Sterlclan1

211g165 upper thread looping

I recently picked up a 211g165 it had fabric sewn in when i got it.oiled it built a table and tried it out...the first pass went well,but only managed to get one like that. the upper thread catches the hook fine but as the loop slides off the hook it loops and catches the back side of the curved part that holds the bobbin case in(it has two screws and and if you remove them the case comes out) is this a timing issue or a tension issue? if i try enough i can get a good run of stitches without the extra loop and even with the extra loop the stitches look fine. it appears that the take up spring disk is worn some there is a groove where the thread goes over the little tab any advise? the screwdriver is pointing to what he loop catches when the needle starts to rise at that time the edge of the clamp is under the needle plate thanks Jeff

IMG_0066.JPG

Edited by Sterlclan1

You need to hold on to the needle thread for the first 3 stitches when you start sewing,also looping underneath is almost always either top tension too loose or threaded incorrectly.

yeah but its the top thread that makes a long loop,it gets caught and travels around with the hook tightening the top tension makes no difference.at the end of the stitch run when you pull the fabric out there is three top thread strings and one bobbin thread,cut the top thread and the long piece will come out.

Edited by Sterlclan1

When you stop sewing have the take-up lever all the way up.This is the chrome part you thread through that goes up & down while your sewing.That will put the hook in a position where that thread is released.

so that will pull the last loop out ?it would be the last stitch making the loop?if i stitch by hand i can see it catching but it slides off, at speed i cant see whats going on.I have made a few decent runs just not consistent.

watched some really good videos (thanks uwe) checked the whole machine out adjusted the timing a little and adjusted the needle.it seems to be better,thanks for the help cowboy bob i think the take up lever thing was the trick,it sure is different than the 1909 new home shuttle machine i started with.

It can take quite a while to get your head around how industrial machines work, some of the adjustments only have to be out a smidgin to cause problems and it's sometimes tricky to figure out just which adjustment is out. As you get used to the various adjustments it becomes easier troubleshooting them - but it takes time and hands-on fiddling to reach that stage. After all the messing around I've done with my machines I can still get it wrong! A little while ago I made a gunbelt for someone and started running the stitching around the edge. I got halfway and thought it looked pretty good - until I flipped it over, it was a mass of loops!!! I had to cut out all the stitches and re-do it.Seems I'd somehow forgotten to set the upper thread tension (still can't figure out how it happened). Those Singers, by the way, are great machines.