desertwastes

for belts, collars, and harnesses

Hi gang, 

I'm finding it difficult to pick out which kind of leather to buy. I looking for black leather to make things like belts, collars, harnesses, wallets.  Which oz would be best,  should I buy an entire hide since the thickness varies? Any suggestions would be helpful. I will have to buy from an online supplier.

Edited by desertwastes
typo

The easiest for way someone new to get a feel for what is needed to make the various items that they plan on is to visit the Tandy Leather website and look for the link that will explain all of the various weights of leather and what projects that they are best suited for.  It isn't quite the Gospel but it is a great start for a newer worker.  You will need to have a different weight for just about everything that you have listed and also different types of leather based on the application of the finished product so you can't solve your issue with just one item and you might want to consider more than just one color; black is not the most popular one for demand so maybe some natural veg-tan leather and some dyes would be a better start for you.

1 hour ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

The easiest for way someone new to get a feel for what is needed to make the various items that they plan on is to visit the Tandy Leather website and look for the link that will explain all of the various weights of leather and what projects that they are best suited for.  It isn't quite the Gospel but it is a great start for a newer worker.  You will need to have a different weight for just about everything that you have listed and also different types of leather based on the application of the finished product so you can't solve your issue with just one item and you might want to consider more than just one color; black is not the most popular one for demand so maybe some natural veg-tan leather and some dyes would be a better start for you.

Hi Thank you for your reply, I do already have veg tan leather.  I am specifically looking for black leather :)  

I'm happy to buy various pieces of a hide (bend, belly, etc.) according to what each project needs. I just wasn't sure if its more cost effective to buy the whole hide, which I would use, or to buy specifically by piece? 

2 hours ago, desertwastes said:

Hi Thank you for your reply, I do already have veg tan leather.  I am specifically looking for black leather :)  

I'm happy to buy various pieces of a hide (bend, belly, etc.) according to what each project needs. I just wasn't sure if its more cost effective to buy the whole hide, which I would use, or to buy specifically by piece? 

If you plan on making a lot of items then it is much more cost effective to buy your leather by the side versus the smaller cuts as every supplier charges premium for cut sections.

10 minutes ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

If you plan on making a lot of items then it is much more cost effective to buy your leather by the side versus the smaller cuts as every supplier charges premium for cut sections.

Perfect! Will do, thanks!

On 8/6/2017 at 9:36 PM, WRLC said:

desertwastes,

Are you in Halifax, Nova Scotia?

Hey there, sorry I missed this notification somehow. I am in fact in Halifax, Nova Scotia!

Search up Halitech. He haunts this site a lot and is from your neck of the woods. He can help you out some.

7 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Search up Halitech. He haunts this site a lot and is from your neck of the woods. He can help you out some.

Found him. Thanks for the tip! I actually recognize some of his stuff from a cool thrift shop around the corner from my place coincidently. 

3 hours ago, desertwastes said:

Found him. Thanks for the tip! I actually recognize some of his stuff from a cool thrift shop around the corner from my place coincidently. 

No worries, poke him with a sharp stick and tell him I sent you

5 hours ago, desertwastes said:

Hey there, sorry I missed this notification somehow. I am in fact in Halifax, Nova Scotia!

I'm in Moncton. Contact Gil Vineham at Atlantic Leather here in Moncton. He is very good and I am sure he will have what your looking for. He has several hundred hides in stock. if your in the Moncton area, you can go have  a look. He supplies a lot of the leather workers in this region and will be happy to send samples. He also has good quality buckles, rivets, etc. in stock.

Contact info:

Atlantic Leather Products Inc.
Moncton, NB Canada
Phone: 506-856-6837
Email:
atlanticleather@rogers.com