Gjenganger

Greetings from Norway

Hi!

My name is Yvonne and I´m writing this from Norway. Did some leather work when I went to agriculture collage some years ago but have forgotten mostly everything. Made a halter and a leash, which I still have and remember hos fun it was to make it! Have wanted to start doing leather work for a while now but I have not had the time for it. 

Im from the rain city of Norway, with rain 260 days a year we have a lot of "inside weather". Weather were you rather want to do something inside a warm house rather outside in the storm and leather work is perfect for this! 

Got two miniature horses, Speedy and Junior, and they are the main reason why I want to start leather work. I want to make things for them that I can´t find because of their small size. Halters and bridles tend to be too big for them.

I do everything with them. Hiking in the woods, therapy in nursing homes, driving and so on. Would love to make things for them! Norse halters and bridles, driving rains and so on. 

Are there any good webpages about making halters, bridles and other nice stuff for horses? Books?

10177379_773821969404051_5736313325701375078_n.jpg

11139415_816731058446475_1219910583078684889_n.jpg

12594009_878742328912014_1108208073478324557_o.jpg

15895998_1148740525245525_2560349747440747258_o.jpg

Yvonne,

I have always said,"If I owned horses, your little guys would be the ticket."

Thank you for the photos and welcome to the forum.

I am sure there are many folks on here that make just what you are looking for. You will get lots of help.

Ferg

Hello and welcome to the forum! I can't think of any books at the moment. If I do I will try you let you know. I would think making straps (belts etc.) would use very similar technics. Maybe start by researching that.

What I can suggest is looking at Abbey England (http://abbeyengland.com). They specialize in selling leather and hardware for harness and bridle. Great resource for the kind of work you want to do. You don't have to be a business with them to get an account. I have ordered from them a few times.

I hope someone with bridle/harness experience can help you!

-Adam

Beautiful photos by the way :) 

Edited by arz

Welcome to the forum.  You might do a google search of tack making books.  I know there are many out there but I am not a tack maker so I can't give you specifics.  There are also some good horsey Facebook groups that might help.

There is an entire subsection on tack towards the bottom of the forum. A lot of people should be able to help you there. I just thought it snowed in Norway is why my forebearers settled in Wisconsin and named the town Scandinavia. Lol