Hello All,

I am making 2 breastcollars and 2 halters for a barrel series. I need to know what types of liners can be used. I know latigo, but I am looking at other options as well and would like to just generally know more.

I buy tack blanks and they are clicked out of 9/10oz Hermann Oak.

They will have small inlay panels as well.

Thanks!

Why not just line with more herman oak?  Thinner than 9/10 perhaps, but go back to back and you're done!

14 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Why not just line with more herman oak?  Thinner than 9/10 perhaps, but go back to back and you're done!

Thats what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure it would hold up with sweat and all. It'll be glued and stitched with 277 so it should be fine!

Check for posts by Big Sioux -- thought I heard talk of using harness leather?

7 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Check for posts by Big Sioux -- thought I heard talk of using harness leather?

I did! I was actually just reading through that!

Yes, I have lined many breastcollars with russet harness in the last year.  It should hold up well and be fairly sweat resistant, more so than just regular strap/tooling leather.  The harness leather is easier to get a nice finished edge on than latigo.  I use 9/11 HO Russet for the bodies, and generally cut the liners from the belly and split them down just a hair. 

The liners for the halters aren't quite as critical.  Typically people don't turn their horses out with award halters on, and they take the halters off to work their horses, so sweat resistance isn't as much of an issue.  You can make a lot better use of small acrap with halters than with the breastcollars.  I'm fairly picky about the breastcollar liners, no wrinkly, flanky stuff, and even if I don't split it, I run it backwards through my splitter to firm it up and take the stretch out.  I MIGHT get two sets of liners out of a belly.  I have even used some scraps of English bridle to line the halters with, and don't see why it wouldn't work for breastcollars either if that's what you'd happen to have on hand.

I have used veg tan to line breast collars, but that was mainly because that's all I had. They are holding up fine, but I doubt they will hold up like harness leather. More recently I have been using 5-7 oz latigo to back 13 oz HO. I really like that thickness for roping gear. 

I have been using 3-4 oz veg tan to line headstalls made with 7-8 oz veg tan. That's because I don't have latigo that light and I don't want them too thick. I preshape the outer pieces before gluing the liner. That keeps them from wrinkling too much.

I look forward to seeing the final product.

Randy

22 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

The liners for the halters aren't quite as critical.  Typically people don't turn their horses out with award halters on, and they take the halters off to work their horses, so sweat resistance isn't as much of an issue.  You can make a lot better use of small acrap with halters than with the breastcollars.  I'm fairly picky about the breastcollar liners, no wrinkly, flanky stuff, and even if I don't split it, I run it backwards through my splitter to firm it up and take the stretch out.  I MIGHT get two sets of liners out of a belly.  I have even used some scraps of English bridle to line the halters with, and don't see why it wouldn't work for breastcollars either if that's what you'd happen to have on hand.

I don't have any latigo on hand at the moment so Ill have too order, they are a thin barrel racing breast collar, not really much to them.

18 hours ago, rktaylor said:

I have used veg tan to line breast collars, but that was mainly because that's all I had. They are holding up fine, but I doubt they will hold up like harness leather. More recently I have been using 5-7 oz latigo to back 13 oz HO. I really like that thickness for roping gear. 

I have been using 3-4 oz veg tan to line headstalls made with 7-8 oz veg tan. That's because I don't have latigo that light and I don't want them too thick. I preshape the outer pieces before gluing the liner. That keeps them from wrinkling too much.

I look forward to seeing the final product.

Randy

Thanks, I have a feeling Ill end up with veg tan for the halters but will do latigo on the collars. Glad to hear from a fellow Okie! Pistols Firing!

I would also second Big Sioux's comment about finishing latigo edges. I don't know about harness leather, but it sure doesn't get slick like veg tan.

Randy

17 hours ago, rktaylor said:

I would also second Big Sioux's comment about finishing latigo edges. I don't know about harness leather, but it sure doesn't get slick like veg tan.

Randy

How do you guys tend to finish them then? Same process as with your veg tan? I havn't used latigo before, Ive been lining belts with horse butt and they tend to finish pretty nicely. What do you guys line your belts with? 

I haven't lined a belt. I mostly make tack. I try to rub the heck out of my edges with either beeswax or glycerine saddle soap. However, I recently built an edge burnisher from a bench grinder. I still need to work on my methods, but I think it will help.

Randy