Dwight

Doc Holiday Shoulder Holster Pattern Needed

Just wondering if anyone has a really legitimate pattern for Doc Holiday's shoulder holster from the movie Tombstone?

Got a friend who wants one, . . . and he wants it as near as I can get it to the original.  

I couldn't find one any place else, . . . and I feel confident in trying to make it on my own, . . . but I thought I'd see if I could save myself some time.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

I'm particularly interested in the tooling, . . . as it looks like it is, . . . but there is never enough detail in the movie to see it real good.

May God bless,

Dwight

Not a pattern, but a better look. It was made by Martin and Sons.

Hi Dwight

I have been after a Doc Holiday shoulder holster for a long time, if you manage to get one could you pass it on please.

Regards Forester

3 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

Not a pattern, but a better look. It was made by Martin and Sons.

Thanks CaptQuirk, . . . but that really isn't very close to the real thing.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hey Dwight!

I found this screen capture on a search of the film Tombstone.  The rig doesn't look tooled to me, but maybe just some border stamping.  Hope this helps,

Mike

doc-holliday-1-historical-character-footage-000723985_prevstill.jpeg

Sorry Dwight, my Google skills let me down.

Thanks, Mike Craw and CaptQuirk, . . . I think we are on the road.

Now to just get my schedule rearranged to get it done.  AND, . . . I'm talking myself into one of those vests, . . . more I see it, . . . the more I like it.

JoAnn fabric, . . . here I come.

May God bless,

Dwight

not a pattern but take a look at this :www.gunblast.com/dillon_holliday.htm

Thanks taltexan and cowhide, . . . I think we're getting closer.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'll be doing pictures, . . . I think I pretty much got the shoulder holster figured out.

May God bless,

Dwight

Really excited to see your work!

If you are able to come up with a pattern would you mind sharing it with me? I am too new at this to make my own patterns well but I still keep trying and learning. I would like one for my Ruger New Model Vaquero in 45 Colt.

Saw a pattern hanging on the rack at Oregon Leather Eugene Oregon done by Brazos Jack wild west series, Callahan shoulder holster

Bobby

On 7/31/2017 at 9:50 AM, Treed said:

Saw a pattern hanging on the rack at Oregon Leather Eugene Oregon done by Brazos Jack wild west series, Callahan shoulder holster

Bobby

Thanks, Treed, . . . The Callahan is similar, . . . and for most would work, . . . the fellow I'm doing this for wants it as near exact as possible, . . . only thing will be the color, he decided on saddle tan, . . . which is pretty light.  He also wanted a full cross draw holster and cartridge belt, . . . got that cartridge belt done for him today, . . . and I was ready for a fight by the time I got done with it tonight.  Just one little problem after another.  But it is the "big" piece that needed to be done.  

The cross draw holster and britches belt will be tomorrow hopefully, . . . and the shoulder holster later this week or first of next week.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hi All

Prototype of Doc Holiday's chest rig. With pattern kindly provided from this thread.

Regards Forester

DSCF7409_opt.jpg

DSCF7410_opt.jpg

On 7/29/2017 at 3:23 PM, x101airborne said:

Really excited to see your work!

If you are able to come up with a pattern would you mind sharing it with me? I am too new at this to make my own patterns well but I still keep trying and learning. I would like one for my Ruger New Model Vaquero in 45 Colt.

For the 101st, . . . for sure, . . . 

Actually, last night I finished up the last of the stamping, . . . today I'm into the dying process if nothing goes wrong, . . . hopefully by the end of the week, I'll have the whole thing together.  

My only "stray" from the one on the movie set, is my customer wanted a lighter color, . . . should wind up similar to Forester's creation.

But this is fun stuff, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

After watching the "shootouts" endlessly, . . . taking screen shots, . . . capturing and printing images, . . . I finally got what I thought was a pretty "true to the movie" copy of what was used.  The color is much lighter, . . . but the customer wanted it that way.

He also wanted a cross draw and a cartridge belt.

May God bless,

Dwight

huckleberry back.JPG

huckleberry front both.JPG

cross draw for lefty.JPG

cross draw back side.JPG

5 hours ago, dikman said:

Looks good Dwight. What a complicated bit of strapwork!

Actually not bad, . . . the strapwork:  one shoulder, . . . one belly, . . . one "up and over" the right shoulder.  

Getting how they did it was the problem.

I found it to be actually pretty comfortable once I got it on and cinched down.  

Ol' Doc died young, . . . so he didn't have to worry about middle age spread, . . . "hangover", . . . etc.  

May God bless,

Dwight

Again.... Beautiful work.

Very creative and original.

Very good looking set.  That's quite a bunch of work there.

On 8/19/2017 at 1:19 PM, Dwight said:

After watching the "shootouts" endlessly, . . . taking screen shots, . . . capturing and printing images, . . . I finally got what I thought was a pretty "true to the movie" copy of what was used.  The color is much lighter, . . . but the customer wanted it that way.

He also wanted a cross draw and a cartridge belt.

May God bless,

Dwight

I know this blog is nearly 4 years old, but is there anyway you could direct me on where I might get a shoulder rig like this? I'm very much like your friend in the sense that I am very particular. I don't want to pay a lot for a product that I'm not fully behind, and you've gotten the look of the shoulder rig more accurate than any other I've seen so far. Many people say, "Doc Holliday styled holster," and your right... it's just not it. So, if there was a way I could give you some business and get one from you, that'd be awesome. 

Good morning James3 . . . yes, I guess you could talk me into making another one.

But you are back a ways in the line of "stuff" I'm doing.

Among a pile of "other stuff" . . . 

Got a Fury holster to do (from Brad Pitt . . . tank commander in the movie "Fury") . . . which is a kind of a complicated piece of work.

As well . . . a full size 45ACP in a shoulder holster . . . with 2 mag ammo carrier under the other arm . . . all incorporated into a pair of leather suspenders . . . for a fellow who steps down the road at about 6'3" and 300+ lbs.

While having to put up with more snow this winter than in the last 3 or so . . . 

But we'll get to you . . . but gotta find the patterns first . . . somewhere in my menagerie of a leather shop.  

I'll need your height / weight / right or left hand / gun you plan to use / color you prefer etc . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight