JLSleather

Holster VIDEOs 'n' stuff

Seen a video on making holsters, or making holster patterns, you found helpful?  One which showed something you haven't already heard (and heard, and heard)?  Add a link here.  Let's keep it to links - not embedded videos (that's an option when you add the link).  Post a link, and maybe a line or two about what you gained from the video.  If you see something in the list which already covers that topic, let's not double the same content.  

I don't care who did the video, or when -- only that it adds relevant information that isn't covered in a bunch of other places.  Something unique.  Could be yours or someone else's.  By seeing what is covered, we should then know what is not covered, yes?

Personally, I thought this one was worth seeing.  There is nothing about making a pattern, but a guy who never made a holster could see how JUST from this one video. Excellent "how-to".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsXw3gabqk

Edited by JLSleather

The one that came to mind right away ended up being the one you posted. Lots of stuff but I really found the way he cut interesting and am waiting to have the blade and nuts to try it.

Easy guy to  listen too... not all amped up on himself or being on the youthtub.

Now I need to find another link to add to your theme here......

15 hours ago, plinkercases said:

not all amped up on himself or being on the youthtub.

Yep, like he don't mind the attention and advertising, but offering USEFUL info -- not just making noise in an attempt to be seen :whistle:

I aint goin' steady with the guy - just thought the video was well done :rofl:

Guess there aren't any others people would recommend?

Edited by JLSleather

One of the first videos I ever watched about making holsters. Learned quiet a bit in the 30 some odd minutes. Still learning  

"Less is more" 

Edited by Clintock

Just saw this one this week. A lot of knowledge flying.

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Yep, like he don't mind the attention and advertising, but offering USEFUL info -- not just making noise in an attempt to be seen :whistle:

I aint goin' steady with the guy - just thought the video was well done :rofl:

Guess there aren't any others people would recommend?

There are plenty, but you seem to have a personal aversion to videos.  Please give an example of someone who is making noise or making an attempt to be seen?  I am curious to see what you think is grandstanding vs useful.  I think people can learn from folks of all different levels.  SOME videos are true songfests, and I can see how those are off putting.

Wow... aversion?  I'm the one who ASKED FOR videos :crazy:  And I specifically asked for videos which were found to be of use to the individual posting.

I'm not talking about "levels".  I'm also not "outing" those I personally think are of absolutely no value at all (though I admit there are some).  I didn't ask for anyone to bash or even obviate anyone.

The thread was - and is -

IF there are vast hordes of videos with useful (to the individual posting) info, then here's where a guy could share it.  I assume that if someone made and posted a video that they want it to be viewed, yes?

SO IF someone posted a video that helped you, wouldn't you give them a referral?  If you have "liked" a video, then let the rest of us know.  How hard is that?

OR ....

• if you don't know of one,  OR
  • if you know of one but it's [for any reason at all] some 'secret' that the rest of us don't get to see --

then just don't post.  No trouble. 

SO FAR, we have 4 'votes' for Sam A. and ... well -- no "and" -- that's it so far :dunno:

Oh -- for me personally, I did watch about 25 minutes of video yesterday which was recommended.  Complete waste of my time (I do waste some time, but feel that should be my choice of when and how much).  Everything "covered" in that time was already made very clear by looking at just page two of How to Make Holsters.

Edited by JLSleather

Im only going by the things you say whenever the subject of videos come up, which are usually disparaging, and I'm curious.  As for videos being a waste of time regarding holster builds, I'd think that you at your level might find a lot of them useless, while others who aren't as good would find many of them helpful.  Eric Adams makes useful videos.  John Bianchi made useful videos, but everyone is at a different level.  What I like may not appeal to you and vice a versa.  

There are no secrets, and I certainly wouldn't keep a video to myself if I knew of something that hasn't been seen by anyone else.  

Speaking of Stohlman, I find that each time I read one of his books, I get a little more out of it that I didn't catch before because I lacked the experience.  As I learn, the things he said make more sense.  

11 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

at your level

think I covered this.

11 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Eric Adams makes useful videos.  John Bianchi made useful videos,

Now we're getting closer. If EricA or John B has a video you found "good" (useful to YOU)... then just let us know.  That is the only point here.  

I thought (or perhaps only hoped) that the point on THIS site was to help other crafters, share some knowledge and experience.  And anybody who has ever been on WHY-tube - like at all - knows there are countless hours of poop there.  Some good stuff, too- - but you have to weed and winnow.

POINT then-- IF I REALLY AM willing and trying to help other leather crafters, why would I not point them to videos which will actually help them learn/improve if I knew of them? 

When a guy contacts me to ask about how to do something and tells me he watched this or that video, then WHY would I send him to yet another which covers the same thing he already knows?  (that's rhetorical, I would not do that).   I AM however willing to send a guy to a video which can expand the guy's knowledge in some way (I'm sure prior to this thread i've sent a couple dozen people to the video I linked above).

I could go on, but this is far enough off the path already.  Back to the point, VIDEOS YOU (whoever) FOUND USEFUL, and roughly what it did for you.  Anybody don't want to say.. hey, fair enough. Whatever. :dunno:  

Just one topic ... by way of example.  I get asked fairly frequently about how to make "pancake" holsters with unequal pieces, thus curving the finished rig.  WAIT ... has that already been covered?  Cuz I might make that video. .... BUT.... if someone already has made that one... then just post it right up there, right in here, right now.  I'll be HAPPY to add a link on my site, in my signature here, on my WHY-tube page.. pointing others to THAT video (rather than making another saying the same thing).  I don't need a duplicate video just so it's me saying it (a rough example of 'small man complex').

Now, all that said, I DO know of more than one who hung around here for the longest time sucking up info and asking questions, the answers to which were freely given.  Then made paid listings offering that same info, but at a price (hint:  while I didn't come on to 'disparage' anyone, I do admit that I don't have something "good" to say about everyone, thus my Mom's advice 'if you can't say something nice...")  I haven't named anyone, nor do I intend to.

Almost forgot... let's take this back to a list of videos we found helpful (in case anyone wants to skip over all that .. whatever that was)..

19 hours ago, JLSleather said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsXw3gabqk

Personally, I thought this one was worth seeing.  There is nothing about making a pattern, but a guy who never made a holster could see how JUST from this one video. Excellent "how-to".

That's ONE.

Here's one I like.  No words, no grandstanding and yet easy to see whats happening all the way through.  As for what that was, just a guy making an observation.  

See - simple ;)  Let's add that one, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsXw3gabqk   A guy who never made a holster could see how JUST from this one video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXPUcdN9_E  No words, no grandstanding and yet easy to see whats happening all the way through

Nope - not seein' anything about "curved" holsters 'cept for some kydex stuff (and most of that is trying to advertise something :rolleyes: )

Anybody else got a tip?  Keep in mind, it need not involve a making a pattern, or even using a pattern at all

Realistically,.. after all this poo you jus' know if I gotta make that video, I'm gonna make it about a 12-part series :rofl:

Edited by JLSleather

IMMIKETO i for one have watched many videos and the biggest problem with that is no one does it the same way , so if your learning and someone from this site says watch a video  you think ok thats how its done then you find another video and its done differently so then you get confused . And then there are a LOT of people on this site that if you ask them questions they tell you to go watch this video or go read this book. Now not everyone i have made several friends that have helped me a lot but with every group of people you have your @@s hats . 

1 hour ago, wayner said:

no one does it the same way

Yikes, don't get 'em started about the way it's done :rolleyes:  ... we'll have somebody telling us he knows that subject has already been done a bazzillion times, BUT ...here's another one :rofl:    It must be mandatory to say "this is the way I do it.. might not be the only way.. and there's a thousand videos about this already, BUT here's another one...".  Must be in the script :)

But I didn't start out to make this a "bash videos you don't think are worth the electricity to make em" topic -- but rather, IF you have a video you found USEFUL how 'bout share it with the rest of us and save us the hours of searching (yes, I know there are some so petty that they figure nobody helped them find them, so they aren't helping the next guy either-- nothing I can do for those people).

After a day and a half, ONE video added to the first one I posted.  And it has "no words" (I'm quoting here).

No matter.  Sometimes no answer IS an answer.  Maybe I'll check back in a few days ...

To my shame, though..  I need to go comment favorably on Andrews' video -- in all the times I've mentioned, commented on, and referred people to Andrews' video -- I have never commented on his site, or so much as thanked the guy for making it much less making it available FREE

There, tha's now been done.  'Course, when I click on the video, it starts.  Which reminds me again WHY that's a video I recommend.  Hank 'n' Sam :

show the actual process, explain what they are doing and much of why it's done, mentions specific materials and tools, includes no pirated pattern or music  -

IN 33 minutes, a guy is told and / or shown ...

• wickett & craig leather,
  • barge cement,
  • stitch groover and its use,
  • different size edgers,
  • dead blow hammer,
  • sanding edges to even 'em up,
  • duncans 'dummy guns' (and bless their heart they refer the name and location of the maker),
  • brief discussion of why he makes these "molded to the outside" (curved),
  • wet molding and use of a dowel for a site channel, 
  • forming with a shop press,
  • discussion and showing of "boning" the holster,
  • during the 'boning", you can clearly see that the stitching is AT the weapon.. not 1/4" or 1/2" away (except at the tension screw, which is also covered step by step later),
  • edge coat (what it is and how to use it),
  • use of wool daubers,
  • neatsfoot oil,
  • resolene finish (including a view of the manufacturer's bottle and a discussion and view of how he uses it),
  • tensioning screws / spacers.

And did I mention free?

4 hours ago, wayner said:

IMMIKETO i for one have watched many videos and the biggest problem with that is no one does it the same way , so if your learning and someone from this site says watch a video  you think ok thats how its done then you find another video and its done differently so then you get confused . And then there are a LOT of people on this site that if you ask them questions they tell you to go watch this video or go read this book. Now not everyone i have made several friends that have helped me a lot but with every group of people you have your @@s hats . 

This is very true.  Thats kind of the beauty of leather work though.  There isn't only one right way to do most things.  Not ALL things.  Usually, you have to find what works for you with your vision, artistic ability and the tools and equipment.  Anyone who says theres only one way of doing things likely hasn't learned anything in a LONG time.  You can see this in some of the free video content on the web.  

The one thing that I find severely lacking in this field is that most people are afraid to experiment on their own to gain experience.  They want an answer, or a pattern or a sure fire way to make a single product.  What Jeff is getting at, is being able to take your skills one step further and learn to develop a pattern from a gun.  That doesn't eliminate the validity of reading this book or watching that video, but it does seem a bit impersonal.  I't doesn't mean that they're ass hats, although SOME are.  Nothing you can do about that.

The thing is, that we all learn in different ways.  Some can read and interpret with more efficiency than others.  Some need to have their hands on, and still others like to watch someone doing it, hence the video era.  Free is like anything else, you get what you pay for.  Quality instruction by knowledgable professionals is worth money.  

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Free is like anything else, you get what you pay for.  Quality instruction by knowledgable professionals is worth money.

Okay, silly me -- I'll 'bite'.

I've clearly made a mistake... since charging money for something makes it "worth" more, all you folks been downloading those free patterns send me 10¢ each.  Not that I'm determined to bilk you outta the dime, but it will make the patterns "worth more" :rofl:

Okay, there's my light-hearted attempt at humor.  Now.. can we get back on the point of actually assisting other leather crafters, or is that just not going to happen here on LW?  I mean, if I've misunderstood and that's not the idea - just say so - I'll understand :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

What Jeff is getting at, is being able to take your skills one step further and learn to develop a pattern from a gun

Actually, Mike - that's not necessarily what I'm talking about (though a guy could include that).  I'm talking about leather holsters.  Could be pattern making, could be pattern using, could be making holsters without a pattern, whatever.

In fact, I don't remember suggesting that it matters if it's free or paid. ↓

On 7/13/2017 at 7:13 PM, JLSleather said:

I don't care who did the video, or when -- only that it adds relevant information that isn't covered in a bunch of other places.  Something unique.  Could be yours or someone else's.  By seeing what is covered, we should then know what is not covered, yes?

HEY.. do we wanna know FUNNY?

In my WHYtube search, there's a playlist - containing 51 videos - by someone named Jack Patience.  After 51 of those videos, a fella has EARNED the name Patience :rofl:

2 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

HEY.. do we wanna know FUNNY?

In my WHYtube search, there's a playlist - containing 51 videos - by someone named Jack Patience.  After 51 of those videos, a fella has EARNED the name Patience :rofl:

You sure its not George?

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

And did I mention free?

Sorry this was sort of emphasized so it seems you did mention it.  Pardon my confusion if you didn't mean to.

That one IS free.  The next one posted may or may not be :dunno:

ADDING ONE, though.. this one not as detailed, but still a good investment of six minutes ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jnfga0x70Q  The basics of making a leather paddle holster (kydex paddle insert).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsXw3gabqk   A guy who never made a holster could see how JUST from this one video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXPUcdN9_E  No words, no grandstanding and yet easy to see whats happening all the way through

ok im really starting to get confused here, we have a Moderator thats keeping a argument going  about videos and i think he has a site that you have to pay for videos !!!!! Might be a little bias there but the more important thing is i thought Moderators were there to stop B.S. like this not to keep poking the Bear 

1 hour ago, wayner said:

ok im really starting to get confused here, we have a Moderator thats keeping a argument going  about videos and i think he has a site that you have to pay for videos !!!!! Might be a little bias there but the more important thing is i thought Moderators were there to stop B.S. like this not to keep poking the Bear 

Since you've made the connection between me and my business, I'll address it.  You're right.  I do have a site for live content that is paid.  It costs a little bit of money to make live video classes happen.  Can't get around that.  It's the infrastructure.  A for arguing, nobody is doing that, just having a bit of discussion.  Jeff keeps emphasizing FREE in his posts, and it automatically excludes a lot of excellent content.  This is my issue.  Free content is good.  Paid content is usually better because it HAS to be.  Otherwise people wouldn't pay for it.  Also, in most cases, I agree with Jeff.  He is extremely knowledgeable, and an amazing resource to all of us here, myself included.  On account of that, Jeff has a following and a voice here and it's irresponsible to ignore excellent content on account of it costing a few dollars.  For example, John Bianchi made a whole series of holster videos that are comprehensive with regard to making gun leather.  They are expensive, but worth it.  

Obviously, I can't post them here as it would violate all kinds of copyright laws and be morally objectionable.  My point is that while its ok to have an opinion about FREE, I have a differing opinion about paid, simply because of my experience.  Let me ask you this.  Would a week long class with an industry professional where you build three holsters side by side have value?  Of course it would.  It was also one of the best investments I've made into leather work.  If we keep the FREE thing going, are we doing a disservice to those in the industry who offer live, hands on classes?  Where is the line drawn?  That is my only point.  Not poking the bear, or arguing.  Only offering a differing opinion.

And, for the record, my site has ZERO holster content, and the majority of the classes are taught by professionals OTHER than myself, so please don't confuse my differing opinion with a conflict of interest about my site.  Its not.  Its about a conflict of interest with an entire facet of the industry.

10 hours ago, wayner said:

Totally agree. I've been on forums before where mods think they're gods and keep the drama stirred up. Just let things go sometimes. 

@immiketoo how is paying for classes or instructional videos helping the industry? If a guy wants to teach someone else something for free, does that mean he doesn't know all there is to know because he's not charging for the lesson? I play music and never had a class. Both parents and aunts and uncles play. No classes anywhere. I've played along side folks who have paid for sessions or classes and still can't keep time or rythum. But since they paid for classes they're supposed to be better? I don't think so. I can see how you think it's supposed to be that way but it's not. Never will be. 

:head_hurts_kr:So, is there some issue with presenting videos about the topic?  Here's as clear as I can make it --then maybe I just go fishin' ...

POST a link to a video you feel has value.  Simple.  Somewhere along the line, we have a list of links that may help other holster boys 'n' girls, saving them hours of searching and weeding out what isn't as helpful.  The end.

NOW, just to bounce off other things that somehow crept in like weeds.  I'm just going to put this here.  I know most like to sneak around behind the scenes. But I'm not one of them :)

Wayne →  No worries, man.

Mike → So you know, generally ...

I'm not "opposed" to paid instruction.  But I don't equate price with value.  And I'm generally not susceptible to hype and hoopla (including 'name dropping').  Put a price tag on a piece of poop, it's still poop.

• I once found my buddy had the same shirt I did.  I paid $40 at a store. He paid $80 at another store.  SAME shirt.  His store had a larger advertising budget and more sales people.  Those things cost money, which is then added to the price of the shirt.  But since none of that improved the quality of the shirt, I saved 50%.  I think the difference is that Matt couldn't stand anybody saying that he got his shirt at the less "fancy" store. :dunno:   This is lame, clearly (small man complex on a big guy).  But, "a fool and his money ..."
  • I used to know a guy, called himself a contractor (I prefer 'con-man-tractor').  Need a new roof, siding, etc?  Call this guy, write a check for $10k.  Then he'll call some other guys, have them do the work, pay them $4k, cover the $4k for the materials, pocket the rest.  Wait.. I'm paying that guy WHY?  No thanks, I'll pay the guy who does the work.  (In that particular case, the guy made an issue and irritated me - so I called the crew leader, set him up with his own commercial insurance and estimating software, and now refer HIM to anybody who asks about the work).
  • I do not assume that because "so and so" endorses something that it's necessarily worth more than that poo I mentioned.  I've had people who have never seen a cobra sewing machine tell me at length that they are very good and that's the one to get.  Anybody not agree that's ignorant?  They just parroting what they heard, or read, and that may be from another who didn't know what they were talking about.

All of which adds up to -- I'm interested in the actual facts, the actual product - not the story that often comes with it.  I know some people like to (need to?) have a receipt for $10k so they can "impress teh neighbors" with how much they spent.  Personally, give me teh guy who does my roof correctly ;)

And more specifically, ...

I have never had anything derogatory to say about your site or your lessons (if that's what you call them).  Because I've never seen them.  In the event I ever saw one, I would be rigidly honest about what I thought about it -- sell me a good product, I will tell people that.  Down side, sell me something not acceptable (content, materials, price, etc) I will tell people that as well. 

For others who might read this whole discussion which didn't need to happen, Mike and I have never met.  I don't feel bad or good about that :dunno:

But my friend Robert mentioned meeting you at some point.  Said you were with some gal either had married or were about to ... and he described "seems like a decent guy" , which from Robert was actually a pretty glowing review (he didn't talk that much, and when he did he meant it).  He added that he had taken some on-line lesson (something about cobra stitchers?) which he thought was a waste of time and money by a guy who he described as 'awful arrogant for no more'n what he does'.  No benefit gained naming that guy here.

Long as I'm on that thread.. never met EricA either.  Or really discussed anything with him at all.  Or seen his products -- other than pics on the web, a couple of clips that appeared in why-tube searches, and as much of the video above as I could take.  I know he has some paid products, but I haven't purchased them since I didn't like what I saw for free... just not alluring to me.  If teh next guy finds value in it, congratulations - no offense taken :dunno:  

Just personal preference, but if I'm gonna watch a video with "no words..." (aka just pretty pictures) then I prefer this one -- pretty pictures AND holsters ..)  Best part -- you can FF to about 1:30 it gets purdy good ;)

BOTTOM LINE, REALLY... This could have been a beneficial catalog of relevant information for those interested in making leather holsters - tooled or not.  The rest of this never had to happen.

SO THEN .. I'll continue to bookmark GOOD information, and offer it free of charge to those who ask.  Someone doesn't want to use it - fair enough - whatever.  

I'm a little upset that I've never met that gal in teh cowboy hat (pick one, don't matter which).  Other than that, maybe somebody contact somenone who removes these posts (c'mon - you know how to do that) and wipe it out.  Whatever.  Just don't touch that GOOD video (the girls, for those confused)... everything else will all work out ;)