Linwood

How can I repair pool pocket tops

I am not a leatherworker.  I hope the site is tolerant of non-trade requests for help.

I have a new pool table, that also has a top that goes on that turns it into a dining table.  The table has leather pockets whose finish appears painted on and not dyed into the material.  The top can touch it when being installed, and appears to be abrading it. The images below are after only about two weeks, so it's going to get worse.

Because of the specialized nature and size, I do not appear to have choices of different pockets; even if I make a warranty claim they will simply replace them and we start over with the same problem.

I am wondering if there is a dye or other coloring I can use to have the abraded area match in color.  A requirement would be that it not come off on hands or pool cues after it dries.  I am also not very interested in having the entirety of the pocket re-dyed, notably the area where the balls hit or land, for fear that the resulting product might come off on the balls. That is a not infrequent problem with leather pockets, and these actually are perfect in that regard - no residue seems to come off at all.  Which is a bit strange, as the balls hit VERY hard just below this point, but there's no visible damage there. It appears as if this top edge has a different kind of treatment, one that is glossy, whereas the rest of the pocket in the hole is a very matte finish, not glossy.  

I should also note I put some saddle soap on these soon after purchase (Bickmore Saddle Soap + Lanolin) and wiped off well, hoping to make it a bit more soft.  Is it possible that actually contributed to this, making it more vulnerable? 

It is possible but not simple to remove the pockets (meaning I am not a pool table mechanic and not sure if I can get them reinstalled exactly right, though maybe), so would prefer something I can apply in place.  If necessary I can place a shield under the lip of the pocket to product the wood, as it is not fastened at the top, only down inside the pocket.

I was quite literally going to get some shoe polish and try, but thought to ask some experts first before I make the situation worse.

Again, a perfect match is less important than one that does not come off to the touch, or even light friction of a (very smooth) cue sliding across it.

-%20DD8_4602_88218.jpgPool%20table%20scratching%20of%20pockets

Edited by Linwood

OK, for reasons unclear the images are not visible when I look at this topic, though they were there when I created it. 

Here are direct links to the images on Smugmug:  https://photos.smugmug.com/Pooltable/i-vD97fFJ/0/130ac58b/O/Pool%20table%20scratching%20of%20pockets%20-%20DD8_4603_88219.jpg and https://photos.smugmug.com/Pooltable/i-DDBZRpq/0/77f75629/O/- DD8_4602_88218.jpg with apologies for whatever I did wrong to get them embedded.

First off; get the problem sorted under warranty. If you attempt anything now it will invalidate your warranty completely which may be needed if another problem shows up

Then with that done work on how to prevent it happening again

I agree with Fred. Get the warranty service first. Maybe they will address why it is happening also. If you were to try to repair with dye, even if you can get a successful color match, what will protect it from happening again? Looks like you either need some spacers or some padding between the tabletop and the leather.

Well, your point is well taken, but it's not clear what they can do given the design.  It is almost impossible to put the top on without some lateral movement, and they do not themselves make the pockets, so giving me new ones will be exactly the same type, and in a few weeks right back to where I was. My guess is they will say "you shouldn't let the top touch", but ... as I say, almost impossible.

So nothing simple I can do to make it look decent?

Is there enough clearance to allow you to put a thin layer of felt on the underside of the tabletop only in the area of the pockets?

Goal would be to protect them from rubbing.

@gojosh, yes, last time I tried using some really thin painters poly over the whole table (in case we spilled wine or other staining stuff into the cracks between sections).  I ran this over the pockets as well, and it was thin enough not to cause a height problem, but seemed to protect them so they didn't get worse.

I contacted the retailer who is looking into replacements, but the manufacturer is taking a summer break for a couple weeks (and then I'm on vacation), so won't know until late August.  She thinks they will offer to switch to black pockets which she says uses a different process for dying. Not sure I want black.  So it's a work in progress.

But I still also am tempted to just touch these up, not make it worse by using the poly, as opposed to getting black pockets.  If I go that way, anyone recommend a good touchup type of dye that won't come off on the hands (after suitable drying period)?  Not to change color of the existing paint, but to soak into the unpainted and make it look similar, not perfect.  It's not like anything really leather is perfect.  

H'actually, thinking about this, I think the pockets have been made of cheap PU leather with a sprayed on finish. It takes a lot of rubbing to get through properly dyed quality leather. It takes months of regular hard use to make it start to show up, not two weeks. The saddle and holster makers on here will confirm this

Whatever you chose to use, it will only stay on the surface. I'm not sure a leather dye is right on this occasion, it won't soak in properly and a lot will come off easily.A lacquer paint might be better

It definitely looks like a surface paint-like finish, yes.  If there's nothing I can use that will sink in and not rub off, I do not want to use it, as that would be worse (e.g. coming off on hands/cues). 

I'll see what the manufacturer recommends.  My fear is that this surface "paint" is a solution to another problem apparently common - dye that comes off on the balls when they hit the pockets.  Don't want to trade my current problem for that.  

Because of the shape of these pockets I do not have any alternative suppliers, as many pool tables do from 3rd parties.

If you get the black replacements, see if you can hold onto the defective pockets. Get them to a leatherworker, who can use them as a pattern to make "real leather" pockets. That way, you can have any colour you want.

If the retailer will not leave you with the defective pockets, try to get a tracing of the flattened out pocket after removal and lots of photos before and after removal. Then, see if a leatherworker can deal with that.

8 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

If you get the black replacements, see if you can hold onto the defective pockets. Get them to a leatherworker, who can use them as a pattern to make "real leather" pockets. That way, you can have any colour you want.

If the retailer will not leave you with the defective pockets, try to get a tracing of the flattened out pocket after removal and lots of photos before and after removal. Then, see if a leatherworker can deal with that.

@Rockoboy, thanks for the idea.  At worst I can just buy a set from the manufacturer as patterns, but trying to retain one is obviously better.  Now this may come as a silly question but... How does one find a "real" Leather worker who might have the experience to do such a thing?   Ask around saddle shops perhaps?   I'd much prefer to find someone local, so if there are issues fitting it, etc. they might actually be able to come see.  Would the sort I need advertise as "Leatherworker" or Boot repair or.... ?

Probably not a boot / shoe cobbler, but ask in equestrian and gun stores if they know a leatherworker. I reckon you're best bet will be through a gun store; they'll probably have contact with a holster maker. Holster makers work in lighter weight leather and generally don't mind to do it;  saddle makers work in heavier weight leathers and may not have what you need

As for samples to get or retain; I reckon you'll need three - the middle side and one from each end. The end pockets may not be exactly the same but made a bit 'lop-sided'

Thanks; the good news is all 6 pockets are identical.  When installed the sides stretch a bit differently but not much, like a quarter or half inch, but surprisingly when they came in they were all the same.

19 hours ago, Linwood said:

How does one find a "real" Leather worker who might have the experience to do such a thing?

First place I would look, would be the forum main page of this website. There's a lot of people looking for, and some offering the services of, leatherworkers in a section for exactly this purpose.

Post a message with as much detail as possible, maybe a pic or 2 and see who raises their hand. Just be careful about how you include an email or phone number. (There's info on that somewhere on this site as well).