banjo48

Info Required on Bernina 850 Industrial 1981 vintage

Hi Guys

I know it's not a leather sewing machine but wondered if anyone has any knowledge or info regarding the above machine. I can pick one up fairly cheap locally and it may  come in handy, it's in immaculate home use only condition.

I've already got a Seiko STH-8BLD for the heavier stuff I play with. But I also do a bit of clothing repair and jeans shortening etc. currently on an ancient Singer 201K.

This one comes on a commercial table with heaps of bits and pieces thrown in, but only a clutch motor.

I know we have a wealth of knowledge on here so thanks in advance.

From what I know, this is a machine that superseded the Bernina 217 model.  Quality of the machine is top notch.  Parts could be an issue, not sure.  

Had a look at this machine this am, and bought it !  little old lady had had it from new in 1982, only home use and a heap of extras including a box full of different feet, needles, full ring bound manual and two original oil cans, all in original case.

It's on an industrial table with clutch motor.

Did some googling and it appears their main achilles heal is the cam cluster gear which is the only nylon part, but still available from the UK for $30 if needed, might get one just in case.

They still fetch silly money here in Oz so couldn't let this go, if I don't use it much will put it back up for sale.

Would the bernina 850 sew layers?  Cant find much info 

Thanks

Marievee said..

Would the bernina 850 sew layers?  Cant find much info 

Layers of what ? and how many in total ? at what thickness per each layer ?

All machines ( even domestics ) can sew two layers of 14 oz denim..or two layers of 1.5mm lambskin

Edited by mikesc

850 is not an industrial machine.

Ignore that. My bad - 850 and 850 industrial must be 2x different machines.

Edited by DrmCa

2 hours ago, DrmCa said:

850 is not an industrial machine.

Ignore that. My bad - 850 and 850 industrial must be 2x different machines.

-

Closest thing I could GooleFu up was a.. Chandler/Bernina 850.
Looks Like this one in the ( over priced )  Ebay Link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernina-850-Industrie-Sewing-Machine-w-motor-and-table/362706398525?hash=item5472fc6d3d:g:vGUAAOSw0AFcpjc3

-

I've never seen an Industrial version of the 850,I thought they all were a home machine with a built-in motor.

I know that 850 is a domestic machine but google shows some mounted on industrial tables and those are called "850 industrial" but I am too lazy to investigate into whether those are really the same or different.

5 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

I've never seen an Industrial version of the 850,I thought they all were a home machine with a built-in motor.

Me neither . My neighbor lady next door has the old 80's ' Domestic ' Bernina 850 and it is obviously light weight domestic with built-in motor .

The Industrial 850 is heavier than the domestic with cast body . looks to have got rid of the external 217 design for cam-box's . moved it internally with a Cam-stack for stitch selection like double-throw and Zig's .. etc. .

the Pic. off the Link with top view of internals of the Chandler run of Bernina 850 .

Chandler-Bernina 850.jpg

Edited by nylonRigging

If that is a bunch of zigzag programming disks showing, then it is not a bad machine for $100-150. Still a domestic machine but at least it can do something. But $900 ebay price is a joke.