Hooksetz

Adler 30-1 help

I came across an Adler 30-1 (grey). When  I bought it was missing throat plate, and bobbin....I searched and from what I found was Singer 29K parts should fit, so I bought the needle plate, bobbins, and plate pin. Well the bobbins fit, but plate or pin do not...is there another singer that is compatible? Maybe I got mis information

20170724_214519_240x320.jpg

20170724_214611_240x320.jpg

20170724_214452_240x320.jpg

20170724_214545_480x640.jpg

20170724_214508_240x320.jpg

Oh I must also add, this is my first machine, but I do leather work at a shop on wknds with a lady who has been sewing 50 years. Just never with a patcher....

some 29K and 30-1 parts are interchangeable but not all. Pin does not fit since the Adler plate is held by a screw. Not sure if the plate fit - will check that. I probably have an older 30-1 plate but I´m not sure - could be that is it is a 29K plate... will check.

From what I can make out the Adler plate should be more straight opposed to oblong. My next option is trying to machine the 29k to fit, but I would much rather buy one that fits

Sunny Sewing Center has a nice image gallery of an Adler 30-1 they had for sale. It's a good reference gallery to see what things should look like. 

The throat plate is indeed quite different from the Singer version:

30_11.jpg

Now to find a used one somewhere in this great big world....

@Hooksetz, I looked at the very same machine...but the price was a bit to much for me and settled on a 29K for half the cost of the advertised price of the Adler. The throat plate looks easy enough to machine and would probably only run you a fraction of the cost of what Adler would charge, unless you can find one used! A single piece of flat stainless would do the trick as long as you had the original dimensions...mainly thickness. You could easily make a template for the actual size by using the machine itself. If my garage was not still in disarray from the recent move, I would try to turn one out on my Clausing mill...just because I like to use the old gal!! Hopefully @Constabulary can find one for you!!!

**Edit...on second thought, you could probably get away without using a mill...I might have some stainless kicking around here that may work if someone can get the thickness of the throat plate for you. Then it would be a matter of mounting a needle and marking your holes...that is where a cardboard template would come in handy. From there, mic out the adjacent hole...and you are done. Wouldn't matter the material...carbon steel, copper, or what have you....heck you could probably make one out of plexi or acrylic if you wanted!!

Edited by Chayse

I got a little teary-eyed when I found several of these beautiful Adler 30-1 machines for sale on Ebay in Germany for under $400 just now (examples: http://r.ebay.com/YACnvn and http://r.ebay.com/5BFCMo ) Germany is the place to be if you're into these machines.

Hopefully @Constabulary will find a suitable throat plate for you in his parts stash. 

The part does look rather simple to make, at least the top side looks easy. Some of these have space carved out on the underside, too, which might complicate machining one a little bit.

Edited by Uwe

@Uwe..I did a quick search for the throat plate on the 'bay...here in the States, it will run you $154...on the 'bay in Germany..$90. At looking at the pictures @Hooksetz posted, it seems that the underside of the throat plate is flat...but that is where an acrylic prototype would come in handy, being able to see any interference. He is just a couple hours drive away from me...I am on the opposite coast. Something that could easily be done in a day. The hard part may be finding the screw that holds the throat plate down...although you could easily drill and tap if a replacement could not be located. If you wanted to go all out, I do have some 1/8" titanium plate but it is a royal PIA to work with sometimes...depending on the application. 

Thank you very much Chayse...if it wasn't for the contours on that 29k plate I think I could get it down to size myself ( it almost fits), but it doesnt seat flat on the arm...so yeah it'll have to be flat..cant wait to get it going, to atleast figure out if I can machine sew...lol...or be stuck on a stitching pony my whole life....BTW I got it for 200 bucks, and it looks like that is all that is missing, probably fell off when the people where moving it after their grandma died...

I have 2 needle plates that fit the 30-1 + the screw BUT the plates have been reworked around the needle hoe (brazing) - will add pictures a bit later...

Edited by Constabulary

One plate still needs "new holes" one already has a new hole the other hole is still nice, for sure not perfect but this is all I have...

IMG_1323.thumb.JPG.928156b03fd8543de6b2104fa237e7e9.JPGIMG_1324.thumb.JPG.d7547f90c75335fa6e892496a75eaa9d.JPGIMG_1326.thumb.JPG.3e7dbc10812c1ed496de82c44dc5282c.JPGIMG_1327.thumb.JPG.ca76100fb00deec11d282450917c5404.JPG

Constabulary, how much? And where do I send the money? I just got off work, and was dreading the process of grinding and drilling....lol

Here's the parts for Adler 30-1.

To the best of my knowledge, every part is both available, and very expensive.

Adler 30-1.pdf

2 hours ago, Hooksetz said:

Constabulary, how much? And where do I send the money? I just got off work, and was dreading the process of grinding and drilling....lol

I sent you a PM

Hooksetz,

There are no generic throat plates for Adler shoepatchers.  I have looked for years and want to build some for sale when I retire in a few months.  Not all parts for the 30-1, 5, 7, & 15 are still available.   I have been told a throat plate for a 29-4 will fit an Adler 30-1.  Believe it or not, I have never tried one to see if it will fit. 

I hope to remedy that in the near future.  I have a lot of genuine Adler replacement parts and screws available.  Throat plates are not one of them.

glenn

check with Ralph's industrial sewing machine in denver

Thank you all very much, I have only just found this site and could not be more pleased with the help I have gotten...The parts are coming from Germany, and thank you again very much Constabulary...

4 minutes ago, Hooksetz said:

Thank you all very much, I have only just found this site and could not be more pleased with the help I have gotten...The parts are coming from Germany, and thank you again very much Constabulary...

That the way to do it, good job getting it done.  

Update, package arrived from Constabulary....could not be happier, Adler parts definately fit an Adler machine....lol....now to learn a new art....the art of sewing with a machine...lol

20170803_155607_480x640.jpg

I have an Adler 30-1 patching machine.  The pinion drive gear is worn and doesn't match the other gears well.  Does anyone know where I can buy a new pinion drive gear for my machine???  Thank you for you help.  Will

I will have to check to see what I have in stock.  Gear still available from Durkopp/Adler in Georgia.  Call them and get a price. I think the gear was about $74.00 plus

shipping last time I checked.

glenn

On 1/9/2021 at 4:46 AM, Constabulary said:

1st I´d check with LW member SHOEPATCHER

Can I ask you a simple question Why would you put this clown Suchwarzenegger on this post. This is not the place for political BS. This is a great place to learn about leather working people don't want to see this BS. Please take it down.