shown in the parts lists, I assume then that at some point the part was slipping out of time and someone had the idea to fix the two together with a pin. Those holes - especially the one nearest the bearing surface would have significantly weakened it, after that a much less substantial force could have bent it out of shape. Anyways - I have gone over the whole machine and everything else seems to be OK. Time will tell though I guess! 

OH, that´s a bummer, none of them lying around? maybe you could get it welded around the bent end and the holes filled in and if you have a machine shop around or someone good with a lathe he could bring it back to size again?? they call it buttering.

45k56- no reverse. i think that is your machine.

Edited by jimi

1 minute ago, jimi said:

OH, that´s a bummer, none of them lying around? maybe you could get it welded around the bent end and the holes filled in and if you have a machine shop around or someone good with a lathe he could bring it back to size again?? they call it buttering.

Thats a good idea - I'm looking at a few options at the moment, with machining a new one looking good - i've been quoted about £60 GBP to make a new shaft with the only issue being that i would have to have it heat treated myself (Shouldn't be too much of a problem). Nevertheless "buttering" is a good technique to know about - cheers!

Out of curiosity sake, I looked up the parts schematic for the machine...machining would/might be a good option as I didn't look close enough at the pictures to see that the shaft separates from the end. Find a piece of tool steel and have it turned on a lathe, then machined for the profile on the end that is bent. At the quoted price, I would have it done as it seems cheap. Depending on where you are located in the states, machine shop prices can be astronomical for tooling up for just one part. That is the whole reason I put myself through school(s) to learn...because I didn't want to pay that high price. I would gladly make a few mistakes in my garage, then to pay some absorbent price! Keep us updated!

10 minutes ago, Chayse said:

Out of curiosity sake, I looked up the parts schematic for the machine...machining would/might be a good option as I didn't look close enough at the pictures to see that the shaft separates from the end. Find a piece of tool steel and have it turned on a lathe, then machined for the profile on the end that is bent. At the quoted price, I would have it done as it seems cheap. Depending on where you are located in the states, machine shop prices can be astronomical for tooling up for just one part. That is the whole reason I put myself through school(s) to learn...because I didn't want to pay that high price. I would gladly make a few mistakes in my garage, then to pay some absorbent price! Keep us updated!

Cheers Chayse - Yes the shaft separates from the shuttle driver so its not too tricky to machine. I'm in the UK at the moment and there seem to be quite a few small time machinists offering relatively low prices for their services. I found quite a few on eBay offering CNC/Milling/turning services for a fixed hourly rate. Very convenient! We are soon to be moving the workshop and all our machinery back to Brisbane, Australia so i'm trying to get everything fixed up before we set off. Lots to do. Cheers.

Why not try and straighten it? You can hardly make it any worse. Any idea of how force was applied to the shaft to bend it in the first place?

8 minutes ago, 480volt said:

Why not try and straighten it? You can hardly make it any worse. Any idea of how force was applied to the shaft to bend it in the first place?

Hi there - I'm not sure how it got into that state to begin with but the previous owner did hint that it "may have suffered a bit of a knock during its last move". I have tried straightening it but even with a bit of heat applied I couldnt make it budge. I could try more heat and pressure I suppose, as you say it cant get much worse..

I found a nice, straight original 91171 SIMANCO shaft with shuttle driver for Singer 45K in my parts drawers. $70 plus shipping. 

IMG_8107.jpgIMG_8108.jpgIMG_8110.jpg

Edited by Uwe

@Uwe Well would you look at that! Thankyou.. I will DM you shortly.

Cheers.

Josef

Wrinkle alert!

I just noticed that the shuttle driver on my shaft is mirrored from yours. I've been wondering why my shuttle driver is marked "Left". I'm guessing it's for special "left handed" versions of Singer 45K machines where the arm points to the right.  That means you can't use my shaft+driver assembly as it is in your machine. You'd have to move your shuttle drivers to my shaft.

I may have a "right" shaft hiding in my drawers, too. I'll let you know if I come across one.

Uwe

I have few of them,  I will check the part numbers when I get home tonight. 

The shaft itself is the same, it's the hook driver that's different. We'll "just" swap hook drivers and all should be well. 

4 minutes ago, Uwe said:

The shaft itself is the same, it's the hook driver that's different. We'll "just" swap hook drivers and all should be well. 

I "Just" removed the shuttle driver from the broken shaft in preparation for the new part.. It took some work to get it free without damaging the eccentric portion just below the driver proper but its done now. All good fun.

Awesome news..looks as if you are well on your way!! This forum is outstanding!

Update... So I'm happy to say that I was able to fit a replacement shaft sourced from @Uwe without too many issues (although taper pins are always fun). After half an hour re-timing everything I'm happy to say my 45K is now sewing beautifully again. They really are tanks, here you can see nice even stitches through 3/8" (approx 9mm) of dense veg tan - no worries.

Thanks to all for the advice/help sourcing parts.

On another note hook to needle timing is no worries but timing the feed and jump foot lift was basically trial and error - Does anyone know of any literature (a service manual perhaps) that documents this?

File_000 (5).jpg

Awesome news and am glad it is back in service! One has to wonder where @Uwe keeps all of these spare parts!!

On 2017. 7. 11. at 오전 12시 50분, Yetibelle said:

나는 그것들 중 몇 개를 가지고 있지 않습니다. 오늘 밤 집에 갈 때 부품 번호를 확인하겠습니다. 

Do you have a 45k56 feed, presser foot and throat plate?