Jason046

Acrylic paint over dye?

I am doing a project on veg tan leather with small lettering. I am dying it red and then painting the letters white. I was told you could just dye the whole thing red. Apply a coat of resolene which should seal in the dye and then paint over the red dye. But the red keeps bleeding through the white. Am I not letting the dye dry long enough or maybe not letting the resolene dry long enough.  I'm letting the dye dry about 3 hours under a fan. Buffing then applying resolene with cloth letting dry for 2 hours and buffing then applying the paint. Any suggestions? 

I actually JUST did this. I dyed it red, wiped off the excess. Then I put Aussie Conditioner on it (not necessary exactly, depends on what the project is for) maybe a couple minutes after without a problem. As soon as I buffed out the conditioner I put down a very light coat of white angelus paint on the letters. That first coat the red will still be seen partially. I then repeated about two or three more thin layers of white and it came out completely fine. That's just what worked best for me so far. 

I didn't resolene between dying and painting due to resolene being a sealer. I didn't apply the resolene after painting yet though, I'll do that this evening and see how it holds. I've read plenty that you could resolene the dye and then paint, and plenty that you shouldn't, but I was always afraid the paint wouldn't stick as well, especially when I'm doing things such as shields and radio straps for firefighters. They're known to get beat up. You could always try letting the dye and resolene sit longer, more so the resolene, and then try. I've always done enough dye until it stops sinking in, then wiped it off, so there isn't much that really has to dry. Resolene I only ever did when I was completely finished but before I did stitching, so I couldn't tell you how long exactly to wait. Do a couple test scrap pieces and see what works best for you. I'm definitely interested to see what you find out. 

We do fire department leather too. Lol. Small world. Started up our own business and still run into problems here and there. Always trying to find better ways to do things

Leather is definitely more of those tips and tricks learned over time more than a read up and watch some videos type of craft. Anyone can do it, but it takes time and patience to excel at it. 

I just did a project just like this also.  I used a coat of resolene over black and red dye and then white paint on top.  For some reason the red kept pulling through until I got about three coats of white paint.  The black covered much easier,

Resolene is an acrylic sealer.  The paints are acrylic.  There really shouldn't be an issue of the paint not sticking well to the leather with a coat of resolene in between.

2 minutes ago, cjartist said:

I just did a project just like this also.  I used a coat of resolene over black and red dye and then white paint on top.  For some reason the red kept pulling through until I got about three coats of white paint.  The black covered much easier,

On probably my second coat there wasn't much red pulling through. Third made sure none was pulling through just like yours. Fourth coat seemed to be a bit more polished and clean to me. Do you use thinner or thicker coats?

Nice.  I think I stopped with three and agree that a fourth would have been better.  Ha ha, guess I just lost my patience I guess.

I don't thin my paint very much, just enough to let it flow smoothly for me.  I like and use Golden acrylics.  An art professor once told me they have more pigment than most other common (artist) brands. 

Edited by cjartist

I like to use a soft cloth to put the resolene on and wipe it on. Then buff it off a few hours or overnight. Then apply again. That's been working for me

I never have a problem painting white over the black, just the red dye. But I do notice even after the first coat of resolene on red dye I still have dye coming off when I apply the second coat of resolene. Probably need to keep the process going till no more dye is coming off with the resolene

I tend to do several light coats of everything. That way if I make a mistake or want to fix or change something whether it's color shade or what it's not too too late. 

One of the biggest issues I see with dye bleeding through to paint is that the clear coat wasn't given enough time to dry/cure. Plus, like any painting, the base color will show through white until you get enough coats on to make it opaque.

I airbrush mop n glo thinned 50/50 with water. If I give it 2-3 coats, and it dry for a day, I don't get any bleed through. If I only wait till its dry to the touch it will bleed through like crazy.

Thanks, I have neglected the painting aspect because my wife does all the painting. She has done this for awhile so I feel more comfortable with her doing it unless it's simple. So much time goes into a project I usually don't want to risk ruining it. But I need to start putting in some work on painting too