Looking at many industrial sewing parts I can see they are all made from the same casting with minor differences in machined surfaces. For example, feed dogs may have the holes drilled in a slightly different location or the feeding surfaces may be wider or shorter for different tasks/machines.

I bought a Consew 146RB and there are some tasks it just doesn't handle well. Rather than machining complete parts for it out of billet, does anyone have a source for raw castings? I'd love to just machine a few feed dogs, feet and maybe laser cut some plates to match so I can just sew up 100 of the parts I need and then reconfigure the machine to do something different.

Michael

I doubt anybody stocks and sells these cast rawlings. Usually they only exist in the factory between two processing steps. You can have your own made by various chinese suppliers if you're willing to order a few dozen or a few hundred. 

I have some cast rawlings in my parts drawers, but I have no idea where they originated. I don't even know which machines mine are intended for. I'm pretty sure, though, that they're of no use to you, sorry! 

IMG_8124.JPG

Uwe,

That is exactly the sort of stuff I would be looking for. With a number of companies machining custom solutions, I'm surprised that there isn't a supplier for these things. If only I could get a feed dog before they cut the teeth down. As-is I really need teeth in front of and behind the needle plus a presser foot that is closed in the front. At $50-$60 for a foot, experiments are expensive if I wanted to try and TIG weld pieces on the factory foot.

I don´t know the details of the Consew but sometimes parts form other machine could fit. I have a Singer 307G2 and figured that I can use feed dogs and needle plates form other Singer machines like Singer 20U, Singer 457, Singer 107... and Dürkopp 252 thought the needle plate are narrower and you have a gap right of the needle plate but it does not bother.. But the funny thing is the 307G2 has 2 different pairs of threaded holes to accommodate different needle plates - don´t know why Singer did this and it is nowhere mentioned but it works. I figured it "by accident" because I owned a Dürkopp 252 once and then bought the 307G2 and noticed the feed dogs look quite similar so I tried it and it worked. Then did some more research and figured the Singer 107 is like the Dürkopp 252 - bought some cheap feed dogs and needle plates and they fit. Same with Singer 20U - they looked very similar so I gave it a try - works! And BTW the mentioned machines are using the same hook too ;)

some pictures (sorry poor light conditions):

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

So "maybe" the 20U plates and feed dogs "could" fit your machines too - or you can make em fit. Or maybe you find a Consew 199RB set with teeth in front of the needle.

EDIT:

sorry - I made a mistake - the needle plate + feed dog I have installed on the 307G2 are from a Singer 457 (not 20U - though the work too). I bought them at College Sewing

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/Singer457G,457USewingMachineParts

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/503682-NEEDLE-PLATE-SINGER-457

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/503743-4-ROW-FEED-DOG-SINGER-457

Edited by Constabulary

As I understand, many years ago there was an agreement between most manufacturers to standardize the parts, needle plates, feed dogs, bobbins, presser feet and the like were then made and shared among manufacturers. I assume it was done as a cost savings measure so every factory and model did not need their own setup at a foundry. As a result, many things are compatible with only the finish machining done to make a part specific to a model.

The challenge I have is just that the 146RB/199 is not the most common machine. Give me the casting blanks and I could machine the pieces I need. Otherwise, it's time-consuming to setup things like machining teeth in a piece of billet, especially on a low-quality manual benchtop mill.

On a more positive note, I discovered that the person before me had hacked up the inner foot for a binder setup and that is likely why it does a poor job of feeding. In addition, I also found that there is an alternate consew part number that has feed teeth in front of the needle. I'll see if I can get some of those.

-Michael

Michael,

I can help here, Consew has, by part number, 724 Feed dog, and 705 Needle Plate.  By the book, these show up with standard factory machine setup.  These are four row only.

Consew 199R and 199RB uses standard 415 Feed Dog, and 139 Needle Plate.  These are four row.

Consew ALSO has optional feed and plate with SIX row (this would add two more to the front of the feeder and plate, same as back), Needle Plate is 139F, Feed Dog is 415F.  

All that said, it does appear that the needle plates and feed combos can be installed on either 146 or 199 models.  I would want to make sure the six row works well with the upper feed on the 146RB, not sure as we have not done this yet.

Uwe could be correct in that the manufacturing process could be such that they are not going to be able to provide blanks as you mention, but I'll leave that for you to decide.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Gregg,

I was going to email you on this subject once I figured out exactly which parts were needed. I don't like to waste peoples' time on science experiments.

The diagram I was looking at showed a 705A and 724A, which I believe is the 6 row plate/dog. It's specified for the 199, so I have no idea if it would fit on the 146 or not. I use the zig-zag feature for some parts, but in other cases, there isn't sufficient space for the outer foot, so I was thinking of trying to use a straight stitch foot. Cheaper than buying a complete second machine! As you can imagine, the original feed dog/plate wouldn't match, so it is an increasing gamble to order a plate, dogs and feet for a straight walking foot machine like a 205RB. Either it will work brilliantly or I will just wish I'd made the parts. Now you understand where my original question came from.

-Michael

12 hours ago, hackish said:

Gregg,

I was going to email you on this subject once I figured out exactly which parts were needed. I don't like to waste peoples' time on science experiments.

The diagram I was looking at showed a 705A and 724A, which I believe is the 6 row plate/dog. It's specified for the 199, so I have no idea if it would fit on the 146 or not. I use the zig-zag feature for some parts, but in other cases, there isn't sufficient space for the outer foot, so I was thinking of trying to use a straight stitch foot. Cheaper than buying a complete second machine! As you can imagine, the original feed dog/plate wouldn't match, so it is an increasing gamble to order a plate, dogs and feet for a straight walking foot machine like a 205RB. Either it will work brilliantly or I will just wish I'd made the parts. Now you understand where my original question came from.

-Michael

Michael,

We've emailed and spoken many times now; never once was it a waste of time.

I've got 205RB presser feet, I've got a 146RB sewing mechansim,I'll check it out and report back.  No idea what this will look like, never tried.

Consew-146-199-Plates-and-f.jpg

HA!!  Success!

This is a Consew 99, old guy, but same setup as a 146RB.  Consew 205RB presser feet are installed.  However, this combo with stock feed dog and plate is not that fantastic, and I have no idea if Consew 205RB needle plate and feed dog will line up correctly with this.  If it does, we could really have something here.

Going with a six row feed for zig zag I don't think is the way to go, as far as a straight stitch setup goes, but I didn't do that much playing around.  The other thing is that a six row plate STILL has the zig zag long slot, where the 205RB has a much smaller hole.  This is a big advantage when only straight stitching.

205RB-feet-on-146RB-One.jpg

Consew-205RB-Feet-on-146RB-.jpg

Photo says what 100 diagrams won't. That's saved me a lot of guessing. The last step will be to find if the 205 plate and dog will fit. The other thing I'm up to here is getting that dog in the middle so I can sew down the middle of a "rope".

16 hours ago, hackish said:

Photo says what 100 diagrams won't. That's saved me a lot of guessing. The last step will be to find if the 205 plate and dog will fit. The other thing I'm up to here is getting that dog in the middle so I can sew down the middle of a "rope".

Hackish,

That't called a bolt rope foot, nobody sells them, but can be made up by custom attachment guys.  

I put it in quotes because it breaks at about 2500 lbs and it just doesn't feel right to call it "string". If I need to, I can grind teeth and machine feet as needed but some of my lines are thin enough they need that middle row.

Is there any chance you'd have a plate and feet for a straight walking foot you could test fit to that machine? Having the dogs under the 205 feet is needed. I'd be quite happy to buy a package with all the pieces.

-Michael

not sure but maybe you can make something out of Singer 31-19 or 132K piping feet cause the have a very low shank and can probably be attached to some sort of DIY foot adapter - or so - dunu - just a wild idea.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/Singer-31_331K-Sewing-Machine-Parts

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/Singer132B,132K,133KSewingMachineParts

I´m sure you can find the feet in the US as well...

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks, constabulary, I looked but unfortunately it's far from what I need. The 205RB foot Gregg posted is exactly the piece I need. At most, I might grind a small ridge in the bottom of the inside foot, but a normal flat bottom worked just fine on my 20U and I did it for years. I really just need to know if the 205 feed dog and plate also fits. I'll post up some photos later today if I sew some more.

-Michael

Just now, hackish said:

Thanks, constabulary, I looked but unfortunately it's far from what I need. The 205RB foot Gregg posted is exactly the piece I need. At most, I might grind a small ridge in the bottom of the inside foot, but a normal flat bottom worked just fine on my 20U and I did it for years. I really just need to know if the 205 feed dog and plate also fits. I'll post up some photos later today if I sew some more.

-Michael

I'll get on that, too.  Give me a day or two and I'll report back on the setup.