SouthernCross

Foam press for leather holsters?

Does anyone here use a foam press to mold their leather holsters?   I ask because I was talking to a holster maker at today's gun show in Raleigh and the guy said that he uses a foam press to mold his holsters.  I know that foam presses are typically used for kydex holsters, but I didn't know about them being used for leather. 

they do, but, I don't think it is the kind you are think about?  a lot will take a 12 to 20 ton press and get some gum rubber to use to form the holster.

24 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

they do, but, I don't think it is the kind you are think about?  a lot will take a 12 to 20 ton press and get some gum rubber to use to form the holster.

Hmmmm let's put a 4 figure Kimber in that lol!! For blue guns maybe but this dude will stick to vacuum molding my hide, haven't had any issues to date and that's been in every thing from motorcycle tanks to Zippo lighters do those with gum rubber and 20 ton!

15 minutes ago, Sanch said:

Hmmmm let's put a 4 figure Kimber in that lol!! For blue guns maybe but this dude will stick to vacuum molding my hide, haven't had any issues to date and that's been in every thing from motorcycle tanks to Zippo lighters do those with gum rubber and 20 ton!

Little things like the zippo lighter pouches and vacuum moulding and such it can be worth after getting your first one right doing a vacuum moulded outer with a thermoplastic. After that you can do multiples and just stick down in a normall press. Pics below shough give you the idea.

DSC03833_resize.JPG

DSC03835_resize.JPG

DSC03830_resize.JPG

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a link to a DIY vacuum former? 

google that same question and there should be a lot pop up, that is what I did when I built my vacuum press.  they really aren't hard to build once you have an idea as the which way you want to go.

Try this forum - www.tk560.com.  

I found it very useful for info on biulding my little vacuum former (made from an old foldup picnic table, some wood, an old hoover, and a George Foreman grill.   Thank you Blue Peter).    

2 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

google that same question and there should be a lot pop up, that is what I did when I built my vacuum press.  they really aren't hard to build once you have an idea as the which way you want to go.

That is a good answer. If you can narrow the what and how method down then you may find a way that best suits your abilities. Here's a link that to me is an easy one perhaps by just drilling the holes instead of the fancy laser stuff.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPxCPwRxzZg

The one I built for myself was many years ago out of a lot of scrap like shopping trolleys and stuff I had laying around. I built it to be able to do a lot of different vacuum operations and I had the advantage of seeing a couple of other presses that I thought I could improve on such as not using individual clamps for holding the frames together.By pulling the handle down on the right the frames come down and lock in and then the Vacuum starts. I did not have cad software then and was sort of just made on the run as a lot of my stuff is. I think it is a bit elaborate for most but it may help with some ideas as It looks to me like a lot of people making the videos could use a few. Here a few pics of mine in the pdf file.Vacuum Forming machine2.pdf Regards Brian

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

That is a good answer. If you can narrow the what and how method down then you may find a way that best suits your abilities. Here's a link that to me is an easy one perhaps by just drilling the holes instead of the fancy laser stuff.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPxCPwRxzZg

The one I built for myself was many years ago out of a lot of scrap like shopping trolleys and stuff I had laying around. I built it to be able to do a lot of different vacuum operations and I had the advantage of seeing a couple of other presses that I thought I could improve on such as not using individual clamps for holding the frames together.By pulling the handle down on the right the frames come down and lock in and then the Vacuum starts. I did not have cad software then and was sort of just made on the run as a lot of my stuff is. I think it is a bit elaborate for most but it may help with some ideas as It looks to me like a lot of people making the videos could use a few. Here a few pics of mine in the pdf file.Vacuum Forming machine2.pdf Regards Brian

Brian, your ingenuity amazes me!

Yes - I have use my kydex press to mold leather holsters with no issues. I am not sure where the 20 ton press idea comes from - that is not what is used for kydex molding. Using a kydex press for a leather holster is a good start for the molding process, but you still end up using your hands and some sort of tool to finish it... 

This is a kydex press

;

Verticlmain.jpg

Edited by K5HEP

11 hours ago, garypl said:

Brian, your ingenuity amazes me!

Thanks - but really living in Australia makes it more a necessity. Don't get me wrong though a challenge is always more fun.:P

9 hours ago, K5HEP said:

Yes - I have use my kydex press to mold leather holsters with no issues. I am not sure where the 20 ton press idea comes from - that is not what is used for kydex molding. Using a kydex press for a leather holster is a good start for the molding process, but you still end up using your hands and some sort of tool to finish it... 

This is a kydex press

;

Verticlmain.jpg

WOW now that looks like fun to me.

Quite a contraption, Brian! Of course, for leather work it can be made a lot simpler as no heating elements are required. I use a compressor head for getting a vacuum, I just hook the chamber up to the inlet side of the compressor head, has no trouble pulling 28" of vacuum.

I built my press from a wine press kit part.

I believe I got 40 duro foam but honestly cant remember as it was a while ago. I was just thinking the other day of getting some slight softer for the first layer in the press.

I don't actually use the foam all that often as I make so few items I enjoy hand forming and boning.

I do use it where I have made a dummy positive of an item and them press a negative around it. Works great for that... the amazing power of the inclined plain.

Bit of McGyver but it does what I need at my scale.

press.jpg

the 20 ton was not mentioned for the purpose of doing kydex with it, it mentioned as a tool for forming leather holster.  If the thought of  one being used in forming leather then I have to figure that you haven't viewed one being used by a leather worker, or have looked Texas custom dies and the offering for sale their 12 ton hydro press for clicking and forming.  A hydro press was being used with leather long before vacuum came along.

On 8/7/2017 at 1:10 AM, OLDNSLOW said:

the 20 ton was not mentioned for the purpose of doing kydex with it, it mentioned as a tool for forming leather holster.  If the thought of  one being used in forming leather then I have to figure that you haven't viewed one being used by a leather worker, or have looked Texas custom dies and the offering for sale their 12 ton hydro press for clicking and forming.  A hydro press was being used with leather long before vacuum came along.

NO doubt! I just prefer vacuum ! ;)

I do as well but have the 12 ton as a back up just I case.