Constabulary

Dürkopp 18 Patcher Restoration - long journey...

:o 9.5 !! that is very long? are you sure you did not put some parts on back to front? jjjj so with the Pfennig inside you will maybe get 15mm long:blink::lol:.

Indeed! But I had to make some adjustments on the cam that controls the thread lever and the hook that garbs the thread - I ended with 8.5mm when practical sewing and so far no skipping stitches.  I think I have to do fine tuning but it can´t be much. I will test some thicker materials too - this is 2.5mm synthetic material.

I´m really impressed! I never expected this stitch length from a decades old patcher machine! I mean if you compare this with old Singer 29K´s or Adler 30 of the same age ... thats really impressive!!!

Dürkopp 18  (1).JPG

Dürkopp 18  (2).JPG

Dürkopp 18  (3).JPG

So..obviously you are going to keep this one ..size matters :)

It is sewing wonderfully... Very nice for such a machine...

I am still in wonder at all the shiny bits...  I have bought citrone saure and going to try and derust some stuff... I wan to get as good as your result... 

I am also looking at buying a car batterie charger to attempt some electrolysis...

I am looking for the least physically demanding derusting method... :)

Thanks for keeping us entertained...

6 hours ago, alexitbe said:

I am looking for the least physically demanding derusting method... :)

Battery charger, some clamps, wire and old wrenches. 

Or white vinegar and a little elbow grease.

Here is WAY more than you wanted to know:

That stitching (and the machine) is looking good.   Another cracking job well done.

Mike - unfortunately I most likely will not keep it - though the stitch length and the whole machine is really tempting to keep but I do not have enough space for it and I do not have enough work for another patcher. I cannot justify it to myself (though it sucks a bit).

Yet no Video but I figured I can sew up to 9-10mm thick material with it. I´m no video artists so I will try to put something together that is worth watching - hopefully.

uploading right now - hope it will work - as I said I´m no video artist (obviously)

Edited by Constabulary

Beautiful job Constabulary! I think you restored the machine to just the right degree. I especially like the bobbin boat and winder, not to mention that crazy hook mechanism.

If that's the one that you're letting-go, you must have some very special machines. If I was a few thousand kilometers closer, I would definitely buy it.

Gary

Yep, I agree, very nice job indeed! I can't believe how you managed to get all the bright metal parts so clean!

Constabulary,

What a beautiful job of bringing that fine old machine back to life.......fascinating and informative.  My hats off to you.

Thanks a lot :)

Here is a list of subclasses for the Dürkopp 17 and 18 Class (German language - sorry). I think this list is from the early 1930´s

Dürkopp 17 18.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

That's an impressive piece of german engineering, and equally impressive restoration! 

I Always thought I should stay clear of the Dürkopp patchers due to not having parts available, but they just might be worth the hassle anyway.

Patcher machines are always so neat looking, and can really get the job done. Amazing to see what youve done to clean it up and get it back in working order. Keep it up! 

Where did you find a manual? I'm trying to find one for my 17 model, one that is hopefully written in English.

I have no english manual - I once bought a German photo copy on Ebay put figured some pages are missing and some are double - forgot to complain so my fault :lol: I have no complete manual.

You mention you might decide to not keep this machine. If you decide to sell let me know.

Thanks!

Mark

37 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

I have no english manual - I once bought a German photo copy on Ebay put figured some pages are missing and some are double - forgot to complain so my fault :lol: I have no complete manual.

Watching your video , I believe I am missing the final tensioner/guide above the needle shaft. Do you know where I could get one? I would post a picture but I don' know how, always say file too large. My machine has the round bobbin not the shuttle system like yours. The model # is missing.  The small plate above the foot reads 39635 which I assume is the serial#. I really appreciate all the info I've been able to glean from you. There is very little info I can find on the web. Thanks

If you have a round bobbin then yours is a Dürkopp 17 with oscillating shuttle hook. Only the Dürkopp 18 has this fixed boat type shuttle.

Check with LW Member SHOEPATCHER - He probably has a few parts he could part with.

Reg. resizing pictures - if you have a Microsoft Windows system try this one:

https://www.digitalred.com/support/windows/image-resizing/

I´m using it for years and cannot live without it - very easy to use.

Great job on that one Folker :thumbsup: keep that old iron going... haha. and that is a very neat looking type of patcher! they look way better than the modern ones?.:spoton:

I often use the FastStone Photo Resizer, found here. It is fairly simple to understand and can compress, reduce, crop, enhance and sharpen images to fixed or variable dimensions. I like that it has the option to create a new image name containing the changes, leaving the original untouched. Best of all, it is free for most home/private users.

38 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

If you have a round bobbin then yours is a Dürkopp 17 with oscillating shuttle hook. Only the Dürkopp 18 has this fixed boat type shuttle.

Check with LW Member SHOEPATCHER - He probably has a few parts he could part with.

Reg. resizing pictures - if you have a Microsoft Windows system try this one:

https://www.digitalred.com/support/windows/image-resizing/

I´m using it for years and cannot live without it - very easy to use.

Thank you, I  use my phone or tablet, I'll have to see if that will work. Thanks again for all your help!

Very impressive job, Constabulary! Da sag ich nur: "Hut ab!" B)

I bet you wish you would have kept that threadstand you sold to me a couple of years ago ;), it would fit perfect with that machine.

If you need the complete manual for it (or a class 17), try  www.altenaehmaschine.de . Mr. Bethke has scans of the original manuals there. they helped me finally figure out how to thread mine.

By the way, what's the serial number of your machine? Mine is 4910 and I think fairly early, because of how fancy the stand and paint are.

The front crank on yours was an option that had to be special ordered when you placed the order with the factory and was more money. It was meant to make starting easier (instead of reaching around the side one could just use the front crank). As far as I know, every machine has the round cut-out cast into the body.

And yes, I heard the same about the factory being destroyed in an air raid at the end of WW 2. A crying shame, if you ask me; those machines are awesome!!

Again, very nice job on the restoration!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Black Dogg