chuckgaudette

Needle sticks in leather

I’m trying to sew two pieces of 5oz English Bridle together. This is the first time I’ve used leather this firm. Typically I use 2-3oz somewhat soft leather. I’m using a PFAFF 335, #92 bonded nylon thread and a size 22 needle. Sewing one 5 oz piece is no problem. But sewing two together and the needle seems to stick coming up causing the leather to pull up with it along with the presser foot. In a few stitches the thread will fray and break. The #22 needle seems to be making a big enough hole. I’ve tried changing the tension on the bobbin. Can some tell me what I can do to solve this problem? Thanks

The 22 needle should be more than big enough for 92 thread.  Are you using a leather needle?  I would try increasing the presser foot pressure.  With my harness machine, sewing heavier things that tend to stick to the needle, I rub some beeswax on the needle. 

Well increasing the presser foot pressure worked. Don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks Sonydaze. 

You are welcome.  I had to smile, because I'm sure we all learn these things the hard way.

You can also use a #20 needle w#92 thread & would need alittle less foot pressure to hold it down.The larger needles create more friction.

5 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

You can also use a #20 needle w#92 thread & would need alittle less foot pressure to hold it down.The larger needles create more friction.

Thanks Bob. I'm trying a #18 right now. Seems to work. I've always used #69 thread with softer leather and had everything dialed in. Switching to #96 and English Bridle sort of throws everything off. 

Also using Titanium coated needles might help: (Groz-Beckert GEBEDUR LR or Schmetz LR TN). I'm using mostly Gebedur and I'm very happy with those.