Constabulary

Dürkopp 18 Patcher Restoration - long journey...

Well, I just watched the video in the first post and that is EXACTLY the machine I have! So if the title is correct I have one from around 1890 :jawdropper:!

Thanks for posting it, Constabulary! I had figured (based on the four-digit serial number) it would be from around 1910-1920, but another 20 years older is great. Just shows that back then things were really built to last.

Black Dogg

Edited by Black Dogg
spelling mistake

These machines have been produced in some variants  - please post some pictures of your machine. The early one were green with lots of ornamentation decal. Some even had a drawer poisoned inside the machine casting and not on the stand.

Constabulary, here's the post from three years ago with pics of my machine (and your thread stand ;)):

The drawer on mine is missing, but it used to be on the right side of the stand, under the main part of the head. The two wood guides for it are still there and I want to build a new drawer for it.

Black Dogg

Yup, that's me :wave:.

By the way, when I watched your vid of the restored machine in action, I noticed that in the beginning you seem to be threading the shuttle the wrong way. According to the manual, the thread comes off the spool, out through the long slit, back over the spool and then out through the center hole in the other side. If you need more tension for the bottom thread, you have to feed the thread back inside through the second hole and out the third again. I guess some shuttles even had five holes for really high tension in extra thick leathers or multiple layers.

Finding that manual was a godsend for me; I had spent hours trying to figure out all kinds of different ways to run the thread but just could not get it to work right.

Another difference between your machine and mine I noticed is the flap covering the threadhook on the back of the arm. Yours swings down to open; on mine it is hinged and swings backwards.

Black Dogg

Black Dogg. 

Can I see some pics of your machine?  I have 5 of them to restore.

glenn

Shoepatcher,

there's a few pics in the thread I posted three years ago (see above). If you're looking for some close-up shots, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

How did come by FIVE of these, anyway? Did you buy them from private sales or was there a dealership somewhere over here? I didn't think there'd be so many over here; I had figured they were more of a European machine.

Black Dogg

SO very cool!!! I have what I believe is a 17 series.. love it, but finding the needles that work best is tough

I have needles on order from Bob.. 190D Schmetz so far works the best, I have used Groz 190LR.. but they break more .. any suggestions? 

DSCN2718.JPG

DSCN2719.JPG

Couldn't belive what I just saw...you did an amazing job.. So much knowledge and patience goes into this project..I admire that! 

Edited by shantiandd

Either System 332 LONG needles or System 88 but 332 LONG has a slightly sticker shaft. So both systems are possible, both are ~ 55mm long in total. I have underlined 332 LONG because there is a system 332 as well (not long) which is 45mm long.

Nice machine by the way - yet the Class 17 is one of the few patchers I have not sewn with. :)

What is the max stitch length this machine can do? My Class 18 was babel to sew phenomenal 8.5mm long stitches.

I ended up getting the 328 needles and they worked wonderfully, but I ran into a snag with a broken part in the needle bar shaft...  :( I could get it to stitch up to almost 1/4 inch 

Not even sure what it is called

DSCN2720.JPG

Well Hello after a few months - we finally have the broken part almost all the way machined.. but someone has miss placed the needle bar? 

Does anyone have a needlebar for this machine ? 

The correct needle system for that machine is System 88, the same needle used in the #3 or #30 big bobbin Claes shoepatcher.   They are available and ZI have some of the smaller sizes.

glenn

Constabulary, thank you for sharing your amazing work on restoring this amazing machine. I loved watching all the pictures, video and details.

Thanks a lot - glad you like it! I no longer own this machine.

It was a lot of work but it really was an interesting project. Especially because of the special hook / shuttle system. I still don´t know why this machine produced a 8.5mm stich length - it really is / was amazing!

For CONSTABULARY.......this note has nothing to do with the above, but is seems the only way I can contact you. I read in one of your posts that you had a manual on the BUSM A1 machine. I was hoping you may let me have a copy of this. I have an A1 which I restored....have also a BUSM HM6.

My email is: petergmain AT msn DOT com.....or find me on Facebook:.....https://www.facebook.com/peter.main.96.

I have just started a page on Facebook:....Pearson HM6 Group.

I thank you,

Peter

Edited by Wizcrafts
I obfuscated his email address to prevent it from being harvested by scrapers.

Fantastic restore job Folker. Would frighten the life out of me. Good job you know a thing or two about sewing machines eh.

6 hours ago, PeterMain said:

For CONSTABULARY.......this note has nothing to do with the above, but is seems the only way I can contact you. I read in one of your posts that you had a manual on the BUSM A1 machine. I was hoping you may let me have a copy of this. I have an A1 which I restored....have also a BUSM HM6.

My email is: petergmain AT msn DOT com.....or find me on Facebook:.....https://www.facebook.com/peter.main.96.

I have just started a page on Facebook:....Pearson HM6 Group.

I thank you,

Peter

I know I had one but I cannot find it atm - sorry!

my BUSMC machines (A1 + #6HM) are one - its a bit a pity but I have space issues and my main focus is on Singer machines though I would love to have / try out a  BUSMC PILOT one day. :)

Hi, I have what I believe to be a Dürkopp possibly 17 or 18, really not sure. I have not tried it. I did notice it is missing the bobbin winder, not sure if it’s missing anything else. Also wondering how old is it? If anyone has some info on this please let me know and if anybody has a bobbin winder to sell, thanks!

AD09F9C8-F43A-4812-B8B9-3E1C1A179FE7.jpeg

186E9D2F-3515-4B16-95EC-CC18331593FC.jpeg

86172553-B501-427B-9BA9-62C57C282C96.jpeg

E673D221-9B45-4B4D-9370-1E84483B3EB2.jpeg

6F937C54-C214-44BC-8E65-372262654A46.jpeg

AA8EB51E-5230-46EC-B9A2-E61DB1DEEB90.jpeg

97784591-696F-4921-994E-A2B73FB55556.jpeg

6D93325E-4B95-4C32-AC50-04D45D34D614.jpeg

You have a Dürkopp Class 17 with a needle plate that most likely comes from a Singer 29K - Interesting modification! But from the pictures I cannot tell the subclass, But I think it is a small or medium size hook. I have no source for the bobbin winder or other parts - maybe LW Member SHOEPATCHER has something. I´m sure he will jump in here soon.

Let me check.  The red paint does not look cool in my opinion. I will check this weekend.  Too busy today.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

5 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

The red paint does not look cool in my opinion.

I agree. Some people have strange ideas about painting things.:blink:

Looks like you are being warned to stay away from it?

Bert.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:26 AM, Constabulary said:

You have a Dürkopp Class 17 with a needle plate that most likely comes from a Singer 29K - Interesting modification!

I have to revise this - seems some Class 17 models actually came with this type of needle plate. I have learned something new! The class 17 came in some variants as it seems (probably even beside the sub classes). Unfortunately finding information on these models quite a challenge. :wacko:

What a wonderful way to begin the day.   I have a very nice old Durkopp 17 with that exact needle plate.  I will get some Christmas ornaments off the top of it and get some photos today.  Next to it is my 29-4 that needs a screw for the bobbin carrier.   Now I can start finding the few parts I need to make both run again.  The 29-4 came from a friend who did automotive upholstery until Agent Orange claimed him some thirty years ago.  I took out a piece from curiosity......now maybe I can replace it.  Bad habit...note to self, "Don't take stuff apart.....that you can't put back together in ten minutes".... 

The Durkopp followed me home from the Midwest Horse Fair in Madison, WI a few years back.  Just need a threading diagram I think.

God bless