Primosand

Servo motors for leather sewing

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a little advise before I spend my money. I recently bought a Pfaff 142-6, twin needle upholstery machine that came with a clutch motor. I want to upgrade it with a new servo motor. I'd like to know a couple of things before I spend my money..

1. 550W or 750W ? I have Consew 226R with a 550W Consew servo motor and a speed reducer pulley set up similar to the way Cowboy or Cobra cylinder arm machines come new. It works great but would a 750W work even better?

2. Does adding a speed reducer pulley add torque (piercing power) at very low speeds? Leather sewing speeds.

3. What particular brands are the best deals (bang for your buck) on a servo motor these days? (are all brands the same?)

Check out my new Pfaff 142-6 pictures below. I'm so proud, always wanted a twin needle machine but that clutch motor is down right scary and has to go.

What is a perfectly good clutch motor good for in a re-purposed kinda way? I was thinking a polisher for cleaning up vintage sewing machine parts that have a bit of rust.

Thanks in advance for any advice you'd care to share.

jeff

2017-06-04 034.jpg

2017-06-10_10-08-18.jpg

image2.JPG

I know a bloke who gets his servo motors from China for a very reasonable cost, and he says they are great. They look fine to me, but I am not an expert.

I am also hoping to repurpose the clutch motor from my Toyota DT6, after I get one of the Chinese servo motors. I am leaning towards a polisher/burnisher.

I can only speak for JACK Servo motors. I have two 750W motor + speed reducer in use and I´m very pleased with them very good control and plenty of torque. I sometimes switch my machine heads so I can use 2 motors with 6 - 7 different machines depending on what work I have. I have tried 550W Jack motors and I somehow felt they have a weaker stop brake. So when you have machines with a heavy fly wheel (like Singer 45K or the like) and sew at higher speed the needle seem not to stop at the moment you step of the pedal. I somehow felt the needle still moves a bit when I step off the pedal. So for my purposes I would buy the 750W version again they seem to have a harder / better brake. I´m using theses setups even for "light work" such as binding (Pfaff 345) and zigzag sewing (Singer 307G2) or heavier sewing (Singer 45K, 133K, 111G156) I never had any issues beside the needle positioner does not work in combination with the speed reducers but I figured I do not need the needle positioning at all - I can easily turn off this feature. Some may say this setup (750w + speed reducer) is over powered for some machines but as I said - up to the current day I never had any problems.

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I've ordered a 750W motor rather than a 550W. I'm going to try it out without a speed reducer or needle position and see how it works. I figure I can add the other items later if needed.

Interesting that a speed reducer screws up an add on needle position device. I had not considered that.

thanks again for the help.

07-23-2017 12-08-59 PM.jpg

For what it's worth I have machines with both a speed reducer and needle positioner and have no difficulties. The motor is a Goldstar 550 watt. I have found the combination of the punching power afforded by the reducer, and the ability to stop with the needle in the down position was just what I need for most of the work I do. 

On 7/21/2017 at 10:58 AM, Primosand said:

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a little advise before I spend my money. I recently bought a Pfaff 142-6, twin needle upholstery machine that came with a clutch motor. I want to upgrade it with a new servo motor. I'd like to know a couple of things before I spend my money..

1. 550W or 750W ? I have Consew 226R with a 550W Consew servo motor and a speed reducer pulley set up similar to the way Cowboy or Cobra cylinder arm machines come new. It works great but would a 750W work even better?

2. Does adding a speed reducer pulley add torque (piercing power) at very low speeds? Leather sewing speeds.

3. What particular brands are the best deals (bang for your buck) on a servo motor these days? (are all brands the same?)

Check out my new Pfaff 142-6 pictures below. I'm so proud, always wanted a twin needle machine but that clutch motor is down right scary and has to go.

What is a perfectly good clutch motor good for in a re-purposed kinda way? I was thinking a polisher for cleaning up vintage sewing machine parts that have a bit of rust.

Thanks in advance for any advice you'd care to share.

jeff

2017-06-04 034.jpg

2017-06-10_10-08-18.jpg

image2.JPG