j20

Tell me about knots

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, key word almost.  I hand stitched on shearling to skirts the other night and was thinking I really have no idea what knots I should be using here, which is part of why this question is almost embarrassing to ask I kinda pride myself on my knot tying ability from being around horses the majority of my life and when I wasn't I was in the service I've learned many knots over the years and have forgot very few.  I started my stitch by going through the first hole then going through the second to make a loop did this twice pulled tight tied a square knot with a half hitch on each side ran the dead end of that over so it pulled it up into the stitch on the underside as I stitched for about three inches.  To tie to my needle i tried a surgeons knot had it pull out about a quarter way through then tried a palmer had it pull out and then tied a bowline it never pulled out but was a pain to pull through the holes. Finally got to the end tied two half hitches through where i started then back stitched a little ways and tied two more.  Thinking about it that seems weak.  What are appropriate knots for these situations?  Also had my diamond awl pull out of the handle on the next to last hole but thats another story/question for later.

You need to buy a book on sewing leather.  Tandy has one that was written by Al Stohlman.  Cary Schwarz has a CD for sewing, and there are a few others.  You should be using the two needle method called saddle stitching or a "handy stitcher".  The only knots or half hitches used to secure your stitching would be at the end of your stitching or at splicing.  Also, in the instructional materials, it shows how to affix your thread to your needle.  You DON'T tie a knot to affix the needle to the tread.

Although I sew my skirts on a machine, I would do no different if sewing them by hand.  I start on the top line of the skirts where it will be hidden from sight and not likely to unravel from wear.  I just sew all the way around and sew over the first 3 or so stitches when I end. No knot needed,  and I have never ever had any come un-sewed.  To thread your needles, put the thread through the eye, then run the needle through the thread a couple times and pull. Sounds harder than it is.  Get Al Stohlman's book on how to hand sew leather. It will serve you well. There are also stitching horse plans in there. My brother made me one over 25 years ago and  I still prefer it over the original ones that I have since accumulated.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Unlike Sioux (finally found a point on which we differ) I always sew my shearlings to my skirts by hand.  I use the two needle method, and when I get to the end of a length of thread, I leave the ends dangling until I pick up the stitch with a new length.  Then I tie a blind knot and pull it into the combined thickness of the shearling and skirt leather.  However, one of the guys I learned from simply tied a square knot at the splice and trimmed it short. 

I just checked YouTube...there are plenty of "how to" videos there to watch and learn how to hand stitch leather.  Also, what type of thread are you using?  Are you waxing your thread prior to sewing?

I was using a waxed nylon. I did end my stitch up top where it wouldn't be in a high wear area.