RockyAussie

Hornback belt repair needed

Have need of a good leather worker/repairer preferably around Seattle WA that feels confident in doing a repair on one of the belts I made around 2008 as shown in the pictures below. The backing needs replacing and is around 4 to 5 oz. I have included a new belt picture to help understand. Any recommendations as to who has the skills would be greatly appreciated. Brian

image001_resize.jpg

image003_resize.jpg

DSC08048_resize.JPG

The flesh sides could be roughed up with sand paper or a wire brush than re-glued with 2 coats of thinned contact cement.

I'm not in Seattle, but shipping is cheap...what happened to the stitching?  Or did it not have any?

YinTx

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

I'm not in Seattle, but shipping is cheap...what happened to the stitching?  Or did it not have any?

YinTx

No stitching. The bumps you see are bone inside and although you could stitch some areas the needle deflection and breaking makes it impossible. The bones often go out to the edge. Some of the belts still look new after 10+ years and some like this worn everyday since 2008 come apart. The top as Wiz says needs to be sanded back and a new backing attached. As the top is normally pulled out of shape I normally attach the top down onto a wider strip pulling the top around to get back into shape somewhat then trim the backing down to the top size. This then normally gets sanded along the edges and rounded then followed by edge coating and ironing. The holes get redone after with an oblong hole punch.I normally do this job for around $50.00au (about $40.00usd) but with shipping and Cities and customs etc the costs get to be a headache getting back here and back there. I am happy to advise and give pictures on the process further if needed.

If anyone feels confident and interested to do the job please PM your contact details for me to give to the customer to contact you.

Thanks Brian

No bites on this yet???

g'day rock i see yer plight with th belt.rubber cement barge or masters is used overere a lot . i'm 70 n arthritic n crippled, after 45 years of breathing th s ---t.that said if used correctly it'll keep soles stuck on boots , long after th stitching is gone.peeling th pieces apart n regluing shouldnt be hard , but a good fit edge to edge maybe difficult.also sweat tends to weaken n rot. maybe better to offer a new one. mebe in oz they wont let those glues i spoke of in . they have been used in th boot n shoe makin n repair for donkeys years . good lookin belt tho gotta b a salty hide  eh ?

3 hours ago, Hennessy said:

g'day rock i see yer plight with th belt.rubber cement barge or masters is used overere a lot . i'm 70 n arthritic n crippled, after 45 years of breathing th s ---t.that said if used correctly it'll keep soles stuck on boots , long after th stitching is gone.peeling th pieces apart n regluing shouldnt be hard , but a good fit edge to edge maybe difficult.also sweat tends to weaken n rot. maybe better to offer a new one. mebe in oz they wont let those glues i spoke of in . they have been used in th boot n shoe makin n repair for donkeys years . good lookin belt tho gotta b a salty hide  eh ?

G'day back to you Hennessy. Yes it is a salty backstrap (porosus) skin. Contact glue is what is used and probably because that is all I ever used in years of shoe making and repairs. Years of sweat does take its toll though as you can see. Many customers do buy a new one again but still like to have their old favourite repaired anyway. I myself generally don't get to be the seller and whatever arrangements they do is their business I just like to assist if I can. Normally if the belt looks cared for I fix it for free but whether the seller charges or not is another matter. The seller gets better than double I do so I figger some of the good will needs to come from them as well. I hope that someone puts their hand up soon but so far no takers. Price I have to say is up to the buyer and what ever he is willing to pay. Regards Brian