MarkJay

Top Loading Duffle Bag Blues

I have stitched myself into a corner. I am super new and this is my first time at a large project.

I am making a top loading duffel bag out of 2/3 ounce veg tan leather. I am unable to find hardwareto make the closure with grommets and a duffel keeper. The only duffel keeper I have found on the market is powder coated black. All current hardware is brass. I have not found a 1 inch inner diameter grommet in brass online. Nor do I know how to fabricate or purchase the keeper that the grommets would sit on top of and the strap with class onto for final closure. Looking for options to manage this problem.  I am open to other ways of closing the top of the bag.

here are some pics for what it's worth

image.jpg

Ohio travel bag and The Buckle Guy are worth checking if you haven't.  I found these, but they might be too small for you.

image.png

Thank you Tugadude.  I like the quality and dimensions of these grommets; though I just checked the thickness of the edge and see where "economy" sides offer challenges with thickness variation.  I could sew reinforcing patches to accommodate the tube length.   Hardware Elf sells a duffle bag keeper that I could use and paint if necessary.  

Edited by MarkJay

I'd like to make one of these but I'll be hand stitching. Not really sure how to stich the bottom on.

Kiwikan, hello, this is hand stitched with a saddle stitch.   Not as difficult as it looks.    I pre-punched the leather and sewed the shape took over.  I have learned to punch holes about 3/16 of an inch from edge to have solid seam. Here's a pic of the bottom.   

image.jpg

Nice thanks. Was the actual bag part hand stitched too?

That is quite the undertaking and I am really looking forward to the finished product!

Ended up bending 1/8 inch brass rod for the keeper.  Found and repurposed an old brass buckle from a local saddle shop.  Improvised lambs wool shoulder pad.  The leather is softening up where it is folded.   I learned many things:  planning out small details before putting in first stitch is my biggest take away, though every problem I had resulted in a new skill and understanding of leather working.  

image.jpg

1 hour ago, MarkJay said:

I learned many things:  planning out small details before putting in first stitch is my biggest take away, though every problem I had resulted in a new skill and understanding of leather working.  

Yes, there's the big takeaway -- there's so many puzzles to solve that teach us how to work with the material. 
The finished piece is very attractive -- a unique bag that should last for years!