JLSleather

Holster VIDEOs 'n' stuff

Jeff, I appreciate your reply.  Its true we have never met, and that  Robert was a good man.  Wish he was still with us.  The gal was from right here on LW.net and we now live happily in Greece.  Hats off to the forum for getting me out of law enforcement after 20 years so sucking shit for a living.

As for the rest, I have nothing against you, I just feel strongly about the subject matter and the good of the industry.  There are a lot of good resources out there, this site being one of the best.

In retrospect, I apologize for derailing the thread.  Some things just stick in my craw and I can't let go.  So, all that said, its generally my policy to leave the thread alone for posterity, but I can clean it up if that is your preference.    

Hey jeff if you ever deside to leave this forum and go somewhere else please advise me of where it is i find your knowledge to be very helpful , and when someone asks your opinion on something they have made you offer than constructive criticism instead of trying to attack them (and before anyone goes off topic the last part of this message has nothing to do with videos ) so take a chill pill

Got my breakfast with garlic, onions, 'n' jalepenos.  Feel like I'm coming back to make sure i didn't miss an episode of my favorite show :blush:

41 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Jeff I appreciate your reply.

Wait.. did I have some affect on diplomacy and peacekeeping?  SAY IT AINT SO - never live that down :rofl:

50 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

I just feel strongly about the subject matter and the good of the industry

I'm with ya.  Probably off in the other ditch here, though.. I've had more than my fill of people who are very skilled with Fakebook and Instagram, but whose leather skills are -- well, nevermind all that ...

No preference from here .. delete it, leave it, whatever.  If you think it sounds to others like a couple old women bickering and might somehow discourage the newcomer to teh site, wipe it out - no harm done.  All I'm interested in is the list of resources, which is just as easily done in a single pdf (I think).  I'm just lazy enough to try to get others to contribute to the list (save me some searching, too!).

If your current set up allows for quick and easy removal of the Allman boys while leaving the girls, I'm okay with that ;)

NOW.. where's that chubby girl with my coffee ....

3 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Wait.. did I have some affect on diplomacy and peacekeeping?  SAY IT AINT SO - never live that down :rofl:

I'm with ya.  Probably off in the other ditch here, though.. I've had more than my fill of people who are very skilled with Fakebook and Instagram, but whose leather skills are -- well, nevermind all that ...

NOW.. where's that chubby girl with my coffee ....

A.  You'll never live it down.

B.  In this, we are in complete agreement.

C.  Greece is full of those.  Good coffee too!

21 hours ago, wayner said:

jeff if you ever deside to leave this forum

Wayne - leaving to the post office shortly :rofl: But you got the phone # anyway ...

TWO videos I'd like to see, if anybody done already searched 'em out.

The one where somebody shows me how to determine the sizes/proportions for curved pancake holsters #curvedpancake

The one where somebody shows me how to make a holster without using a pattern at all.

Maybe both in one video?  Or separate, either way.

Wait.. there's THREE I'd like to see... cuz nobody believes I'm not gonna go watch those gunslingin' gals in the saloon again!

I am a newbie to leather as such I have watched damn near every video on holster making that is out there. I agree with JLS, the Andrews videos are the best I have seen for the amount of knowledge Mr. Andrews gives in building the holster and tips and tricks he has learned in this craft.  

For some reason my patterns come out too small or too large.....lol  I guess that is the learning part. Screw up and you get to do it again learning from my mistakes.  I would also like to find out how to figure the proportions of the 80/20 holster without wasting a bunch of leather in trial and error. 

JLS, I have used your patterns as a starting point for the P228-229 and p220 series Sigs and finally have a pattern that fits after a couple of tries. I do appreciate your sharing the patterns.   

39 minutes ago, taltexan said:

Screw up and you get to do it again

Fortunately, if you "miss" -- we aint talkin' about a bunch of money.  I still pitch one every so often ;)

I have gone back and poked around the videos I looked a tin the past and some new ones and nothing I found worth adding other than more Adams ones and he still is my favourite presenter between his voice and is general personality and demeanour.

If I find one I will link it. Seems to lots of the same out there and even ones that look promising turn out to have bad/annoying/frustrating (i.e. not looking at what you want to see...) camera work or the presenters go on about all kinds of things rather than specifics of what they are doing.

I have challenged myself with finding one fresh one though....

I learn best depending upon what mood I'm in at the time. If I just wanted to watch and take my own notes (research degree/background has given me lots of practice at that), the videos like Particle's and others weren't too bad (other than the time-lapse one posted elsewhere)...other times, I might want to glean a person's knowledge and perspective while they showcase their methods, particularly if they've been doing the skill for decades that I'm trying to emulate, like in the case of Sam Andrews...I listen when he speaks because there's much to learn from what he says and he's been successful in this industry. The rest...I just watch and pick what I like and disregard the rest.

Nearly anyone can make a video and cast it onto the Web for the world to view...and plenty of folks can make a leather container for a firearm and call it a holster...but ultimately, it's up to the viewer to determine who's worth their time and qualified (in their opinion) to proffer technical advice. I think the resulting product and success in the industry speaks for itself.

Edited by Double Daddy

3 hours ago, plinkercases said:

or the presenters go on about all kinds of things rather than specifics of what they are doing.

3 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

Nearly anyone can make a video and cast it onto the Web for the world to view

Exactly what I'm talking about.  What gets me is the guys (plural) who have seen a dozen videos about something, all say the same thing, and their response is to make another one! :huh:  Different music playing doesn't improve the video, fellas ...

I'm just saying that IF you have searched and found legitimate content, how bout makin' a list somewhere so the next guy don't end up doing the SAME search all over again.

Having said that, a while back somebody sent me a link to another of Sam's videos.  Still some good stuff in there, but I didn't find it nearly as useful as the one I posted.  Still pretty good, but I didn't add it 2 reasons :  1) it didn't have new content, and 2) if you viewed the first one, simple to find Sam's channel and look at his others.

SNIKEYS!

I get asked about this type of thing so much that I actually forgot we had this same conversation a few months back.  

So, instead of going through it again, I'll just bookmark the thread and send a link when somebody asks.

Course, that's not a great sign when 4 months goes by and still no answer to the question ...

Edited by JLSleather

Ok I don't know how to put the links up so I will tell you the name of the guys business, and here is what I thought was a little different about his video even though it only touches on what he does, I do feel that it might be the direction of what some businesses might be taking in the future.  The guys name is Todd and his business name is Stitch Dex Holsters.  If you go to utube and search for his videos, you will find one where he is using a LASER CUTTER TO CUT OUT AND DO THAT ART WORK WITH, and being that there has been a lot of discussion on the laser issue lately I thought that gives a little in site to how one person is using modern tools to make holsters, he also shows a little about how he uses a vacuum press to form his holsters.  If you don't like it go ahead and throw stones I don't care just thought I would toss is a half cent worth.

c ya   

as a side note I only watched one of his videos so not sure what there is to offer. 

Ok what happened here everyone sort of disappeared and nothing more said or done, was everyone's feelings hurt and then go away or were some sent to the wood shed?

Nope...I'm still here. I believe Jeff (JLS) has skeedaddle'd...for the time being at least. There were some over on the Off Topic sub forum that got offended at some content that he and a few others had posted...then a mod shut down the offending thread. He's been concentrating on his own website/blog/FB page as of late.

Edited by Double Daddy

Skipped over all the drama...but watched the videos.  Really great info there! (and I don't even do holsters).  The way I see it...there's always something to learn; always room for improvement. (I can't get over that reverse knife technique Sam was using in that holster video! Great stuff!). Good times.

which video was that in?

The "reverse knife technique" is really useful. I started using it myself...went and ordered a large X-acto knife that would use the bigger #2 fine point blades...with a little practice, they just sink right in and glide thru like Sam said and demonstrated in the video. I still have my utility knife and strap cutter for some things...but for pattern work with lots of curves, that #2 X-acto is really nice.

It's basically using an exacto the way you use a round or head knife. Pushing instead of pulling.

ANother 6 months gone by, I see we're still watching Sam and those GIRLS in the Greg Allman video.  Both good choices ;)

Hey jeff about time you start sharing your wealth of knowledge here again.

9 hours ago, JLSleather said:

ANother 6 months gone by, I see we're still watching Sam and those GIRLS in the Greg Allman video.  Both good choices ;)

You been gone so long I finally made something out of the scrap you gave me.

Jeff!!! great to see you at least check in once in a while. I for one have missed your insight and humor.:cheers:

One vid I'd like to see is you explaining your great "holster pattern making theory" its such great info that can be used for a lot more than just holsters. A vid would be very useful  because although you explain it well I must admit I had to reread it a couple times before  I really got it, and I think others might give up and miss out on some terrific techniques. Now THAT would be good quality lernin :begging:

If you want video ideas may I suggest "what not to do"?

It would use up a ton of leather and time but leather hobby people of the past couple years, myself included, are almost entirely Internet trained. I'm guilty of skipping around in videos and finally watched the above vid all the way through. He makes mention quickly of what not to do but I didn't pay attention to the audio I would have missed multiple things.

What not to do can even be broken down into categories of safety, immediate results or effected quality over time.

When I was originally suit shopping for my wedding, the "don't make these mistakes" images were more useful and better for immediate learning than advice that takes years of practice to even know what your looking for.

Also learning by reading means I have no idea how to pronounce anything. Skiving? Skeeving? Skyving? Skeaving? Skehving?

Edited by Dun