I just joined this site a few months ago, but have been working with leather for 30+ years. I am absolutely blown away by the quality of some of these new leather workers. I understand that the internet has made learning much easier than when I started, but still, some of these projects are just off the charts good. I'm curious to see if some of the other leatherworkers with grey hair agree with me. Cheers!

I would have to agree with you that there are some darn fine youngsters around here but, only those who actually take into account the information that has been provided to them when they ask a question for clarification or to just plain learn.  There are also just as many who want an answer to a question but then don't like that one so they end up continually having issues.  It is very nice indeed though to see that the future of our craft and trade does have some light at the end of the tunnel and that there are enough new leather workers that can carry on our world of leather.  I have been at this for over 40+ years and I still find myself picking something new up every once in awhile.

The joy of the internet is that you can see you are not alone doing this leatherwork, and you get to view such a vast array of quality work.

If there is an image, it's on the internet somewhere, and if it's on the internet, we get to study it.

On 7/23/2017 at 3:46 AM, OldNews said:

I just joined this site a few months ago, but have been working with leather for 30+ years. I am absolutely blown away by the quality of some of these new leather workers. I understand that the internet has made learning much easier than when I started, but still, some of these projects are just off the charts good. I'm curious to see if some of the other leatherworkers with grey hair agree with me. Cheers!

An excellent point!  I got my start right here about 4.5 years ago.  Its an amazing community with a lot of collective knowledge.  Welcome.

On 7/23/2017 at 4:56 AM, NVLeatherWorx said:

I would have to agree with you that there are some darn fine youngsters around here but, only those who actually take into account the information that has been provided to them when they ask a question for clarification or to just plain learn.  There are also just as many who want an answer to a question but then don't like that one so they end up continually having issues.  It is very nice indeed though to see that the future of our craft and trade does have some light at the end of the tunnel and that there are enough new leather workers that can carry on our world of leather.  I have been at this for over 40+ years and I still find myself picking something new up every once in awhile.

This is true.  Its ok to ask a lot of questions, and take from them what works for you, but if you don't put any of it to use, it can be a bit confusing.

Yep, some them youngsters doin' really nice work. Open mind, really -- some of us old (er) folks could take a lesson!

Where is John, from Indiana?  Aint seen / heard from that boy in a good while.  He may even be old enough to have a beer in some states ;)  Kid did very nice tooling (like, in his teens already better than most!).