Looking to make a set of chinks and pair of dove wing spur straps.  I see panhandle has chap leather which I would assume would be what I need for the chinks but what about the leather for the top or belt portion of the chinks?  Also what leather would be best for the dove wings.  Are there patterns on here somewhere for both chinks and the dove wings? Having a pattern for the first set would make me feel way better about tackling this.

If your yokes are going to be tooled or stamped, you'll want a veg-tan of about 6/7 or 7/8 oz.  The spur leathers should be heavier, probably about 10 oz. veg tan or light weight saddle skirting. As far as patterns, do a google search for what you want.  I have never been happy with commercially available patterns (although I haven't tried some of the more recent ones)  and my chink patterns have been developed over a period of 30+ years. I still tweak them every once in awhile.  I don't typically sell or share my patterns, but I have a clicker die for the dove wing spur leathers and I'd click out a pair if you want, or take a picture first and see if you like them.  I normally get $16 for a set of spur leather blanks.

Big Sioux I would like to see a picture of your dove wings.  Also on the yokes what section of leather should that come from? What about the legs straps what kinda leather for those?

I will try to get a picture yet this evening.  I have cut yokes from about every place on a hide, except of course loose fibered or flanky leather. About any good, clear spot you can get them out of will work.  It will depend on the individual hide itself, but sometimes there is some decent leather in the center of the belly that you wouldn't use for something that takes a lot of stress and strain.  If cut from leather that is too soft or stretchy, the yokes can stretch out of shape just from hanging when not being worn.  Shoulder leather is ok if not too wrinkly.  I use latigo for my leg straps, probably about 8-9 oz.  Every year I repair a few pairs of chinks where someone used too light of a weight of leather or even splits for the leg straps, and they don't hold up very long. If using snaps, I use a saddle string weight Alum tan and attach the snaps to the strap with a bleed knot.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

I wish panhandle had pictures of the chap leather so you can see the exact color other than a description of the color. Does anyone else have good chap leather or will panhandle email me a picture of the color?

Make it easy on yourself.  Contact "The Hide House" in Napa, CA, or Goliger's Leather in Ventura.  Either one will send you swatches or photos.  They are both easy to work with. I don't know who Panhandle is, as I have never had to go outside these two.  I use them exclusively.  They'll bend over backwards to help you get what you need.

Goliger Leather 800 423-2329

The Hide House 888 443-3468

For the yokes how wide of a strip do most of you start with?  I thought i would cut a strip out and then trace out the pattern and do the finer cutting.  Best way to do this or no?

Tandy sells patterns for chinks and chaps - not too expensive and of course they can be modified.  Why not start there and make your own adjustments as you go along?

I found one from Klenda saddlery Im using was just wondering about laying the yoke pattern over a strip verses laying it on the hide.

Strip of what? 

Lay the pattern out over a piece of 7-8 oz. or 8-9 and trace around it.  Cut out one for each side. Match and smooth them, then take a set of dividers and score a stitching line about 3/8 in from the edge of each.  Then score another line 5/8 in from the edge of each.  Use the 5/8 line as the boundary for your tooling.  If you're going to use a creaser, use it INSIDE of the 5/8 line.  Remember to smooth and burnish the bottom side of each yoke prior to stitching it to the legging leather.

On 7/15/2017 at 0:29 PM, j20 said:

Looking to make a set of chinks and pair of dove wing spur straps.  I see panhandle has chap leather which I would assume would be what I need for the chinks but what about the leather for the top or belt portion of the chinks?  Also what leather would be best for the dove wings.  Are there patterns on here somewhere for both chinks and the dove wings? Having a pattern for the first set would make me feel way better about tackling this.

This is a pair of doves I did a few weeks ago. Made with 8/9oz leather and lined with 2/3oz. You are going to waste leather by cutting a strip or chunk out. What I do personally is lay my pattern on my full side and piece those together as close as I possible can. I'll cut around the pattern then take it to my bench and do the finer cutting. If you cut a chunk out then trace and cut the pattern out you are wasting a lot more leather than you realize. As for pattern's Tandy is good to start with, then as said above you can modify them as you go.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Those look good.  Nice work.

For hand stitching the yokes what should my stitch spacing be and should I use a stitch grover?  Saddle stitch or single stitch?

Those are probably best answerd by what looks best to you. Traditional English saddlery is at 10 spi. 

Edited by Mattsbagger