So, I have done a few projects such as belts, wallets, dopp kits, and a duffle bag.  I have settled on mine next major project and could use some guidance moving on to a more complex project (as I see it).  I want to build a pilot bag like the one seen on Buffalo Jackson.  https://buffalojackson.com/large-leather-briefcase-everett-pilot-bag-camel.html  I believe that I can get the basic shape, the pockets, the handles, and the strap right.  What I am not sure about how to complete is the inner pockets for the laptop and tablet, the pocket that is accessible from the outside (making a hidden pocket), adding loops for pens, and the lining without showing all of the edging. I also still debating the welting.  I made a dopp kit that the interior looks terrible because I didn't do a very good job on the inner seams and I don't want to repeat this mistake.  Any advice is appreciated as I would like to work out a solid plan before I start building this bag.  It must be able to fit in the overhead of an airplane as I will be flying frequently.  I am also uncertain as to what thickness of leather would be best...2/3, 4/5?  I am still debating hand sewing this or using that most aggravating sewing machine I got from Tippman....leaning more towards hand sewing to reduce blood pressure and cussing.  I am not so good at pattern making but will try to put together something decent to post to the group as I work through this project.  Looking for a little group think on this project to make it as good as I can and any help is greatly appreciated.

Looks like an ambitious project, look forward to seeing it progress.  If you are seriously considering hand stitching, be ready for many many hours, as that thing looks like it has about a mile of stitching in it!  Think I'd be tempted to get the machine to cooperate for a project like that.

I think 4/5 oz leather would make for a heavy bag, just an opinion.  Folks seem to think that a heavy leather equates to quality, so maybe go for the 4/5?  Perhaps the body in 4/5 and pockets in 2/3 to reduce the weight..

YinTx

At sub $300 and as many pockets and lines of stitching as it has I would be shocked if the original was thicker than 2/3. If you are looking to sew it with the tippmann you should use the thicker stuff probably over 6 or 8 if you are looking to sew things in the 4/5 oz range sell the tippman and buy the correct machine. No one machine can do everything, look at hammers about as simple a machine as you can get I bet you have more than one and choose different ones for different jobs...  a sewing machine is a lot more complicated than a hammer.