CTaylorJr

New "stamping" technique

Ever had a customer that you wised would just fall into a hole?  I have a lady that I sell a couple of bracelets to on a maybe quarterly basis.  She pays well, but has become increasingly picky about the pattern, or lack of, on the leather.  

This last request for a wrap style bracelet almost drove me nuts!  Sh wanted it to look distressed and each time I showed an example of what I came up with, she didn't like it.  

So, I figured I'd get the last laugh...  I cut out a 1/2" strip of 7/8 leather, SOAKED it in some water, laid it down on my exposed aggregate drive way, and then knocked the snot out of it  several times with a poly hammer.  This stuff is a lot tougher than I figured it would be...

After doing that, I allowed it to dry, then knocked off the corners and applied some Resolene to the top.  About 4 hours later, I hit it with some medium brown antique.  She loved it, and I'm now making 2 more for her...  To make matters worse, now my bride wants me to make her something with this "new" pattern...  Ugh... :rolleyes2:

All of the pics here are of the same piece of leather...  If you look close, you can see tiny bits of gravel and sand embedded in the leather...

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Funny.  I've done something similar.  I have a pebbled stepping stone I use and after I wet it, I aly it on and put a board on top.  then I walk on it and bounce a couple of times.  Similar result.

Good use of the Res and dye though.  I like it..

Dayum..  I was putting that stuff in the scrap bin.  What was I thinking...

Congrats on satisfying the customer, though.  I had one that I made 5 prototype purses for, and on the last one, let me know she wasn't ready to buy, because, well, no $$, even though I cut the price to $45.  We are talking hand stitched, hand dyed, Hermann Oak leather, etc.  :censored2:

YinTx

13 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Dayum..  I was putting that stuff in the scrap bin.  What was I thinking...

Congrats on satisfying the customer, though.  I had one that I made 5 prototype purses for, and on the last one, let me know she wasn't ready to buy, because, well, no $$, even though I cut the price to $45.  We are talking hand stitched, hand dyed, Hermann Oak leather, etc.  :censored2:

YinTx

And that is why ALL custom orders that I take are paid in full prior to any work even starting; hell, don't even cut the leather until "the check has cleared".  

48 minutes ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

And that is why ALL custom orders that I take are paid in full prior to any work even starting; hell, don't even cut the leather until "the check has cleared".  

I agree, but I went out on a limb on this one because the potential was there for a lot of orders from others that would need the same design.  Looks like I'll give the "introductory price" to someone else so they can model the piece instead!

YinTx