teresamwong

looking for someone to cut 2 inch leather circles -nat veg tan leather

I am looking for someone/or a service to provide me with 2 inch leather, perfect circles. I would like these out of natural color veg tan leather, ~3 to 4 oz. I can provide the leather or you can provide

Can anyone help direct me to a resource? I use these to make my logo. Quantity is ~100, depending on prices.

Thanks!

Teresa

One resource I know of is Brettun's Village up in Maine. They do custom shape cutting -- email them for rates to see if they match your needs and price range:
Website= http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/, email = info@brettunsvillage.com

Have you considered having a custom die made?  You could then use that with a cheap arbor press and save some money in the long run.

Or, get yourself a piece of 2 inch electrical conduit or pipe and sharpen the edge.

DJole - thanks for referral to Brettun's. I will contact them on Monday.

And cjartist - I wasn't sure if a die would work in my hand press. But I will definitely check this out... that would be the simplest of all.

I appreciate the responses very much.

Teresa,

You can have a two inch circle die made for less than $100. You could cut hundreds of your pieces without more than a touchup on the edge.

I make my own Steel Rule Dies but that is another matter. An arbor press will do the job but you need at least a two ton. Your arm will get pretty tired so plan on doing this as you need them.

A square piece of steel at least 3/8" in thickness and about one quarter inch larger than your circle. The steel would be square. That gives you more surface area than the ram that comes with the press.

Plan on cutting just one thickness at a time. Easier and makes all of them accurate.

Also: There are numerous other avenues to take with this if your business warrants that in the future.

Ferg

If you decide on a cutter, and have the room, try one of those free standing 6ton hydraulic jack garage/workshop presses.   Very cheap, and don't take up much floor space.

For a small investment, you can make as many, or as few as you need, and maybe add to your cutter collection with another shape.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I think I will try a die.

Inexpensive circle cutters can be made with circle saws. Buy the size you need, put it in a drill press and with an angle grinder, grind it down to a knife edge.  They work both with a press or just use a mallet to pound it through.  

Thank you for your answer Sonydaze. I have to admit... I have no idea how to do what you are suggesting. I am not that tool oriented, I guess. But I appreciate the effort. I need something super easy.

On 26/07/2017 at 9:30 AM, Sonydaze said:

Inexpensive circle cutters can be made with circle saws. Buy the size you need, put it in a drill press and with an angle grinder, grind it down to a knife edge.  They work both with a press or just use a mallet to pound it through.  

If you don't have a lathe I reckon that's a good tip.

On 23/07/2017 at 8:23 AM, teresamwong said:

I am looking for someone/or a service to provide me with 2 inch leather, perfect circles. I would like these out of natural color veg tan leather, ~3 to 4 oz. I can provide the leather or you can provide

Can anyone help direct me to a resource? I use these to make my logo. Quantity is ~100, depending on prices.

Thanks!

Teresa

If this helps with a clicker press that's about 50 minutes to cut and a quick calculation says a little over 3 square feet should do you a hundred if its clean.

Over this side of the pond I'd charge you a dollar AU each(about 75c US last time I checked) and with your logo done as well. One off stamp made here would cost you another $75AU though. Surely there has to be someone over there can do it.............. Best of luck. Regards Brian