garypl

My First Dog Collar

I made my first dog collar using a crocodile (or alligator? I don't know how to tell them apart) embossed 1-1/4" belt blank I bought from local Tandy store.  I lined it with 3-4 oz veg tan and sewed it with 207 thread.  Buckle and D ring secured with Chicago screws.  Fiebings oil dye and finished with Resolene followed by wax.  Edges are finished with two coats of Giardini black edge paint.

I hope it's not too thick - I made it for my son's dog (50 lb pit bull named Petey) and I wanted it to be secure.  I think it will soften up a bit with use.  I hand stitched the buckle end with .8 mm Tiger thread, but it looks a lot whiter than I expected compared to the other thread I used - guess if it doesn't blend in more with use I can always reset this part.

i think for my next collar I will try some bridle or Latino leather - any suggestions which would be better?

i appreciate all comments and criticisms!

Gary

EDC0C640-2F6D-423C-A1BE-F7758074851C.JPG.1edc49085ffc419aa6a63ab3a74f91fb.JPG'

Looks good to me! I've done 3 of them lately, all to rave reviews, waiting for the orders to flock in. The recipient (neighbor) works at the local vet's office, so this could work out. Did get two more knife sheath orders today, though! More work, but more money, so it's all good!

Thanks Alpha - I should have proofread before I submitted my original,post - meant to say I might resew the buckle end and maybe use latigo next time - darn spell checker!

What type and weight leather do you use for the collars you make?

Gary

I use 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 (3,2 cm - 3,8cm) in my collars ... I use vag tan shoulder. Works great... 

I like your collar and nice stitching!

Looks awesome! Looking in at the inside at the stitching I would say maybe take a cobblers hammer to it and flatten down the stitching some.

3 hours ago, ByNelson said:

I use 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 (3,2 cm - 3,8cm) in my collars ... I use vag tan shoulder. Works great... 

I like your collar and nice stitching!

Thanks!  Do you line your collars with anything?

2 hours ago, Mark842 said:

Looks awesome! Looking in at the inside at the stitching I would say maybe take a cobblers hammer to it and flatten down the stitching some.

Thanks Mark - I did tap the bottom stitches down some - I will have to hit them again!

Looks great to me! The only thing I would have done differently would be to round off the edges with a beveler. I really like the color contrast with the stitching. I wouldn't change that at all. One thing's for sure, if I had made that I wouldn't let my dog wear it and scratch it all up! Good work!

13 minutes ago, Rolandranch said:

Looks great to me! The only thing I would have done differently would be to round off the edges with a beveler. I really like the color contrast with the stitching. I wouldn't change that at all. One thing's for sure, if I had made that I wouldn't let my dog wear it and scratch it all up! Good work!

Thanks Roland - I thought about edging it, but I was concerned that the thin leather liner would not look smooth if I tried to bevel it.  I'll look at the collar after a few months and see how it is wearing - I need to invest in some nice quality leather - a lot of what I have seems soft and stretchy.

Sometimes I do polyethyle foam as padding.... but I also really like them all natural like in the attached photo. 

IMG_6021.JPG

4 hours ago, ByNelson said:

Sometimes I do polyethyle foam as padding.... but I also really like them all natural like in the attached photo. 

IMG_6021.JPG

Nicely made - I think I need to add a keeper to keep the tip of the collar flat.

11 hours ago, garypl said:

Nicely made - I think I need to add a keeper to keep the tip of the collar flat.

Yeah the keeper is a really nice addition to the final product :)

Just be sure you use a welded D ring. I had to whip up a collar at 4 AM one morning, and did not have a single welded D ring on hand. What I ended up using worked for several weeks, and finally failed today.

I agree - the only type I use are welded!

chicago screws are not the best way to strengthen the item witch can potentially experience force pressure.

tubular rivets will do better reinforcement, or simply sewing.

43 minutes ago, nrk said:

chicago screws are not the best way to strengthen the item witch can potentially experience force pressure.

tubular rivets will do better reinforcement, or simply sewing.

Good point - I also stitched the buckle end as extra insurance!