bristolbrandedleatherco

Handling a heated stamp

Hello all,

I use a heating iron to heat my custom stamps, then transfer the stamp to my piece of leather and finally use my 1 ton arbor press to get a good impression on my leather. I have been using an oven mitt to transfer the stamp from the heating iron to the piece of leather. It's a bit uncomfortable but it worked alright. Well now the heat from the stamp has burned a hole in the mitt. Any suggestions on gloves I can use to handle the stamp? Also, would a heat gun work well for heating my stamps? 

Thanks!

I just started doing this. I use a heat gun, and monitor temperature with one of those temperature "guns" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NM73DX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I take it to 150 degrees F per the Ian Atkinson video, then transferred it using a leather work glove.

Dan

18 minutes ago, Dan Miller said:

I just started doing this. I use a heat gun, and monitor temperature with one of those temperature "guns" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NM73DX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I take it to 150 degrees F per the Ian Atkinson video, then transferred it using a leather work glove.

Dan

Oh ok! Is the leather work glove MADE of leather or specifically FOR leatherwork?

6 minutes ago, bristolbrandedleatherco said:

Oh ok! Is the leather work glove MADE of leather or specifically FOR leatherwork?

No, Just the usual work glove you get at a hardware store for doing yard work, etc.

15 minutes ago, Dan Miller said:

No, Just the usual work glove you get at a hardware store for doing yard work, etc.

Good deal, thank you so much for your help!

For handling a heated stamp, I would use pliers.

Disclaimer: I do not have or use a stamp suitable for heating. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Pliars are good for hot stamps, especially those smaller pliars.    You could always invest in one of those silicone oven gloves.   They are meant to be more 'handy' than the heavier oven gloves. 

Can you wrap or solder a piece of wire onto the stamp? Then bend a loop in the free end like a wool dauber. Blacksmiths do this all the time (on a larger scale) for their top tools.